Oregon Crusaders Sending a hidden message

Academy played all Shostakovich in '05, so guess again. Come to think of it, PR was playing Gershwin that same year....

I'll have to check my youtube really quick. I have one of their shows posted on my page and that's the show I'm thinking of....

you're right .. it's the 2006 show. My bad.

First OC, outstanding show. I really enjoyed last years show also. That opening hit from last season was hot.

I propose a new rule - If you have 14 Tubas you should not be allowed to compete in Open Class. :devil:

#### that's a nice hornline, specially for Open, Div II/II. Class A, whatever. LOL :worthy:

Saw them last night in Edmond for the first time. I'll just say, come Prelims, they will definitely make some noise with wc corps.

To the man that shares my last name ... hit Fan Network and go to the San Antonio regional .. around the 44 minute mark of the stream feed. You'll see what we're talking about ... even a couple of nice SCV references in their show. All tastefully done.

Okay, I watched them on the San Antonio feed. Yes, they are a very good Open Class corps. Not arguing that point.

BUT

1. The content of their show is relatively easy compared to those of World Class corps (primarily - guard work, drum book, drill).

2. Their brass, while impressive for Open Class, would not place very well (right now) in World Class. They still have a long way to go in tone quality, blend and balance, etc.

3. I have seen many, MANY, Open Class corps out West move to World Class, even corps that won Open Class. Financial means should not be the only criteria. Competitive means should also be taken into account.

4. Oh! And their score in Open Class should not be used as a reference for World Class. The sheets and criteria between the two classes are completely different.

That said, Oregon Crusaders has a great staff and a lot of talent! I hope they come to California next year so I can see them live and say hello to one of their Board of Directors friends of mine, Dr. Phil Marshall.

I know you say making Finals in World Class isn't everything. Well, I feel that most World Class corps members dream of just that - performing under the lights on Saturday night. I've spoken with corps members (granted, not all feel this way) that felt disappointed and let down when they didn't make Finals. It's a corps members "rock star" moment!

I feel that Oregon Crusaders knows they're competing for the Open Class crown this year, and I think that's fantastic! I think they'd want that crown (or "proof", if you will) before they tackle World Class.

You're more than welcome to disagree, that's fine. I've been around this activity longer than some, but not as long as others. I'm even contemplating becoming a DCI judge (look out! - lol). The nice thing about the world is that we're all different, with different view points and interests. That's what makes life colorful. :smile:

Edited by PeeWee

Wow, I watched again and you're so right. :tic: The show design this year and even last year...whoever they have they need to keep!!! Starting in 2010 they have had some really high quality designs and performances. I can't wait to see what they plan next year.

Interesting, we added a cymbal line in 2010. Could there be a correlation? I think so. :tongue:

I am mother to a member of OC and I can most assuredly say that they WANT THE OPEN CLASS title. I will withhold comment on whether or not they have WC aspirations.

• Like 1

I am mother to a member of OC and I can most assuredly say that they WANT THE OPEN CLASS title. I will withhold comment on whether or not they have WC aspirations.

coming from an OC corps when I first started my DCI career ... I promise you ... everyone in that class wants a championship. The corps I was in was on the cusp of 7 in a row without winning one before they moved up to World Class.

My feeling is .. if Oregon Crusaders have the opportunity to win 1 or 7 ... knowing they have the opportunity to measure up with WC in August ... I don't see any reason to move up to the higher division. Better recruiting opportunities when you can tout that you're a World Champion. When the day comes that the organization is ready to move up .. they will. Until then .. enjoy the ride and the rings. I think one is in store for them this year. Paw Paw should be pretty telling!

• Like 1