Fighting Back

There seem to be several types of shows- those that are generally happy, those that are generally sad/angry/have lots of angst and all kinds of stuff in between.

I've been listening to a lot of 90s and early 2000s shows and I feel like there's been a general mood shift in the types of music that is played and the way it is arranged. I'm generalizing very much but does anyone notice this? I don't know why but something tells me that 2004 was the first year in this new direction when I listen.

Perhaps more accurately is that I hear A lot of shows are just plain "epic" but not necessarily "epic" in an inspiring, fuzzy feel-good way, you know?

Cadets 2000 (epic AND inspiring) vs. Bluecoats 2011 OR Crossmen 1993/94 vs. Pacific Crest in any recent year.

Yes, I know that shows try to convey different types of emotions, but I'm referring specifically to a lack of feel-good music. Jersey Surf this year makes a notable exemption.

ALSO, parallel this with all the angst going on in the U.S. about itself, and all the angst of the Drum Corps community that fears for its survival. I know these things have always been going on but it seems amplified nowadays and is showing in the music.

I feel like if we want to fight the negativity, our form of protest should be unrelentingly, unapologetically optimistic music such has been done in the past. Of course this is up to the arrangers and show designers.

Thoughts?

Edited by Barifonium

Crown's show is pretty uplifting. So is Phantom's at the end.

• Like 2

Crown's show is pretty uplifting. So is Phantom's at the end.

For sure! Cadets this year is also.. which contributes to this season being one of the most entertaining I've witnessed. Although not marching this year gives me a different perspective. Perhaps I'm more appreciative now.

For sure! Cadets this year is also.. which contributes to this season being one of the most entertaining I've witnessed. Although not marching this year gives me a different perspective. Perhaps I'm more appreciative now.

True dat with Cadets

• 1 month later...

COUGHamplificationCOUGH

O_O Woah I think you're right.

BD did a very uplifting show this year! It was down right funny too!

Honest question: are you being sarcastic? I can't tell. I liked their shows... Neither of those words describe it, IMO.

If you are serious: how do you see those two things? My curiosity is peaked.

Honest question: are you being sarcastic? I can't tell. I liked their shows... Neither of those words describe it, IMO.

If you are serious: how do you see those two things? My curiosity is peaked.

are you sure your curiosity isn't "piqued"?

• Like 1