Salem, WI 7/12

Well, this is my first post. I was there last night (no secret, I am a Phantom mom). For me it always starts with the music. Do I like the show? Would I want to sit through it more than once (or go out for concessions during it). I can approach drum corp analytically by caption; however, I choose to post from the heart.

Pioneer - This show seemed very uneven. I know their formula, and they are true to it. I think it is lacking horns (but not percussion). The kids are working very hard!

Crossmen. I really liked their show. They have a lush brass sound, and the guard is integrated quite well in the drill. The music is pleasant on the ear. I thought that their opening set was definitely their strongest. My biggest problem always with Crossmen is that their energy is just not consistent throughout the show. The ending was just quite abrupt (was it really the ending???; oh yes it was). Lots of talent there.

Spirit of Atlanta - Show is entertaining, music familiar, and a nice loud brass sound. They are really bringing it this year, although, I gotta say that the show is a little bit hokey for me (just my own humble opinion - crowd really seemed into it and liking it - lots of Spirit staff watching show near me). Guard does a nice energetic job, and costume changes are seamless (costumes very pretty). Great energy felt from the field. I have to say, though, I truly hate all the voice overs (in Pio or in Spirit). Voice overs never play well in Lucas Oil.

Scouts - Not my favorite show of theirs (and I am a Madison fan). Definitely can see that changes have been made and need to be tightened up. Just don't feel that the guard is used well or integrated well. For me to not notice the guard, well either they aren't bringing it like they usually do; or maybe the drill/costumes are not utilizing them like they should. Love the lead trumpets - always a delight - true Madison sound. Crowd very partisan, loving them and wanting them to break 80 from what I heard around me.

Regiment - what can I say - this is a great show (but I loved Juliet and Into the Light as much if not even more). Tons of changes are surely coming. Biggest on my 'want list' is for the closer to just be more climactic - it isn't a race to the end, it is a journey. You gotta take what made for a

true goose bumps drum corp love moment during the last 90 seconds of Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral at DCI finals last season bringing people to their feet - and find a way to channel that into Nessun Dorma. This is one of the greatest arias of all time - make it memorable, make it hurt. This is what Regiment does - it moves people.

My son did not feel any crowd energy in Salem when Phantom was performing (which is unlike what they have been experiencing on tour). Interesting................

I am in total agreement with you on the closer. As a PR alum, I don't want to see a 'drum-corps-ized' break down after the first mini climax. I want that one to be looooonger and sink into my heart! It won't diminish the finale at all. Let me enjoy the rich, deep, sound of the hornline creating a beautiful moment. Make it a beautiful journey! The crowd was definitely FLAT. Makes me wonder if it was more locals than corps folks than were familiar with the show. Still, a good place to practice the new changes in a competition. Trust me, he'll feel the crowd this weekend. hehe SUTA!

I am in total agreement with you on the closer. As a PR alum, I don't want to see a 'drum-corps-ized' break down after the first mini climax. I want that one to be looooonger and sink into my heart! It won't diminish the finale at all. Let me enjoy the rich, deep, sound of the hornline creating a beautiful moment. Make it a beautiful journey! The crowd was definitely FLAT. Makes me wonder if it was more locals than corps folks than were familiar with the show. Still, a good place to practice the new changes in a competition. Trust me, he'll feel the crowd this weekend. hehe SUTA!

I keep reading things about people being disinterested in the ending. If anyone's ever watched and listened to the opera, the ending has a Nessun Dorma reprise very similar to the ending in Regiment's show. It's very true to the opera.

Totally agree about the local contingent. It was definitely how I felt in the crowd. Won't be in Minnesota this weekend (haven't been to the Minnie show since the Monsoon rains a couple of seasons back), but will be at the Show of Shows DCI Premiere Event in Rockford. Just spoke with my son on the phone - at their practice at the Metrodome today, Brent Crocker was there and announced them (they were all wondering, "Is that a recording', and then came to talk to them. He said it was very cool. There will be a few changes from last night on Saturday. Look for a new 'big hit' in the program. Go Phantom, and all the corps! Have a great show.

• Like 1

I keep reading things about people being disinterested in the ending. If anyone's ever watched and listened to the opera, the ending has a Nessun Dorma reprise very similar to the ending in Regiment's show. It's very true to the opera.

Yes, I have seen the opera recently and loved it. I respect them for staying true to it. I just expressed how my emotions are during that portion. I want them to 'give it to me'! lol

Yes, I have seen the opera recently and loved it. I respect them for staying true to it. I just expressed how my emotions are during that portion. I want them to 'give it to me'! lol

And I bet by Allentown that things will be different, as per usual.