Salem, WI 7/12

Interesting drum score. Phantom in 3rd, especially with people saying Spirit's percussion has been holding them back this year? Was it a bad run for Phantom, or has Spirit been improving this week? No offense here, I'm a big fan of both corps and really want to see Spirit succeed

Who's been known to be pretty harsh on the Scouts...

Marie Czapinski is hard on everybody. She doesnt play favorites or slot and that iss why I think people hate her. She calls it as she sees it whether it goes with other scorings or not.

I admit I hated Marie when I marched (or rather the scores she gave out) but after time I've come to appreciate that at least she's consistent.

• Like 2

Marie Czapinski is hard on everybody. She doesnt play favorites or slot and that iss why I think people hate her. She calls it as she sees it whether it goes with other scorings or not.

I admit I hated Marie when I marched (or rather the scores she gave out) but after time I've come to appreciate that at least she's consistent.

She didn't judge tonight; her husband did.

Though your admiration is most...admirable...NO.

Hey bobjective. Lots of posters throw out words like demand and technical aspects when comparing one corps' show to another's. Can you/our peers be more specific?

After seeing the three corps you have mentioned three times live and on the fan network a few times (I know that doesn't exactly compare) here is my assessment when considering many various aspects

of show design demand for each section of the corps:

Brass book: Spirit over Scouts over Cavies (all aspects of individual and collective demand)

Battery book: Cavies over Spirit over Scouts

Drill variety and demand: Spirit/Cavies over Scouts

Guard book: Cavies over Spirit over Scouts

Pit book: Cavies over Spirit over Scouts

Some specifics:

Body: all about the same at this point

Tempos: all about the same

Movement variety(not body): all about the same

Brass orchestration devices, vocabulary, and variety of styles: Spirit way over Scouts way over Cavies

Battery orchestration devices, vocabulary, and variety of styles: Cavies over Spirit way over Scouts

Pit orchestration devices, vocabulary, and variety of styles; Cavies over Spirit way over Scouts

Demand or character role: Spirit over Cavies over Scouts

Guard variety and character roles, communication demand: Spirit over Cavies over Scouts

I could break all of this down further into use of meter, keys, varied step size and path, variety of body and movement, instrument ranges, mouthpiece on face time, melodic demands on each section, exposure/features per section,

solo exposure, small ensembles exposure, articulation demands, environmental demands and frequency there of, etc.

I just feel that we (including myself) sometimes don't or can't specifically explain our take on things like demand. I think it requires detailed analysis of the "what." Something I do a lot as a judge myself, so much so I can hardly

ever turn it off and just enjoy a performance.

You is Wack!

• Like 3

You is Wack!

Though your point is amazingly compelling, your reasoning is not near supportive enough for me to pick sides, though such is not necessarily necessary.

Madison Scouts truly is a corps with a storied past that is on their way back to competing for championships. And what we are seeing this year is something that has been in the making and planning for about 3 years now. If you look at the staff additions every year to each caption, and if you understand how they have reorganized with short term and long term goals for the Scouts, this would come as no surprise as to how they are rising in their competitiveness on the field. Just look at the staff for starters: Jim Mason and the whole blast/mason entertainment group and old Star of Indiana Staff. Lee Beddis, Crown's former percussion caption head. Tom Moore, Adam Sage, etc with the guard. Brad Green, Donnie Van Doren and Robert W. Smith, etc with the brass. John Vanderkoff and next year Andy Ebert, Crown's former visual caption head coming on aboard to enhance visual even more. With more to come! The Scouts are for real and back with a vengeance not just to be a crowd pleaser. But, to win championships.

His name is Jon :)

We all need to take a chill pill.

Personally I think Crossmen should be 2nd overall in GE music. And they should have been 3rd overall last year also... ph34r.gif

That's just my honest opinion...

now about tonight. IT'S ONE SHOW. And honestly I think Spirit is on a different level than Crossmen. And the spread was about right. I also think Spirit is on a much higher level than a lot are giving them credit for right now.

Scouts, I love their show. The visual is better than last year, but it does NOTHING for me. I haven't seen recent changes though.

Now... Crossmen I think will be in finals. I think they will get 12th behind Blue Stars. Their visual book just isn't up to par. But the demand is there and every other part of the show design is there. Blue Stars I feel like everyone wants to just count them out, but I honestly see a lot of good in that show. And I think that they will clean that ridiculous drill book enough to be in finals. I think BK will get the boot. They just missed with show design. A real shame because they were really on a good track over the past two year. But this years show is a complete miss in my book.

That's just how I'm calling it.

I'll probably change my mind when I'm proved 100% wrong on Saturday night.....

And I'm going by show. Not scores. Scores mean ####.

Interesting drum score. Phantom in 3rd, especially with people saying Spirit's percussion has been holding them back this year? Was it a bad run for Phantom, or has Spirit been improving this week? No offense here, I'm a big fan of both corps and really want to see Spirit succeed

Spirit's percussion is significantly improved from a year ago. So I have felt they have been somewhat underscored so far this season. J.J. Pipitone is not afraid to "call 'em like he sees 'em" AND they did have a really strong show last night.

what a tasteless thing to say. (and don't try the "no no, I meant something harmless" crap...)

Seems it is now acceptable to completely bash a perennial top-3 corps like Cavaliers when they are having one off year, but it is supposedly unacceptable to point out that maybe the lack of competition the last two weeks has skewed the scoring for a corps that has not been in finals for a quite a few years. Same thing happened to Madison last summer, when they were ranked 5th while back on the east coast with no close competition, but came in 10th at Indy.

Reality sucks.