Does Anyone Know The Story In BK's Show?

Oh I'm sure there's a story to Cadets 06. I'm just not sure it can be told in polite company! ("and this one time, at band camp, we had 30 pink picnic tables...")

I'm pretty sure that wasn't his brainchild to begin with ... and he didn't write the show. Saktig did.

Hahaha me thinks they wrote that one in an opium den...:)

OT, but I think Marc was program coordinator in both 05 and 06. IIRC, he left Cadets before the 2007 season.

He could have been coordinating someone else's idea ... like the director maybe?

OMG .. a drum corps crowd laughed at something cute? It made them happy? CALL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!!!! :devil:

Thank you for this. I have only posted maybe once to DCP (even though I am a faithful follower and read many threads with interest) but I felt compelled to respond to this. I attended the San Antonio show and one of the most enjoyable corps that evening from a pure entertainment standpoint was Jersey Surf. They obviously were performing their hearts out regardless of the fact that they are one of the lower scoring corps. The audience was totally engaged and they got many laughs and a standing ovation. It was a highlight of the evening for me. My point is any show that provides me with a gamut of emotions I find very satisfying and I am sure many people feel the same. Of course I am coming from it without any personal drum corps experience so I don't analyze every detail of the show and I certainly don't shut my mind off when there is something going on that is less enjoyable to me. The corps members deserve more than that. There are definitely shows I enjoy more than others (PR is a personal favorite) but I love the variety of what these corps are putting out there on the field.

As for the original subject, yes, the drummers at the beginning of the show represent a meteor that destroys the planet.

Thank you for this. I have only posted maybe once to DCP (even though I am a faithful follower and read many threads with interest) but I felt compelled to respond to this. I attended the San Antonio show and one of the most enjoyable corps that evening from a pure entertainment standpoint was Jersey Surf. They obviously were performing their hearts out regardless of the fact that they are one of the lower scoring corps. The audience was totally engaged and they got many laughs and a standing ovation. It was a highlight of the evening for me. My point is any show that provides me with a gamut of emotions I find very satisfying and I am sure many people feel the same. Of course I am coming from it without any personal drum corps experience so I don't analyze every detail of the show and I certainly don't shut my mind off when there is something going on that is less enjoyable to me. The corps members deserve more than that. There are definitely shows I enjoy more than others (PR is a personal favorite) but I love the variety of what these corps are putting out there on the field.

As for the original subject, yes, the drummers at the beginning of the show represent a meteor that destroys the planet.

I can haz +1? I WIN DCP!!!!!!! :w00t:

• Like 1

Haha LOL

I definitely prefer for any "story" that exists in the show not to become bigger than the music or marching, and I love JABOMM shows for exactly that reason. The risk of storytelling is that if the story is not compelling or if it's too cliche or melodramatic, it can easily become more of a detriment to the enjoyment of other elements of the show. And if the story is told explicitly, or if its intended meaning is too explicit, that can also be a turn off (COUGHcadets08COUGH).

Storytelling is not something the structure of drum corps really lends itself to. An internal story that drives the design can be simple and cliche, that's fine, but just like any music and/or dance form of art, the performance can and should transcend anything that can be expressed as a story in the same amount of time. I think that's why ballets and operas and even musicals can portray dead-simple stories and still be great art. The story is just a loose framework to build the real work that's going on.

But that's just my point of view on all of this.

All that said, I had no clue what BK's story was, and didn't pick it up from the high-cam Fan Network views I've had so far of the show. And despite that I really like this show. (Though yeah, drop the Jetsons and Star Trek clips, they feel cheap and take us out of the bizarre otherworldly zone this show creates.)

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

Storytelling is not something the structure of drum corps really lends itself to. An internal story that drives the design can be simple and cliche, that's fine, but just like any music and/or dance form of art, the performance can and should transcend anything that can be expressed as a story in the same amount of time. I think that's why ballets and operas and even musicals can portray dead-simple stories and still be great art. The story is just a loose framework to build the real work that's going on.

Well said!

Okay...but why are they on a spaceship in the first place?

You're right. They should be in the spaceship. :shutup: