Does Anyone Know The Story In BK's Show?

Okay...but why are they on a spaceship in the first place?

I don't know...maybe I AM trying to read too much into this show, but then again...it seems there almost HAS to be a story there. I can't believe BK would do a JABOM/M show. (Just A Bunch Of Music/Movement)

btw, I did read up on the ballet's story. I don't see a connection at all. There's no Prince, no Princesses, no evil bad guy. In fact, the only transformation in the ballet was in the end after evil bad guy is dead.

RockyGranite, I understand that you have a kid in BK, as do I, and it's interesting that the kids don't seem to have a grasp on the whole story either (or they don't care or don't pay attention to it), but here's what I understand from my son: At The beginning of the show, the Bird People are happily flocking, etc. on their planet. The battery percussion represents a meteor (or something of that sort) that is coming toward their planet, so they board the space ship and travel to another planet. By the way, I still don't like the Star Trek/Jetsons references during the space ship sequence.

I think unless Marc Sylvester comes out and fully explains what he was thinking, we'll never know his version, and I think thay may be what they want...for everyone to interpret it in their own way.

• Like 1

RockyGranite, I understand that you have a kid in BK, as do I, and it's interesting that the kids don't seem to have a grasp on the whole story either (or they don't care or don't pay attention to it), but here's what I understand from my son: At The beginning of the show, the Bird People are happily flocking, etc. on their planet. The battery percussion represents a meteor (or something of that sort) that is coming toward their planet, so they board the space ship and travel to another planet. By the way, I still don't like the Star Trek/Jetsons references during the space ship sequence.

I think unless Marc Sylvester comes out and fully explains what he was thinking, we'll never know his version, and I think thay may be what they want...for everyone to interpret it in their own way.

I haven't pressed my son...I kind of get the notion from him that he knows the story but doesn't want to talk about it much. Could be they've been told not to give it away, maybe?

I agree with you about the Star Trek/Jetsons thing. Especially the Jetsons. That got a laugh out of the crowd at S.A., but I don't think fleeing your planet should be a laughing matter. The Star Trek thing could actually work in a "boldly going where no Avian has gone before" kind of thing. I'd just leave them both out if it were up to me.

Anyway, I find it interesting that most of the Corps' shows are pretty clear...with the exception of BD, of course...but BK's show is quite vague.

I saw BK on FN last Saturday and really liked Avian alot! :bigsmile: I saw flocks of birds flying like starlings, flags in hues of blues and greens, a constant build of music and movement until the final majestic perch of The Firebird. It’s on my list to view again, to review transitions both musically and visually and catch a glimpse of guard members in bird-like poses lol

Why do like Avian? Perhaps because it combines 3 of my favourite things; music, dance and drum corps? I also thought of Ballet and Strings, Balanchine and Stravinsky, a collaboration of choreographer and composer. I agree with posts on here that the music is open to interpretation and that it’s a wonderful piece!

A few weeks ago I listened to The Stravinsky Album with The Columbia Symphony Orchestra and tonight I found my hardcover Ballet in Color written by Craig Dodd, a 1980 publication by Octopus Books. The Firebird wore shades of red. I hope you don’t mind me sharing my thoughts and a photo from my book :smile:

IMG-30.jpg

• Like 1

I removed my post.. Not gonna get angry or petty

Edited by wesleyrp
  • Like 1

It's my understanding that the Alien Birds are looking for a place to be accepted after their home was destroyed! In that you get some of the strife faced in trying to be accepted by a new world and the beauty that come from it.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be really impressive if the Blue Knights' hornline played more? :thumbup:

All of their silly bodywork is starting to put the early '90s Glassmen to shame.

Oh, I'm always up for more music, but I'm not about to question the design team. The thing is, though, more music won't necessarily make the show better or get the story across to the spectators. The last thing I want to see out of BK is a JABOM/M type of show.

(Just A Bunch Of Music/Movement)