So when is it good to go?

So I work the food crew and when there are 3 shows close together, and I have seen everyone, I like to watch some of the corps warm up on night number 3. Then I just go watch my favorite shows. I have a staff pass so that helps. It's just another reason to volunteer. Your corps might not give out staff passes, but it gives you a chance to see the corps practice and that alone is fun. The people you meet are great, the kids are super, and the staff is the best. If you can do it I recommend it.

From the San Antonio show, the Blue Devils actually "UStreamed" their horn line and battery warm-ups live on their site. The quality was quite good. Not sure if they were using an iphone or what but they are masters at this. Their schedule can be found at www.bluedevils.org/live

If you go to Google Maps, search for the Georgia Dome and then put it in satellite mode, you can see just how far it is to the warm-up site in Yellow Lot. The Georgia World Congress Center is between the Dome and Yellow Lot, and the road that offers direct access is for corps members/staff only (you can see it between the two rows of convention center buildings). You CAN walk there, but you have to go all the way around, and it's easily a 30 minute walk one way.

If you really want to play the lot game, you're better off at a small show. The only regional where it's really practical is Allentown. It's easily the best lot experience in DCI, if that's what you're into. Frankly, I'd just watch the shows.

At Atlanta, the warm ups are in the same lot as the corps parking, which I believe is on the opposite side of the entrance. The route you take as a performer to get in and out of the stadium is insane. after you pass all the semi's and stadium vehicles you might think you're close but no! still have to go into the actual dome and through the guts of the stadium.

i remember somehow i got into the dome after the show once in 2009 but the next year i said forget it and met up with friends from other corps after instead (plus we had to do full retreat that night, so i didn't really want to walk it 3 times)

there are only a few walks i remember being comparable to the atlanta one. one being san antonio 2010 where busses and trucks parked in different spots and we had to walk to trucks, which were about halfway from the busses to the stadium, then back to busses then to the stadium and same thing afterwards, all while there was construction being done on the road we had to walk.

then in 2009, i think it was george mason university, that walk was a decent one too. we warmed up in a park that had a decent walk up and down some hills to get from warm up to stadium

• Like 1

BD/Cadets are probably the best corps to see in the lot, but by the time that happens you might be missing a lot of good shows.

Wow, thanks everybody! It seems like a pretty difficult time at Atlanta to work the lot system out in Atlanta very well without missing much. Every year until now there has been a show in Gadsden, Alabama which is just 20 minutes north of me and I usually volunteer at that one along with just going to watch at Atlanta. This year I was hoping to just hit the lot all night at Gadsden but alas, it won't be happening! thumbdown.gif