SCV Cymbal Line

It wasn't just the cymbal line (granted it was mostly them) but it was the entire drumline in 1998 that scared the #### out of me. Maybe that's why they won drums that year. They came in with a desire... to win it all. You could sense it.

YEP! I remember being on tour that year with Crown, we had the second day of the Wisconsin regional off to go watch the other corps. Several of us were rabid SCV fans that year, just totally enamored by their show and presence. I spent most of my free time, not in the stands, but watching other corps warm up and do their thing (not something you get much off as a MM). I watched their horns do visual warmup and was struck immediately by their collective energy. On my way back to the stadium, that energy was felt again but magnified when I passed the four cymbals on the way to drum warmups in rank together, not blinking, with mustaches and shaved heads. The crowded DCI parking lot literally parted in their wake, those guys were SCARY!

• Like 1

Yes, indeed, SCV has a tremendous cymbal line. That is a fact. Did you also know that MANY other lines are great, too?? Spirit, Crossmen, Colts, Pac Crest, Oregon Crusaders, Teal Sound, et al, are also doing tremendous work and are all definitely pushing the activity forward in new directions. Yes, I do like me a little "Viper" action and all the other traditional Vanguard visuals we have all come to know and love throughout the years, but I think that other lines are doing just as exciting, if not more so, things. I guess my point is that I hope fans give other lines a look, too. They're not doing the Vanguard thing, but I think that's good.

Different methods, same madness.

• Like 2

The Crossmen cymbal line has had some ###### ladies in it over the years.

• Like 1

to be in any DCi cymbal line is impressive as hell...I so wish we had more of them. but there are DCI cymbal lines, and then there is SCV.

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

Watching the above video of Spirit's cymbal ensemble, you have to think, "where did they find the time to set all of this up?" Did they really have that much time outside of rehearsal in order to set up this entire skit? That's crazy.

And for anyone that asks, SCV was doing a clinic instead of doing a cymbal I&E this year.

to be in any DCi cymbal line is impressive as hell...I so wish we had more fo them.

but there are DCI cymbal lines, and then there is SCV.

This is like saying "To be in DCI is impressive as hell...I so wish we had more corps. But there are drum corps, and then there are the ________."

Thanks.

*scoff*

• 7 years later...