Does Anyone Know The Story In BK's Show?

I can't claim to know what Sully was thinking or whether or not he intended there to be a story or not. I can say though, that back when I was in BK (05-08) we were PROUD to do so called "just a bunch of movement and music" shows. This isn't Broadway! Even the BEST storytelling shows (SCV 04, Phantom 08, BD 97) cannot really tell a story as well as other artistic mediums can. I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with abstract shows that don't have a particular point to make. My favorite show of all time is SCV 99, and as far as I can tell, that show wasn't trying to "tell a story" at all. The great Phantom 96 didn't seem to have a story to it either.

This BK show strikes me as being meant as a playful take on a classic piece of music and nothing more. And while I can't speak for the Jetsons quote, I'm pretty sure the Star Trek thing is just a playful ode to BK 93 when they did an entire Star Trek show. You know, kinda like how Madison plays "Malaguena" every single year even if it has nothing to do with their show.

Edited by mr1138

The last thing I want to see out of BK is a JABOM/M type of show.

(Just A Bunch Of Music/Movement)

Could you expand on what JABOM/M means to you, so your objection can be better understood?

One of my favorite shows is Cadets' 2001 offering, "Juxtaperformance" (which tied for second that year). It has no theme that I'm aware of and consists of four unrelated pieces of music that just happen to work together as a concert (or if you prefer, a concert in motion).

Similarly, the Madison Scouts' 2010 comeback show, as it were (after falling out of Finals the previous year), deliberately had no title at all and again consisted of two pieces of music whose sole connection was that Madison had performed them in the past. Placing tenth, it is designed and executed at a lower level than Cadets 2001, but quite entertaining and did not suffer from the want of a theme.

In fact, throughout DCI's early years, it was commonplace for shows not to have a theme, much less a story. They were, at their best, "merely" excellent musical, marching performances.

Now, is that the sort of thing you have in mind when referring to "just a bunch of music / movement"?

3kgO0.png

This is pretty much the rule of thumb for any Sully show. Just shut the eff up and hit your dot.

And as I pointed out above, I find it odd that somebody would object to BK of all corps doing a JABOM/M show. With the possible exception of their snow-themed show in 09, I can't think of any show of theirs in recent memory that was anything other than "just movement and music." Back when I marched we made a POINT not to muck up our shows with a "story," 2010 was definitely that way too (3 unrelated pieces of European music put together into a concert), and the only discernible "story" in last year's show was "English music." "Just a bunch of music/movement" seems to be what BK does best!

This is pretty much the rule of thumb for any Sully show. Just shut the eff up and hit your dot.

One show does come to mind that Sully wrote .. that has a story ... a message ... a mind bending trip for 11:30. 88 Suncoast. I think he exercised his story-telling demons all at once on that show and never truly felt the need to do it again after that.

Edited by supersop
  • Like 1

And as I pointed out above, I find it odd that somebody would object to BK of all corps doing a JABOM/M show. With the possible exception of their snow-themed show in 09, I can't think of any show of theirs in recent memory that was anything other than "just movement and music." Back when I marched we made a POINT not to muck up our shows with a "story," 2010 was definitely that way too (3 unrelated pieces of European music put together into a concert), and the only discernible "story" in last year's show was "English music." "Just a bunch of music/movement" seems to be what BK does best!

JABOM/M is what MOST corps have always done best. it's when they start mucking with stuff that it gets messy. Rare exceptions are obvious .. Sky Ryders of the mid and late 80's .. 08 PR .. and very few others have or ever will reach that level of successful design when going that avenue.

One show does come to mind that Sully wrote .. that has a story ... a message ... a mind bending trip for 11:30. 88 Suncoast. I think he exercised his story-telling demons all at once on that show and never truly felt the need to do it again after that.

Oh I'm sure there's a story to Cadets 06. I'm just not sure it can be told in polite company! ("and this one time, at band camp, we had 30 pink picnic tables...")