Does DCI Perpetuate a Bias?

...I mean after all, fans are like sheep...if Boo says it, they'll like it even if they see it live later and they wouldn't like it. Boo has that power.

In my spare time, I'm Batman's secret assistant.

batman1.jpg

Michael Boo is the closest thing DCI has to a "National Treasure".

lol. Does that mean I shouldn't have to take out my own garbage cans to the curb every week?

And thank you to Mr. Boo for all you do for DCI and drum corps in general.

To everyone...seriously, thank you.

• Like 1

As a parent I appreciate the commentary. I always grow to love the show my kid's corp puts out and don't understand what the judges are judging sometimes. It helps to get perspective.

As far as I can tell the blog is positive and constructive.

I liked when he had a co blogger at one of the events last year.

I appreciate it and am not overly concerned of the bias worry which I dont really notce at all.

There will be co-bloggers at all three Indianapolis events. It's a lot of fun to feed off the commentary of others and their observations make the shows fresh for me as they're reacting with different eyes and ears.

...But know this....when you call out the Boo....look out for the Boo Brigade...

Oh, can someone please get some t-shirts made up? :thumbup:

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

trollrt.jpg

• Like 1

...Furthermore, if he were supposedly biased then he would not have said some really exciting things about BAC who is this year in tight competition with Cavies. In fact, I INCLUDED SUNDAY his blog posts in the BAC THREAD...

Cool. I'm touched by that.

And here's something else you may like knowing...

Sunday, I flew down to Tampa Bay to be with a good drum corps friend who turned 90 on that day. This man is a HUGE BAC fan. I asked Tom Spatero to call him for his birthday. I was there when Tom called and he was touched to the nth degree, as he has always LOVED the corps.

Tom was really classy to take time out of his day to make someone's day like that.

(This is the same man several years ago who I surprised by bringing Troopers' founder Jim Jones and his wife, Grace, back to our dorm room in Madison after one of the shows Finals week. I'll never forget Bob grumbling about having to get out of bed and get dressed because I had invited someone to the room when he was already asleep. And then when Jim and Grace knocked on the door and he saw who it was, he exclaimed, "MR. Jones!" As Jim and Grace ate their sandwiches from the mini mart across the street, I became a fly on the wall and just listened to them reminisce about VFW Nationals from decades ago. That remains one of my most special memories, and also that of my friend. And Tom gave him a new one on Sunday.)

• Like 1

What? Boo has a blog?

Who knew? All this time I thought I was sending secret code out to the Trilateral Commission.

Just got around to reading this thread.

Who is this Mike Boo guy??? :peek:

He's someone who looks up to Fran Haring. :worthy:

Right now, I'm in Florida staying overnight in the house of someone I just met last year when I posted a comment on DCP in the Minneapolis thread that I was available for lunch the day after the show. I did it partly in jest, but this family took me up on it. We met for lunch, went to an art museum and an outdoor sculpture garden and stayed in touch. Last July, I visited them between Atlanta and Allentown.

Anything I do and anything I write for drum corps pales next to being allowed to get to make friends with the special people who love drum corps, who continually remind me why I love drum corps.

• Like 1