DCI Austin- Welcome to the Rock!

No he just wrote down a bunch of BS... there is really no reason for that many ties in a 10 corps show....

Yeah, and much as I usually try and give judges the benefit of the doubt, there is no way there should be that many ties in a show like this. It seems like everyone tied with the corps below them, except for Troop Surf and Crown. That's weird

• Like 1

Yeah, and much as I usually try and give judges the benefit of the doubt, there is no way there should be that many ties in a show like this. It seems like everyone tied with the corps below them, except for Troop Surf and Crown. That's weird

I'm just trying to understand how he has spirit and boston over scv in content, but vanguard over both, and tied with madison in execution of said content. I mean, the simple answer is vanguard is playing easier music better, but i have seen all three live, and I don't see vanguard content being easier. If anything it COULD possibly be the other way around. But not the way he scored it.

• Like 1

I stopped trying to make sense of it. it just won't work. At least it's only one caption.

Double post.

Edited by ATXGUY

Sigh. Finally took a shower and in bed. And after looking at the recaps, I can definitely see why Madison was second in brass. Also, the reason why Crown's score wasn't that much higher tonight was because they are still pretty dirty (In My Opinion) (mostly visually) Great moments, but I didn't see much improvement from Minneapolis to there live. Maybe I should have seen them both live, but that's just my opinion. I'm really hoping they can clean more.

Yeah, except Paul McGarr is like 20 years younger than those folks... :rolleyes: I find it amusing that we can sit at home and say how well SCV played tonight, especially since we were on the field with them. Maybe it was a bad night, poor performance, Paul got to some rough spots, or maybe, just maybe, he called the show as fair as he could and didn't favor the teams that went on near the end. I'd say thats good honest judging in my book.

Also didn't realize that JD Shaw was the only quality music arranger in DCI, what with hacks like Robert Smith or Scott Boerma or Chuck Naffier.... :smile:

I look for comparisons while looking for validity in scoring. For example, in content Garr gave Crown an 8.9, SCV an 8.1 and the Troopers a 7.5. What he is really saying that the Vanguard's content is better compared to the Troopers (0.6 difference) than with Crown (0.9). While I wasn't at the show I find that very hard to believe.

Yeah, except Paul McGarr is like 20 years younger than those folks... :rolleyes: I find it amusing that we can sit at home and say how well SCV played tonight, especially since we were on the field with them. Maybe it was a bad night, poor performance, Paul got to some rough spots, or maybe, just maybe, he called the show as fair as he could and didn't favor the teams that went on near the end. I'd say thats good honest judging in my book.

Also didn't realize that JD Shaw was the only quality music arranger in DCI, what with hacks like Robert Smith or Scott Boerma or Chuck Naffier.... :smile:

Except he didn't score Naffier's book all to well did he???

His numbers were screwy tonight. Anyone can see that from home. We don't have to be in the stands to know that the numbers are quite odd.

Thanks for posting my pics! I hope y'all enjoyed them!

Here are my thoughts from the show! :smile:

Revolution - I was late getting to my seat, so I didn't get to see them.

Genesis - I wasn't a fan of the show. From what I remember, it was a little odd.

Jersey Surf - What a fun show!!!!! It is very fan-friendly and has a lot of "ha ha" moments. My favorite part was the Ted William movement with the rocking horses, which was very well done.

Crossmen - I don't get this show. From what I've read on DCP, it's suppose to be similar to "Songs from Planet Earth". However, I'm not a fan of the performance level from this corps. Some weak brass moments and pretty rough guard work. They've added a ton of silhouettes of people to the field, but I didn't understand their purpose. Maybe I missed something? I'll see them again on Saturday in the Alamodome, but I have a feeling that they won't do as well as people hope they will.

Pacific Crest - What a fun show! Pretty decent all around the board performance-wise. The designers did a good job with the flag colors - they really popped!!!

