Bellflower Brawl

Bellflower, CA

Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 5:00 PM

So Cal Classic Open Class Championship

Bellflower H.S. Stadium

15301 S. McNab Ave.

Bellflower, CA 90706

Performing Corps

Line-up is in reverse order of appearance.

Pacific Crest - Diamond Bar, CA

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

Blue Devils C - Concord, CA

City Sound - Long Beach, CA

Gold - San Diego, CA

Impulse - Buena Park, CA

Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

Velvet Knights - Pasadena, CA

Renegades - San Francisco, CA

SoCal Dream - Huntington Beach, CA

This is for California bragging rights in the Open Class. Can SCVC end BDB's streak? Can Gold make up any ground on the two front runners as they prepare for their first tour to Open Class Championships? Where does Impulse fit in the picture? Can Velvet Knights* gain any ground before their return to the Open Class tour? Plus Pacific Crest plays their farewell SoCal performance before joining the World Class tour, and the All-age Renegades and SoCal Dream finish their West Coast performance schedule before spending hours in the woodshed the rest of the month, and most of August, getting ready for the DCA championships over Labor Day weekend in Annapolis, MD. Anyone going to the show who can post the procedings to DCP, or tweet to someone who can repost?

All this and more at the Bellflower Brawl!

Garry in Vegas

*Not to be confused with the Original Velvet Knights.

• Like 2

...from what I saw last nite at Mission Viejo, Open Class in California is solid! Of course BDB and SCVC are duking it out within tenths, then you have Gold, prepping for a nats run, with Impulse pushing *hard* at a point and change behind. VK is very respectable, City Sound is playing a musical book most would shy-away from and doing a great job. Renegades, with their best offering in years, and Dream with some cool Trekie counterpoint...well, you have the makings of quite a nice drum corps show. Oh, I neglected to mention Pacific Crest, always conscious of their leadership in SoCal drum corps by supporting these two Open Class shows, putting on *their* best offering ever; man they can play! I was surprised at the high-quality judging slate last night, it makes for a credible finale for the groups ending their seasons tonight; congrats to DCI on providing support for Open Class.

• Like 2

I was just looking at the order of performance. Who dreamt this up? SCVC goes on second in Open Class? BDC and City Sound right before BDB? After closing to 0.15 last night, SCVC will probably drop about a point in the spread behind BDB. Look what happened in Minneapolis last night when Cavaliers went on third to last. They ended up passing Scouts and Spirit, almost pointing Scouts after being almost 2 points behind the night before.

Show position does matter.

Garry in Vegas

Completely different organization, Stu. The old corps would have to pay major fees to the IRS to ever start up again.

Garry in Vegas

Was the name Velvet Knights name sold to the new group; was the charter sold; is the new VK a tribute to the old group; or did the new group just hope that the VK name would carry some weight for a newly forming group?

I was just looking at the order of performance. Who dreamt this up? SCVC goes on second in Open Class? BDC and City Sound right before BDB? After closing to 0.15 last night, SCVC will probably drop about a point in the spread behind BDB. Look what happened in Minneapolis last night when Cavaliers went on third to last. They ended up passing Scouts and Spirit, almost pointing Scouts after being almost 2 points behind the night before.

Show position does matter.

Garry in Vegas

Not trying to bring another thread discussion over to here, but since order performance placement "does" effect scoring it indicates the subjectivity within the system. While judges go by the "sheets" as much as they can, they cannot break their human perception issues because that perception certainly is effected by other corps performances within the general time-frame, daylight view vs. under the lights view, etc... This perception differential can therefore cause a slight point fluctuation.

Good luck to all tonight.....and a special shout-out to SCVC!!! Really love their show! Have only seen Pacific Crest at Stanford...but, wow! They were something to see! :thumbup:

Go SCVC!!!! Hope to see them do well, I expect to see a huge fight all of the way to DCI Finals. Can't wait to see what happens once OC gets into the mix as well.

Is anyone there to report?

I'm not sure that's the performance order. Need to go buy a program. It's been SoCal Dream, Renegades, and now BDc. Can I just say I love the Renegades - makes me think I'm not too old to march lulz. And BDc is pretty adorable. What? You were expecting technical analysis

:)

eta: performance order

SoCal Dream

Renegades

Blue Devils C

City Sound

Velvet Knights

Impulse

Gold

Vanguard Cadets

Blue Devils B

Pacific Crest