Have we lost touch?

Curious... I think we have 18 corps that are not far from all being finalist caliber corps, have we become so nit picky that we can't enjoy the amazing product. I'm critical at the direction BD has gone recently but I marvel at the talent and teaching not to mention execution. I'm not saying that we should lose passion or desire to see our favorite corps do well, but at what point is it too much.... There's thread after thread of dislike or Booing... So and so uses electronics terrible, corps A is getting hosed, judges need to release sheets and tapes... When did we become a snooty, I'm smarter than u discussion forum?!? Granted as the level of corps rise so does the passion of the fans... Aren't we all losing sight of the big picture---- THERE IS AMAZING DRUM CORPS THIS SUMMER!!! I'd like to start this thread to discuss what has made u go gaga this summer... If you want to post something negative, there are plenty o threads, please don't do it here!!! I'll start

1) BD- Amazing execution

2) Crown- Amazing Brass and design

3) Cadets- Risky and awesome!!

4) Phantom- Beautiful, Sosphisticated

5) SCV- My favorite musical show this summer

6) Bluecoats- Best brass I've heard from them

7) Boston- Favorite Boston music of all time

8) Cavaliers- Like the new ending

9) Madison- Makes me smile and cheer every time!!

10) Spirit- Best Spirit since 80s

11) BK- What a drill- Really coming on strong

12) BStars- phenomenal Drumline

Few others

Xmen- Best since 2002.. A worthy finalist caliber corps

Colts- truly amazing moment at end of show... Chill inspiring

Jersey Surf- Amazing transformation!! Fantastic program...

Just some thoughts

Wesley P

• Like 5

I don't think anyone has lost sight of these things. But it's definitely not as fun to discuss or argue about.

There's stuff I love about just about every corps, but it's just not the same as debating negatives. Just going over your list, my mind comes up with negatives for every positive... it's just how we work. And it's what the forum is for!

I don't think anyone has lost sight of these things. But it's definitely not as fun to discuss or argue about.

There's stuff I love about just about every corps, but it's just not the same as debating negatives. Just going over your list, my mind comes up with negatives for every positive... it's just how we work. And it's what the forum is for!

Interesting... Back in the day this sight was full of ugly fights and name calling.. That got cleaned up and now its the polar opposite... Snooty.. I disagree with you though. I think we can talk shop without criticizing everything that we see or hear! I roll my eyes seeing the negativity when a live stream is running. We have a LIVE STREAM.. before this we got a half hearted after the season feel good story or a PBS fundraiser. I just think that we all, myself included could stop and smell the roses before we bash them over someones head...

Wes P

• Like 1

Interesting... Back in the day this sight was full of ugly fights and name calling.. That got cleaned up and now its the polar opposite... Snooty.. I disagree with you though. I think we can talk shop without criticizing everything that we see or hear! I roll my eyes seeing the negativity when a live stream is running. We have a LIVE STREAM.. before this we got a half hearted after the season feel good story or a PBS fundraiser. I just think that we all, myself included could stop and smell the roses before we bash them over someones head...

Wes P

Well said, Wes.

I have made solemn promise with myself not to say a negative word about you for the next 2 weeks.

Its the least I can do in the quest for board civility. But be forwarned. I sometimes break promises and afterall, you're a handful. ( opps.. oh jeez, that didn't last long. )

Edited by BRASSO

Hahaha.. U see what I mean.... Hahaha LOL

Because this is a competitive activity, I would never expect a message board dedicated to it to be all positive, all the time.

However, I really identified with what you posted here and you TOTALLY hit the nail on the head. These kids are doing INCREDIBLE THINGS- SHEESH! The level of individual talent is unreal, and the level of talent amongst staff to get the kids to work together one day after the next is equally amazing. My goodness people, what more do you want?????? Life changes, people change, activities change. These kids paid for- and from what I'm seeing are receiving- one HECK of an education, whether they are first or last in WC or OC.

I have some negative comments, but you didn't ask for those so I will stow it for now.

/end mini rant

Start rave:

Positives:

BD- the individual level of talent is unbelievable. This show is just crazy good. Wow. As a music educator and percussionist, this show is fullll of win. Congratulations to you for your consistent performances, selecting a show that fits the talent of your members, and being a cohesive organization for a VERY long time.

Crown- brass is incredible. So different from BD in performance and substance. What a great top 2 shows to duke it out ftw.

PR- beautiful show!!!! Def one of my faves.

Cadets- I'm not a fan of this show at all, but am a fan of how extremely well they play in tune. From a technical standpoint, they get it.

SCV- incredibly tough source material. They make it look so easy

Bluecoats- usual Bluecoats quality and consistency. Such great percussion.

BAC- One of my very fave shows this year and probably ever, but I'm an *enormous* fan of their source material.

Cavies- obviously having an off year but from what I see they are nowhere NEAR ready to give up. Keep fighting! I know you will.

