Does DCI Perpetuate a Bias?

In answer to your question: DCI does NOT approve anything that any of its employees write in a blog. The blog is personal. Any professional knows this. The only approval given by DCI is to hire judges who do the RANKING and RATING. End of story. Anything else is just personal opinion and for fun and for discussion. Whatever Boo blogs about is not to be discussed by the judges. They know their jobs, and for the most part I believe they do their jobs quite well.

All of us on DCP who write about the shows as we watch them (twitter, facebook, DCP) are essentially blogging our opinions. Just because Boo works for DCI does not mean they agree with his thoughts on all corps. Even if they did what advantage does that give the corps that Boo likes? None. The judges grade the shows.

In answer to your question: DCI does NOT approve anything that any of its employees write in a blog. The blog is personal. Any professional knows this. The only approval given by DCI is to hire judges who do the RANKING and RATING.

Speaking of does DCI Perpetuate a Bias.... :devil:

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

Mike's opinion is Mike's opinion. he does not speak for DCI. Mike finds something positive about everyone ( especially if they have cheese involved :w00t: )

I think you need to relax.

My point is that those geniuses are writing on DCP. Why does DCI have anyone at all write a blog on its site?

because they want to?

I mean really, with all of the issues in drum corps right now, this is your biggest beef?

eat Mor chikn then

• Like 1

Am I qualified to talk about anything regarding drum corps, even after being intimately involved with the activity since the fall of 1974? Many would say "yes." Others, including myself, would say "no."

As for commenting on anything visual, I've written for WGI since about 1980, so please don't spill the beans to them about me being unqualified to talk about anything visual because I've got a couple music degrees (from the back of matchbook covers) and spend two weeks every early June in China with my music. Several years ago, to better familiarize myself with what visual judges look at, I even went through color guard judging workshops and field trialed guard contests with the Central States Judges Association. I didn't go on to judge...that wasn't the purpose; however, I did feel it gave me more perspective to write about the guard activity.

My blog is certainly one man's opinion because I've done my best to rid myself of all the multiple personalities that were feeding me other people's opinions. I wouldn't say DCI approves or disapproves of anything I write. I try to be honest and help bring people into the "now" of a show with fairly general comments, mostly positive and some hopefully constructive when I observe weaknesses. What I'm doing is reacting as a fan, first and foremost. We all have opinions colored by our experiences and training, and I'm no different. I don't present myself as an expert at anything except expressing my love of this remarkable activity. After writing for DCI in various capacities since the 1984 liner notes, I hope I've picked up something worth sharing. But ultimately, my usefulness to DCI is measured by if anyone even cares enough to read me. If that somehow ceases to be a factor someday, I'll be off to comment about squirrels in the public park.

What visual experience do I have? Well, to start with, I've got two fairly new eyes courtesy of a double cataract procedure three years ago. I've been to every WGI World Championship since the organization was founded. Did you know I've interviewed over 70 World and Olympic figure skaters (from Peggy Fleming to Brian Boitano, Michelle Kwan and Sarah Hughes, amongst many others) and even wrote an honors-winning book about the activity? (The publication for which I wrote was killed off by the Internet, but it was a good run.) I'm also a member of the Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago and go to many of the new shows, if for no other reason than to get honked off. I own well over 100 books on architecture and have done architecture tours around the country. As for movement, I waddle like a goose tied to a fire hydrant, but I still remember something from when I wrote drills for up to ten high school bands a year. I'm not allowed to touch guard equipment per agreement with the UN, but I enjoy what I see and have been to a number of modern dance performances, including ABT, Hubbard Street Dance, Joffrey Ballet, Merce Cunningham, Feld Ballet, Twyla Tharp and the like.

In the progression of the blogs during the season, I attempt to make observations about changes and improvements as I see them, in order to help those who aren't there feel part of the experience. I have zero influence on any judges and the person I most disagree with in my observations is myself.

If DCI wishes to add another person blogging at Minneapolis, San Antonio or Atlanta, I'm sure I would welcome that as I firmly believe that the more content available to people, the better. However, are you aware that last year, I brought in someone else with other views to co-blog with me at the World Championships Prelims, Semifinals and Finals? And I'm doing so again this year, with a couple people I blogged with over the two weekends of the WGI World Championships.

If the blog fails to bring in readers, it will be dropped as you suggest. There is nothing on DCI.org that states, "For entertainment purposes only," but perhaps there should be.

