Does DCI Perpetuate a Bias?

...If that somehow ceases to be a factor someday, I'll be off to comment about squirrels in the public park.

In addition to keeping up his awesome work as a DCI blogger, can we start a campaign to get Mr. Boo to create a squirrels-in-parks blog??? It'd be more entertaining and insightful than 95% of the crappola blogs out there, that's for sure!

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

Michael Boo is the closest thing DCI has to a "National Treasure".

He is a low-key, humble guy who is quietly excellent at what he does, and has been for a couple of decades now.

You want to add a visual person too? Great!

But leave Michael alone!

:-)

• Like 2

Wow, this has been one of the more interesting threads in a while.

I have to admit I am a little baffled by the original poster.

While he questions Mr. Boo and his qualifications, and then goes further to say no one should be blogging, but yet then states he is going to read the entire next blog. Personally, I am wondering why, if you are against something why you would watch/read it the next time.

I personally don't read the blogs during the webcasts. I love paying attention to everything regarding the show, and don't wish to read a blog. I do sometimes come to DCP during the breaks to comment or read other comments. I do however read the comments Michael Boo makes on DCP, and have read his columns over the years. I believe he calls them as he sees them, and does try to find a positive in every single corps, which is great. I agree with his opinions about 85-90% of the time. And even if I don't agree with some of his opinions, I do respect them, and a lot of times can see where he is coming from.

I guess to understand the original posters comments, I would need to see an example of what about the blogging is upsetting them. A blog is just one persons opinion on something. Even though I don't read the blogs during performances, I am glad they are there for people who want to read them. I would respect Mr. Boo's opinion more than I do Rondinaro, or Cesario. And I would bet money, even without having read his blog, that everything stated is truthful, respectful, insightful, entertaining, and very well written. But I am really curious as to why you would want his blog to be taken off. It is your choice not to read the blog, and if the show is more entertaining without reading it, why bother? But why ruin others enjoyment from what they get out of his blogs? And if you have a differing opinion, contact DCI, and maybe they will give you your own blog as well, from a different point of view. And then maybe tens of people will read what you have to say too(that is meant to be humorous, as I have no idea how many people read the live blogs)

And thank you to Mr. Boo for all you do for DCI and drum corps in general.

As a parent of a corps member, Michael's blog is not only a portal to my son when I can't be there in person, but provides insight (I have only been around the activity for two seasons) into the rich history of each corps and the activity.

My question is: What is the bias that is so troubling?

- A bias towards the Cavaliers? I haven't witnessed it.

- A bias against another corps? I haven't witnessed that, either.

- A bias towards "traditional" instrumentation or visuals? Maybe, but I'm a dinosaur and tend to appreciate traditions.

- A bias against "new" instrumentation or visuals (ex. no brass, just one-finger synth bass and a mass pop-and-lock visual)? Nope.

I have always found him to be someone to find the best in each show - in stark contrast to many of the posters on DCP.

I do have to admit, one of the best things I like about America - we have choices about where we go for information (FOX, CNN, the former MSNBC, the networks, even Michael's Blog). If I don't like it, I can look somewhere else.

So help me out. If not, maybe you can tilt at another windmill - taking the politics out of government...

Michael Boo is the closest thing DCI has to a "National Treasure".

He is a low-key, humble guy who is quietly excellent at what he does, and has been for a couple of decades now.

You want to add a visual person too? Great!

But leave Michael alone!

:-)

Are you watching SyFy now, too?

If not, quirky coincidence.

As a parent I appreciate the commentary. I always grow to love the show my kid's corp puts out and don't understand what the judges are judging sometimes. It helps to get perspective.

As far as I can tell the blog is positive and constructive.

I liked when he had a co blogger at one of the events last year.

I appreciate it and am not overly concerned of the bias worry which I dont really notce at all.

• Like 1

Well Boo, this thread has a pretty good PPH (post per hr) goin' for it. No surprise.

