Denver Review -- Belated

Wow, can't believe with 8,500 people there that no one has put up a revies of the Denver show. I'll try to dig from memory and share my thoughts on what was a terrific show, despite some very warm weather & very little breeze.

Vanguard Cadets -- Always great to see a corps with such young kids with a great work ethic. They truly have their parents corps "aura" in miniture. Their shows seemed to have regressed a bit since their powerhouse 2000 show, but still very solid for Division II. Drill wise, some nice moments. Color guard was not a strong point. Musically, some arrangements we've heard from big brother before (watered down, of course). Not overly entertaining from a music perpective, but true to the SCV style.

Troopers -- Wow! What a pleasant shock Casper is this year. The long blue line is showing signs of life as a legitimate Division I corps. New uniforms are a very nice update. According to others the warm-up addition of a sunburst and rifle manuever is recent, and was very well received. Loved it myself & is a great tribute to their past. Their show itself is a nice update on the casper tradition. Thoroughly modern Drum Corps, but accessible and decidely western at the same time. Very enjoyable music with some actual spontaneous applause nice moments. This corps might actually beat 3 or 4 other Div. I corps this year. Drill was much improved over last year, as is marching technique. Weakest link continues to be color guard, but that group is at least step or two up from recent editions. Go Troop! This show could possibly even make those fighting for that last spot in quarterfinals a little nervous, if they continue to clean.

Spirit of JSU -- I'm not quite sure about this corps. Musically, they are great, with a nice mixture of familiar melodies and contemporary sounds. I think their horn line should be scoring higher than they are. The have a very BIG and clean sound. Their drill is somewhat better than past years, but not a "top notch" gaines drill by any stretch. Color guard has really improved over the past 2 years. Biggest weakness to me for this corps is marching. Very messing feet and too many forms not solid as they should be by now. Upon first viewing in Louisville, I thought this corps could be a threat for 8th or 7th. I think they are solidly now down around 11th or so, plus or minus one. They havent' seemed to have improved as much as some others around them. I understand what they are trying to do by refilling the hour glass at the end of the show, but it is very anti-climatic, and really lets the audience down after a nice "1st" ending. On a most positive note, terrific ballad with the "seems like only yesterday" flags and stirring large flag images of Zingali, Royer (my hero), bridgemen & 2-7. A very memorable moment in their show.

Seattle Cascades -- Another nice, high-energy show from 'cades. While their is more demand musically this year, the drill seems less so. Yet, visually, they are nowhere near as crisp & clean as they were last year at this point. CG in particular is not as strong. I don't see this corps making Finals. Probably looking at 15th or so right now. After seeing Colts in Wichita last night, they are way ahead of them, but they are also well behind anyone ahead of them. I do like the show, though, and terrific, colorful flags throughout a well-thought out visual show. I love the energy these kids bring to the field (the whole corps) -- it's very refreshing.

Magic of Orlando -- I'm not quite sure what to think of Magic this year. I've seen them twice now - and they have certainly improved from Louisville. The color guard in particular has come a long, long ways. Very impressive. I think they also march better than their current Visual Performance Scores are giving them credit for. They certainly are marching better than Spirit right now. To me, their music book is disappointing, and not very memorable. As I said last month, their music pales in comparison to last year's show -- a standout for me that still stays in my head musically. I expected more from their all-star design team then what they are bringing to the field. They are in that 10-13 dogfight right now, in my opinion. Still, I like the show, and love that uniform. It's one of the best & classiest in DCI, behind Regiment, Cavaliers and Bluecoats in my book.

Blue Knights -- Wow! A big step up for BK this year, particularly in horn line, A strange moment Saturday night was the announcer for the show (one of 3 who were far too talkative) said that last year's BK Drums Along the Rockies show was their best ever? Umm... I hardly think last year's non-finalist show could touch the terrific 94, 99 and 00 shows from the Denver group. I still hate their current uniform, and long for the grey pants and dots uniform that I always loved them for. Musically, they have returned to their roots this year, with enjoyable, more accessible music. The horn line was a shocking surprise, with good solide power & sonority. Color Guard is improved as well, with nice silks & color coordination in the show. Drill is a disappointment. Like recent BK shows, this drill is too congested and not readable. I used to love BK's drills in the 90s -- wide open & fast paced. They are nto the only corps with the current problem of congested, unreadable drills with little field coverage, but it sure stands out with them considering their visual heritage in the 90s. Another corps in the thick of the 10-13 battle. Nice improvement BK! Only request -- please back off of horn line visuals that don't match the music.

Santa Clara Vanguard -- This is definitely a show I want to see again. My partner thought it stunk and was totally bored (and its not a "modern" thing, because he usually likes SCV - until 02 -- and loves the Cavies current style). To me, their are moment sof intrigue & interest, but the show goes nowhere musically in far too many places. In my opinion, SCV has taken a musical step backwards every year of the 21st century, with the decline accelerating the past 2 years. Despite an awesome drum line, they may end up in 5th quite easily this year, and will have to fight off a challenge from Boston for that before the year is out. While many have gone on & on about how difficult SCV's show is, I just don't see it. Yes, their drill is above average in difficulty, but I've seen more demand & acheivement from SCV before. Musically the show is full of driving 8th notes everywhere. THe color guard is weak again, and they should not be scoring as close to Regiment in guard as they are. Still, I look forward to seeing this show again. I might find myself getting into it more I see it. I still think the new uni debuted last year is a mistake for SCV, and it softens their image, perceived intensity and mystique. The green is just too light & soft & their is too much of it. It hurts them from a GE visual perpective in my opinion.

