Talk Drill

Flock That;)

• Like 2

I've always thought that, too. I think their uniform in general limits the number of ways they can move and act and present their show.

They might do better, (after Angels and Demons), if they did a theme that doesn't involve "characterization". Like 2007, 2005, 2000, or 2009.

They have gone with themes that puts pressure on the performers to be something that they are not. when really this is unnecessary pressure. BD does not have to worry about characterization when their loopy movements do it for them.

If for next year they decide to do a non-visual based/non-characterization themed show they will probably win. That way they can focus on what they want to do which is march and play very fast and innovate instead of making sure the show is fully devoted to the theme. It seems the judges are pushing the corps, because of the themes they choose, to make sure they max out their theme in every degree. When really I'd like to see the corps push the judges on their innovation.

Okay, Cadets and Body almost don't work. When they do body I almost feel its out of place not because it isn't do e well but the uniforms are so military in design it makes fluid motions seem out of place! It seems DCI requires marchers to do body but the cadets uniform doesn't look great doing it. Strange...... I mean they get the bulk if their visual effect from their drill design anyway. But interesting u felt that way too.

So besides the uniform, what other reasons are there for Cadets to not have movement as part of their vocabulary?

So besides the uniform, what other reasons are there for Cadets to not have movement as part of their vocabulary?

none?

I just think it looks strange. They can do it all they want, and it probably helps them, but it just looks kind of stilted. I still can't tell if it's the uniform or what.

Well, they do have body as part of their vocabulary. They use body minimally and add it only when its necessary and when it can add. It may be a design choice but I think its because their drill speaks better than their leg and arm motions.

I've always thought that, too. I think their uniform in general limits the number of ways they can move and act and present their show.

I was actually having a similar conversation with a friend of mine in the off-season. It seems that with the greater emphasis on body movement and characterization from all the performers, the traditional military-style uniforms are becoming more and more nonsensical. Putting the full corps in show-specific costume is really a logical next step.

I actually thought BD was on that path when those first pics of their costumes came out. But then they put on the jackets and shakos mid-show.

Back to the topic at hand: While I'm not a fan of BD's overall show concept, I agree that their movement technique is amazing. And their drill program might be hinting at the next big trend in drill design. I like how theres a very deliberate direction to the overall flow of group, as well as an underlying pulse that seems to run as an undercurrent to the entire production. The show feels like it has these longer underlying visual phrases that are then layered with more detailed transforms.

Hard to describe, but the more I see it the more I respect what's going on there.