Last year, I received some very irate e-mails about the blog from people both claiming I was an obvious Cavalier wonk and from others claiming I hated The Cavaliers. I stripped off their addresses and forwarded their comments to each other. One of those writes me numerous times during the season to ask me my observations.

If I am a big fish, I'm a big fish in a very small pond; but since I'm a vegetarian, I prefer to think of myself as a watermelon in a one-quart Zip-Loc bag. And since I hate watermelon, I sometimes chide myself for what I write and get confused about my purpose in a world stuck between Puccini and dada.

But I'm grateful you've noticed what I write, as I try to put my heart in it. I don't mind if you don't care for what I write, as long as you read all or part of it. Life is too short to be concerned about what others think about every comment in between punctuation marks. And I encourage you to criticize me when you feel it's appropriate, and to bring me a root beer sno-cone in Allentown if you're there and think I'm contributing something of whatever value to the equation.

I'll be at the gate where the corps exit the field, gathering info from staff members about each show, comments I can use during my three days of blogging in indianapolis to better explain the shows to the fans. It can even be the small size sno-cone. That's even preferable since I'm on a diet and shouldn't even be touching sugar. But it's Allentown and I've got to celebrate being there for some reason other than knowing my friend Dennis DeLucia is up in the stands casting his gaze upon all he sees, which includes me because I'm kind of hard to miss and am sometimes mistaken for one of Carolina Crown's 14 timpani.

He is Mike Boo, and he approves this message

Sorry but I won't be in Allentown to bring you a snowcone! And guess what? I'll probably be reading your minute by minute blog of the event even though I maintain that your commentary carries more weight with the fans that it should.

My main question is why DCI has anyone blog? The other question was not meant as a personal attack, but is valid. If DCI insists on a blog, then why not have someone blogging about music and a different person blogging about visual.

When I speak of the status quo, I guess I'm frustrated that DCP ends up more like talk radio with people more concerned about upholding their position than having a civilized discussion. Guess that's part of politics -- government or DCI!

ok, i'll spill the beans.

several years ago, there was a secret DCi meeting. the topic: The need for a live blog.

Now, not all directors were invited. Just the ones that felt Boo loved them as much as he loves cheese. They saw his work for WGI and said "we need this guy! he can sway fans, influence judges, and even better, he won't go DeLucia on people)

( to be fair, Mike in his own way has had some great comments about issues with corps over the years. he doesn't have enough Jersey in him to deliver the message like Dennis does)

So after this meeting, the love blogs started. Amazingly, the corps that decided saw a huge increase in fan support because of Boo's blog. Literally thousands of emails saying "Boo's Blog made me fan". I mean after all, fans are like sheep...if Boo says it, they'll like it even if they see it live later and they wouldn't like it. Boo has that power.

enough sarcasm for you?

• Like 2

If DCI wishes to add another person blogging at Minneapolis, San Antonio or Atlanta, I'm sure I would welcome that as I firmly believe that the more content available to people, the better. However, are you aware that last year, I brought in someone else with other views to co-blog with me at the World Championships Prelims, Semifinals and Finals? And I'm doing so again this year, with a couple people I blogged with over the two weekends of the WGI World Championships.

Dear Mr. Boo,

Is this an official invitation? I have always wanted to get into that blogging stuff on the world wide internet web. I'm sure you can pull some strings and DCI could publish some of my ramblings and thoughts.

I promise to clean up my potty mouth and I also promise that I won't bring my personal life into my writings unless it is directly related to the activity and how it impacts the performances of certain corps.

I can't recall ever reading anything negative from him. He always highlights the positives of what each corps is doing from what I have read. Is there some specific bashing he has done you can highlight?

Having already chimed in with my "IS THIS GUY KIDDING ME?" comment, I (and others) have gone too far.

We've taken the bait, swallowed it whole, and entertained the OP for a while with our protests.

How about letting the air out of this...letting what has been said so far in opposition stand on its own...and move on to another topic where we can entertain other OP's with our sage remarks?

I can't recall ever reading anything negative from him. He always highlights the positives of what each corps is doing from what I have read. Is there some specific bashing he has done you can highlight?

The truth is I drop kicked his puppy over a goal post, just to watch it attain terminal velocity. And yes, you are old. "The Boo Chronicles" in Drum Corps News predated "A Bit of Boo" in Drum Corps World and ran in the early to mid-1980s. I wrote them because a neighbor needed to line his parakeet cage.

Bet he was PO'ed when DCN stopped publication, I know I was.....