Phantom Regiment -- Ahh Yeah. I will not even try to hide my bias towards Rockford. I've really adopted them as my favorite ever since my corps (Black Gold) folded in 93. But, all accounts are true -- Regiment is truly regiment again. The new uniforms are spectacular and I heard more novice types around me just keep commenting on how classy & beautiful they are. Too enhance that, the old Rgiment "attitude" is starting to appear in places again. Their uniform lends itself so well to those types of head snaps & etc. It's truly like we are seeing Regiment reborn. If they've made slow but steady progress since 99, they have now moved out of 1st gear to at least 2nd. Musically, the show was moving & beautiful -- although I was not as moved as I expected to be. It would be impossible to live up to the hype they are getting from their west coast swing. I wish the melody from Canon would come through just a little more clearly in the reprise hits later in the show. I was most surprised with PR visually. They have been beating SCV in GE visual, and deservedly so. This is a solid top 5 visual product, with room to grow. I saw just as much if not more dirt in their drill & lines than I did in SCV, so I don't buy the argument that SCV has more room to grow. IF PR can clean their visual program to levels they used to prior to recent years, they have a terrific shot at at least 3rd in my opinion, especially after seeing Cadets again yesterday in Kansas. Their music book is by far the hardest in DCI & their soprano line is jaw dropping. They beat BD in Ens Music, and deservedly so. A vastly improved drum line perfectly adds to the musical package. After hearing Cavaliers yesterday, I think that PR is still a little behind, but could very well end up winning the high brass and music ensemble captions in Orlando. Welcome BACK, Regiment!!!

Blue Devils -- Tasty, tasty, tasty. This show is a treat. Maybe not quite up to last year's musical standards, but an even better visual package. I see no way that this guard does NOT win DCI. They are outstanding. We sat next to a mom of a CG member in Denver, and that was fun. Her daughter was one of the "hair" dancers last year. She has bright blonde mid-length hair and it was easy to follow her inthis year's show. A terrific performer! That's what seperates BD's guard from everyone else at this show -- their energy & showmanship. Great uniforms, great silks, great dancing & great equipment work. The true total package, with significantly more difficulty than what we see from Cavaliers or Cadets guards this summer. As good as PR's guard is now (I could see their guard in 3rd at DCI), they aren't close to BD. I can't wait to see the showdown tonight in Enid between Cavaliers & BD. Right now, I'd give the edge to BD. To me, even their drill has more demand than does the Cavies drill. They are not, however, quite as clean yet.

Well, that's it from Denver. Sorry this was so late.

Harvey Phelps

Honestly I think that is the most honet review of PR I have seen all season. I watched rehersals, the clinic, the performance and victory concert in Phoenix and think you are dead on. Especialy the part about Canon not having as much melody as you might think and drill having plenty to clean and grow.

I will have the pleasure of seeing PR again in Centerville Ohio so I will let everyone now what progress I can track.

Ya know, I have to admit it's a little disappointing that people bemoan the lack of reviews, but when we do post them, there aren't often a lot of people that comment back on them either. I miss hearing what every else thinks about what you though, etc...

Ya know, I have to admit it's a little disappointing that people bemoan the lack of reviews, but when we do post them, there aren't often a lot of people that comment back on them either. I miss hearing what every else thinks about what you though, etc...

I was thinking the same thing. A reviewer puts in a lot of work to write it up and then you get two worded responses like "hey, thanks" or "nice review". But then I guess someone just has to strike up a rant or something in order for a topic to take off and build. So I'll start. I think BD should change their colors to orange. Ok, your turn. :P

LOL. That's very funny! Good to see someone agrees with me... It does seem that you can only get a thread going on a review if you are outragous or completely biased. That's too bad.

Harvey Phelps

Thank you, THANK YOU, T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U!

Thank you for the review, thank you for the encouraging words, and thank you for the "spin" you put on your criticism. Reading your words, I felt like I was actually there. :P

Your review was like a belated birthday card: although a little tardy, the message and thought was still very much appreciated.

LOL. That's very funny! Good to see someone agrees with me... It does seem that you can only get a thread going on a review if you are outragous or completely biased. That's too bad.

Harvey Phelps

I totally agree.......I appreciate the effort in your review.....be happy, at least all three of your reviews didnt DISAPPEAR !!!!!! LOL

~G~

LOL.  That's very funny!  Good to see someone agrees with me...  It does seem that you can only get a thread going on a review if you are outragous or completely biased.  That's too bad.

Harvey Phelps

I totally agree.......I appreciate the effort in your review.....be happy, at least all three of your reviews didnt DISAPPEAR !!!!!! LOL

~G~

no kidding! we're in the same boat G! great review Harvey.

even though i know wed have a little battle over SCV, i still prefer the honesty that you showed in a review, rather than bs'ing for the sake of everyones feelings! good job!