Does DCI Perpetuate a Bias?

Yeah... Not sure what the big deal is, here. This is no different than an audio track commentary on a DVD, where "the opinions expressed here belong solely to the commentators and do not reflect the opinions of the studio" etc. etc.

Giving a person a platform to express his opinions is in no way an endorsement. It's a way of making the fans feel like they're a part of the activity by giving the activity a relatable face.

And given that Micheal Boo goes out of his way to be positive towards every corps, I fail to see what's at issue here. Perhaps he should show us his tax returns? Birth certificate? College transcript, maybe? I hear he was born in Hawaii.

My tax returns are filed in the Cayman Islands, which doesn't have taxes. It's a clever ploy. My birth certificate is a lie because it doesn't show I was hatched...as part of a CIA plot. As for my college transcripts, they served as the inspiration for the "Harold and Kumar" movies.

• Like 1

I don't think there are more than a handful of people in all of Drumcorps who have actually studied anything in the visual arts including judges and designers. As for Boo..... I love everything about him including his wacky wit and I always find his writing entertaining!

• Like 2

I am trying to grasp this. So I am going to step this out. Let me know if I am wrong here.

1. You feel Mike Boo has bias in his live-blogs.
  2. You will continue to read his live-blogs, while understanding the context.
  3. You willingly read, and filter the opinion according to your own understanding.

Don't we all do that? Do you feel that the rest of us aren't capable of the same? It sounds like you are worried that most DCI.org readers are to feeble-minded to sort out the content via the context.

Personally, if the blog diverts to the topic of finely aged cheeses, I won't be as thrilled. But knowing Boo, I understand why it went there! Now on the subject of waffles, I will follow him to the ends of the earth.

• Like 1

I don't think there are more than a handful of people in all of Drumcorps who have actually studied anything in the visual arts including judges and designers. As for Boo..... I love everything about him including his wacky wit and I always find his writing entertaining!

How many Micheal Grays can you fit in one hand?

:satisfied:

• Like 1

I don't think DCI could have a more objective person than Michael Boo. He is so objective that I think he should work for the UN (although I think it would be cruel to subject him to that).

I think he represents DCI extremely well. Every organization needs a public representative who can do that.

Maybe they should put him in charge of Marketing - now that's an idea!

• Like 1

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

People that are best qualified to write about this activity have some history within the activity. I'd much rather have someone that marched somewhere give insight to the activity than someone that didn't.

That said, I've never read anything Boo's written that came across as overt bias one way or the other.

He is the written word of DCI as Brandt Crocker is the spoken.

• Like 1

I find the Boo Blog to be a staple that I look forward to reading. The play-by-play is colorful, witty,

sometimes weird, and most importantly more entertaining to read than my local thrifty nickle magazine!

But biased? I don't know...doesn't seem like it too me.

• Like 1

Mike Bianchi is a sports columnist in Orlando who could be called a windbag, has never played pro sports and so forth.

I make sure to read his column every day.

Telling it like it is is a good recipe for getting into a snit here or there.

Ask Brandi Chastain (see "Hope Solo tweets cause a stir at Olympics")

Boo only marched Cavies and has done drum corps for 30 years or so, continues to work every day at his craft and has relationships that go far beyond the field.

One day his "cred" will measure up to the OP's need.

Until then, give 'em he ll, Mike. I'll log in religiously, unless so many others are in line ahead of me that the system crashes.

Interviewer: Why do people that like Howard Stern listen to his show? NBC Producer: They cant wait to hear what he has to say next.

Interviewer: Why do people who hate Howard Stern listen to his show? NBC Producer: They cant wait to hear what he has to say next.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 1

...... However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it.

Since it is DCI's website - I think they have the right to post what they deem appropriate ! Do you want a completely vanilla blog - a group hug - we'll all good type of stuff?

I don't mind reading Mike's take. He's been very active in "my" activity and I appreciate his enthusiasm. I might not agree with him all the time - but he is working hard and continues to promote this sacred activity.

On the other hand - you don't have to read his apparent "biased" blog. It's not a requirement.

• Like 1

To even question Mike Boo's credentials for writing his blogs is ridiculous beyond words. He is one of the most knowledgeable and insightful writers to ever grace the drum corps genre. His blogs, in my opinion, have always been "the next best thing to being there". I believe he has bent over backwards to be fair and positve to corps and when he does make a criticism it usually is "spot on" and constructive in nature. In fact, as far as prejudice is concerned, he has probably been more critical of his Cavaliers than about anyone I've read. Also, his often quirky humor keeps the blogs from being a dull play-by-play account, which it would almost surely be in most writer's hands.

To further demonstrate what a great writer he is, he even has me appreciating Blue Devils show and has me look forward to seeing them again after leaving me pretty cold upon first look.

Keep up the great work Mike!