"I would have never heard of/listened to this if it weren't fo

When a corps posts a rep, I usually immediately listen to the source material and imagine what the show may sound like. A few I don't like, some are "eh," a lot are good, but there are those that completely blow my mind and make me think "why haven't I heard this song/heard of this group before?" which then leads me to becoming a huge fan of said group/composer. Anyone else have this experience?

A few composers/groups that I'd like to thank the corps of DCI for introducing me to/making me enjoy more than before:

-Benoit Jutras/Cirque du Soleil

-Pat Metheny

-Bobby McFerrin

-Radiohead

-Charles Mingus

-Jazz Mandolin Project

-Michael Daugherty

and more

Edited by FaustianMachine

Drum corps has definitely introduced me to a lot of different types of music, but one that I can think of right off the bat is opera, because of Turandot this year. I bought PR's selections from the opera itself, and I listen to them seriously all the time. It totally introduced me to other operas as well, and I could very well say now that I'm an opera fan!

Another one is from SCV's ballad last year, The Eternal Knot. Good stuff! I really like that whole album, the celtic-y stuff is really cool in my opinion and I would never have known about it if it wasn't for The Devil's Staircase.

Edited by ayesha3
  • Like 1

I would have never heard of...

- Fleetwood Mac's Landslide if it weren't for Blue Knights 2009 - beautiful song.

- Sweet Release by Wynton Marsalis if it weren't for Cavaliers 2006 - I'm sure many of you haven't heard the original. The most hip chart that DCI has put onto the field.

I would have never heard of...

- Fleetwood Mac's Landslide if it weren't for Blue Knights 2009 - beautiful song.

- Sweet Release by Wynton Marsalis if it weren't for Cavaliers 2006 - I'm sure many of you haven't heard the original. The most hip chart that DCI has put onto the field.

And here I was thinking that was completely original by Saucedo...found it online and I love it

• Like 1

Man, there are a lot, but here are just a few:

Harry Connick jr. (92' BD) which, incidentally led eventually to me listening to Frank Sinatra (Harry is a big fan and says so a lot) who became and remains one of my favorite singers ever.

Nessun Dorma (91' Phantom) I bought the opera just to hear it and it's amazing. (though, this is the only opera I ever listen to.)

West side story (94' Cadets of Bergen County...this was the first time I heard them do it. Later found out about 84'.) I LOVE West Side Story (though, ironically, not in drumcorps anymore...sick of it.) The movie is great (I like it better than the original play) and it's fun to sing the songs from it.

That's all for now. I'm tired.