Cadets/CC/SVC vs BD and Cavies

Over the years, I connected with SCV and Cadets because what I saw was corps pushing the physical and musical limits of performance. Virtuosity I love. CC seems to fall into that category too, even though I can't help but loathe most all body movement and anything redolent of marching band. I would put Star in this group too; always loved them for pushing the limits in every way.

This, a hundred times. I just want to see simultaneous playing and marching at super-high levels.

• Like 2

This is somewhat off topic, but I don't think speed and "playing and marching at the same time" are the only difficult aspects of drum corps. I understand the point, but I think sometimes the point can be used to unfairly criticize other corps. Sometimes restraint and musical sensitivity is more difficult than playing as loud as you can while marching as fast as you can. And sometimes an amazing horn run will distract from an amazing visual.

I'm not making any particular accusations, and I don't know how my point exactly fits into this conversation, but it is the first thought that came to mind when I read the original post.

True, but this is really the only demand that is truly unique to drum corps, along with widespread space related acoustic problems (well, all of the marching arts really... but at a higher level in drum corps obviously). Other types of musical demand, you have in other musical ensembles, and certain visual demands exist in other visual performing art genres, such as dance. But playing difficult music while at the same time executing physically demanding movement truly sets drum corps apart.... especially for brass players who have to use breath control. When you factor in time delays and poor ensemble listening conditions caused by the movement and spacial nature of drum corps, you have a total package that no other art form has to deal with.

Crown challenges their performers more than BD challenges theirs and this is in all aspects of what is challenging (not just simultaneous demand).

I'm not talking about the cleverness of BDs design.

(And tell me how this comment is a "BD is no good rant"?? Surprise! It's not...)

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Crown challenges their performers more than BD challenges theirs and this is in all aspects of what is challenging (not just simultaneous demand).

I'm not talking about the cleverness of BDs design.

Geez, Charlie.. Can you lighten up a bit? You managed to take great thread and then turn to your normal BD is no good rant.... :thumbdown:

I doubt seriously that you can speak for BD corp members vs Crown members as you likely did not march for both. As for the show, the beginning of the Crown show looks very difficult, but then it kind of eases up a lot. This is a lot more like any other performing art. If you cannot do it clean or well, you don't win.

the judges want to see you can do something and do it well. This is what BD does far better. They don't show the same skills multiple times, because once perfected, you open yourself up to dirt happening.

so yes, while I personally love shows with all kinds of crazyrunning, and to a lesser extent body, if you do it a lot, you will open yourself up to not being clean.

The judges don't care how much you do as long as you do it well. if you show you can jazz run well once, the sheets don't require you to show you can do it again.

Edited by Jeff Ream

Geez, Charlie.. Can you lighten up a bit? You managed to take great thread and then turn to your normal BD is no good rant.... :thumbdown:

I doubt seriously that you can speak for BD corp members vs Crown members as you likely did not march for both. As for the show, the beginning of the Crown show looks very difficult, but then it kind of eases up a lot. This is a lot more like any other performing art. If you cannot do it clean or well, you don't win.

Uhm... did I say anything about BD not being good? Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

It's a perfectly legitimate claim to make when we are talking about these two school of thoughts. I think Crown's show design revolves around challenging the members past physical and environmental comfort levels while BD focuses on a clever design.

My comment is only as "negative" or "abrasive" as you interpret it to be. And it most certainly isn't either of those!

Let me restate. I am talking about the challenge presented to the members in all aspects of the show. The Challenge placed by Crown on its members is greater than BD's challenge to its members.

If we want to talk about the two different designs and approaches I think this is very legitimate claim. BD does not have putting the most challenging production on the field as a priority. The judges don't necessarily look for that. Crown on the other hand did have the idea of putting together the most challenging show they could think of. I imagine that was part of their goal and it should be discussed! The choice of repertoire and drill clearly reflect this.

Edited by charlie1223

the judges want to see you can do something and do it well. This is what BD does far better. They don't show the same skills multiple times, because once perfected, you open yourself up to dirt happening.

so yes, while I personally love shows with all kinds of crazyrunning, and to a lesser extent body, if you do it a lot, you will open yourself up to not being clean.

The judges don't care how much you do as long as you do it well. if you show you can jazz run well once, the sheets don't require you to show you can do it again.

Exactly.