Madison- always a fan fave. So glad to see them putting their rough patch firmly in their past. I am not a big fan of this show at all but respect the organization and the effort.

Bstars- this show is rough but the kids are plowing through.

BK- this show is great! Again, a bunch of kids taking on a bunch of hard music, translating it, and performing it beautifully

SOA- facemelting brass and selling a show that just fits them so well. LOVE seeing them back in the finalist mix, where they belong.

Crossmen- making a run to finals. They won't stop running til the very end. C'mon Crossmen!

I could go on all night but I'm tired, so I'll stop there. I agree that ALL the corps this year are really bringing it on and they should be proud. So should their educators and parents.

So there you have it. My $.02 that probably isn't even worth that much.

While I attended High School and post-secondary in the 1970’s, I had wonderful opportunities to attend many live performances be it drama, musicals, comedy, ballet, symphony. In addition, I had drum corps. However, after each live performance we had to write a review and hand it in to be marked. I couldn’t simply enjoy Gypsy with Angela Lansbury; I had to write a paper about her! Yikes! I was a field judge twice in 1976 for Junior C and D corps. It broke my heart to tick kids as young as 8. In the 1980’s I spent a year evaluating live performances but this time on a cassette tape and spent 4 years as a local winter guard judge in the 80’s. Instead of writing, I now had to learn to talk. Yikes! What was cool about local judging is watching the kids grow from December to April, some as young as 6.

When I subscribed to Fan Network a few years ago and attended DCI finals in 2010 (after almost 3 decades), I also read a lot of DCP to try to figure out how I can get to the present in warp speed. My critical mind continues to prevail but I decided to be a fan. I’ve watched all offerings of 2012 FN live webcasts to date. I made short notes while I watched ‘cause I didn’t want to miss a beat! My random notes are ‘they’re cleaning up good’, ‘they move with confidence and have a mature sound’, ‘are those bamboo poles in the opener?’, ‘goose bump musical moments’, ‘lovely lyrical flagwork’, ‘love Satie and hoops’, ‘drums, drill, horns complement each other’, ‘love yellow flags and mello line’, ‘flocks of starlings soothe’, ‘all by myself is beautiful’, ‘luck be a lady is wearing less’, ‘burning ring of fire’, ‘do you hear what I hear with a fish and crown’, ‘tug of war and a flower’, ‘this is growing on me’, ‘pretty and powerful’, ‘drill better than last year’, 'love blue umbrellas', ‘fun show’, ‘love the music’, ‘There was sound, speed, texture, technique, boldness, blues, humility and humour’ in 2012. It’s all good :bigsmile:

Because this is a competitive activity, I would never expect a message board dedicated to it to be all positive, all the time.

However, I really identified with what you posted here and you TOTALLY hit the nail on the head. These kids are doing INCREDIBLE THINGS- SHEESH! The level of individual talent is unreal, and the level of talent amongst staff to get the kids to work together one day after the next is equally amazing. My goodness people, what more do you want?????? Life changes, people change, activities change. These kids paid for- and from what I'm seeing are receiving- one HECK of an education, whether they are first or last in WC or OC.

I have some negative comments, but you didn't ask for those so I will stow it for now.

/end mini rant

Start rave:

Positives:

BD- the individual level of talent is unbelievable. This show is just crazy good. Wow. As a music educator and percussionist, this show is fullll of win. Congratulations to you for your consistent performances, selecting a show that fits the talent of your members, and being a cohesive organization for a VERY long time.

Crown- brass is incredible. So different from BD in performance and substance. What a great top 2 shows to duke it out ftw.

PR- beautiful show!!!! Def one of my faves.

Cadets- I'm not a fan of this show at all, but am a fan of how extremely well they play in tune. From a technical standpoint, they get it.

SCV- incredibly tough source material. They make it look so easy

Bluecoats- usual Bluecoats quality and consistency. Such great percussion.

BAC- One of my very fave shows this year and probably ever, but I'm an *enormous* fan of their source material.

Cavies- obviously having an off year but from what I see they are nowhere NEAR ready to give up. Keep fighting! I know you will.

Madison- always a fan fave. So glad to see them putting their rough patch firmly in their past. I am not a big fan of this show at all but respect the organization and the effort.

Bstars- this show is rough but the kids are plowing through.

BK- this show is great! Again, a bunch of kids taking on a bunch of hard music, translating it, and performing it beautifully

SOA- facemelting brass and selling a show that just fits them so well. LOVE seeing them back in the finalist mix, where they belong.

Crossmen- making a run to finals. They won't stop running til the very end. C'mon Crossmen!

I could go on all night but I'm tired, so I'll stop there. I agree that ALL the corps this year are really bringing it on and they should be proud. So should their educators and parents.

So there you have it. My $.02 that probably isn't even worth that much.

Your 2 sense is worth alot :smile: btw we're getting rid of pennies up here; it'll be all nickles in no time!