And to In The Stands....your comments are always welcome here, just say em', hold your ground, and be prepared for disagreement, as well a healthy amount of slings and arrows of outrageous pontification. But know this....when you call out the Boo....look out the Boo Brigade. w00t.gif BTW, I gave you a greenie out of shear audacity.

Mike is a great writer, but if you stick around here long enough you'll find some very good writing amongst this group of miscreants hanging around these threads. Some of it is worthy of publishing for sure. And such things as Bruckner8's CI were born here and are becoming part of DC vernacular.

A much better approach might be to put your thoughts out there and let the peanut gallery chew on em', without necessarily disregarding what others may write.

Stick around.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

I've been following drum corps (DCI) for 15 years and love the activity. I am concerned that DCI perpetuates a bias when they sanction Michael Boo's blog. Personally, I find it helpful when I am not at a show. However, Boo's blog is one man's opinion -- the only man's opinion that runs on the DCI website. To the extent that Boo writes negative or positive commentary, DCI approves it. We are told that Boo marched Cavaliers for 3 years and has two degrees in music. Does that qualify him to comment authoriatively on the visual aspects? At very least, DCI should sanction a second blog by someone with visual expertise. In fairness to all corps, I think DCI should drop the blog on its website.

I've always appreciated Michael Boo's blog over the years and I've been following 27 YEARS. In his defense, his comments are COMPLETELY BIAS-LESS IMO. They are actually quite different from all those OTHER TWEETERS giving their opinions of the ACTION and saying NEGATIVE things about the drum corps performing for a particular night. Furthermore, if he were supposedly biased then he would not have said some really exciting things about BAC who is this year in tight competition with Cavies. In fact, I INCLUDED SUNDAY his blog posts in the BAC THREAD. This ATTACK on him is ridiculous and I am not afraid to admit publicly that YOU have received A GREAT BIG RED NEGATIVE from me. This is just one of the most ridiculous criticisms I've read on DCP to date. It is against "Drum Corps Planet Community Guidelines" that state "Members shall not post -- personal attacks on other Community members or non-members". SHALL NOT is a very clear message to me and your post VIOLATES that rule IMO.

To the rest of the DCP community I apologize for my post here, but this really made me mad.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

I've always appreciated Michael Boo's blog over the years and I've been following 27 YEARS. In his defense, his comments are COMPLETELY BIAS-LESS IMO. They are actually quite different from all those OTHER TWEETERS giving their opinions of the ACTION and saying NEGATIVE things about the drum corps performing for a particular night. Furthermore, if he were supposedly biased then he would not have said some really exciting things about BAC who is this year in tight competition with Cavies. In fact, I INCLUDED SUNDAY his blog posts in the BAC THREAD. This ATTACK on him is ridiculous and I am not afraid to admit publicly that YOU have received A GREAT BIG RED NEGATIVE from me. This is just one of the most ridiculous criticisms I've read on DCP to date. It is against "Drum Corps Planet Community Guidelines" that state "Members shall not post -- personal attacks on other Community members or non-members". SHALL NOT is a very clear message to me and your post VIOLATES that rule IMO.

To the rest of the DCP community I apologize for my post here, but this really made me mad.

Sorry, Liahona, but this is not a personal attack. I don't think it's a valid criticism, but it's just as permissible as 'George Hopkins's latest rule change idea will be bad for the activity,' or 'David Gibbs's show ideas are not fan-friendly,' or 'I disagree with JJ Pipitone's rating of Cadets last night.'

BTW, thanks for the tweets you've been posting.

• Like 1

The only possible DCI bias and/or conflict of interest I can possibly see here is that perhaps the blog should include a disclaimer and state something similar to the below:

"This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me, Michael Boo. The views and the content contained in this blog are expressed opinions of the author and the author alone. In no way do I ever intend to speak for any person, judge, or organization (DCI) that I am in any way whatsoever involved or associated with unless I specifically state that I am doing so in my blog post."