Troopers - Again, this was a show I didn't really understand. I was hoping for that classic Copland sound with less-popular melodies, but I didn't get it. Instead, the music felt awkward and rough. Additionally, the guard unis were pretty wonky... they should have been dressed like the front ensemble! Plus, the current show doesn't really go anywhere... Another swing-and-a-miss for the Troopers.

INT - Intermission took FOREVER! Somehow the contest was running ahead of schedule, so naturally the Coordinators decided to wait a few more minutes during INT to catch back up. However, they seemed to forget what time Glassmen was suppose to play, which made us run behind. Sorry DCPers. (Great show this year... John Cage's "4:33"!)

Glassmen - I'm not digging the new unis... Great guard uniforms, though!! Very cool show design, even if I don't get the Plexiglass movement. The "Ethiopia III" (ballad) arrangement was fantastic. They have some cleaning to do (music and drill), but it was the first corps of the night to be "not bad".

Spirit of Atlanta - I've been to Las Vegas and I'm still not a fan of this show! "Harvest" by John Mackey arrangement was great and they played the heck out of it! The narration in the closer wasn't too bad, but I didn't need it in order to understand the show. No denying that they were clean, though! Great performance by everyone!

Madison Scouts - HOLY MOLY This show is AMAZING. It was hard performing right after Spirit, who really woke the crowd up, but OMG Scouts we so good! I think the CG added some coats, because I don't remember seeing them before in other videos. I know some don't like the Baba Yaga/ Malaguena mash-up, but it is so well done that I almost didn't realize what had happened! I also think they added the Mellos playing the Promenade theme during the Park n' Bark. I'm a big fan of the Great Gate singing. As soon as they started the company front rotation, everyone got to their feet. The main standing O for the whole contest, and it lasted a minute!!!!!!!!! They have (another) new ending, with less marching and more LOUD! I'm really impressed by this show. I wish it was a tad cleaner, because it is probably going to be my favorite show this season. GREAT JOB!!! :)

Boston Crusaders - I was really hyped up about this show; their new arranger is local to ATX and I love the Pines of Rome and Mahler 1. However, I was underwhelmed. I really like how they start the show in the four corners and meet for the big impact. However, this makes the show feel like it's going on FOREVER (which, it kinda is). The Mahler 1 quote at the end seems a little last-minute, but the drill is killer! I'm sure they will be another crowd favorite by Finals, but anyone that goes on right after Madison is going to have a hard time matching their level - including Crown.

Carolina Crown - Of course, the brass and the guard are fantastic. The play the HECK out of the Bertrand Moren and Copland music. Unfortunately, this is another show that I think looses energy in the last part of the show. I love the cubes, I love the timpani, I love the uniform change (not the guard uniform, though), but I don't understand what they mean by "For the Common Good". Superheros? Ok. But I feel like something is missing to make the connection between the guard and the brass. We'll see what changes they make. And the new ending is much better compared to what I've seen on YouTube. FUN FACT: They make a "Star 1993"-like isosceles triangle in the middle of their show. Really cool tribute that I hadn't noticed before!

Santa Clara Vanguard - I was super excited about this show (and the NEW ending). However, it's lacking in some areas - the brass is not as strong as Madison or even BAC at some times and they never blow my face away in volume, which was disappointing. The guard and drums are fantastic. Even as a WW player, I noticed that they were pretty strong. The new ending? Ehhhhhh. There wasn't nearly enough Phantom of the Opera used. I think they should pull the music from '89 and play that. Why not?!? :) :) :) :)

My prediction:

Crown

SCV

Scouts

BAC

SOA

Xmen

Gmen

Surf

Troop

PC

Genesis

Revolution

Results:

Crown

SCV

Scouts

BAC

SOA

Xmen

Gmen

PC

Troop

Surf

Genesis

Revolution

I agree with the scores for tonight. Surprisingly, the recap is also pretty accurate! Go figure! I'll be tweeting again on Saturday from the Alamodome!

Edited by benjaminzein
  • Like 3

No

Got carried away on Fan network. My bad. Better than the last show on FN is what i meant.