Hey, Parents!

How often do you talk to your kid?

When I marched (1998 - 2003), I called home maybe three or four times during the summer, usually on laundry days. Cell phones started to become a "thing" in 01ish, but I don't think guys really used them very often. (At least that's how I remember it.)

I feel like today, kids are checking in at home more. Is this the case?

I text mine once a day with a string of random questions or observations about the previous night's show. She replies at 4AM!!!! usually with a very brief response. I think she does this so that I won't be immediately able to text back a set of follow up questions lol. Phone calls are a rarity.

• Like 1

How often do you talk to your kid?

When I marched (1998 - 2003), I called home maybe three or four times during the summer, usually on laundry days. Cell phones started to become a "thing" in 01ish, but I don't think guys really used them very often. (At least that's how I remember it.)

I feel like today, kids are checking in at home more. Is this the case?

I text back and forth with my son almost daily - it's interesting to hear the daily ups and downs.

My son texts, calls, and sends pictures often. It depends on the relationship you have I guess.

I've wondered about this too. There is something special about being disconnected from the real world...lots of running jokes in drum corps. In today's world it seems as though kids would still be able to keep up with family a little bit easier. Would that be a distraction to the great goal?

I remember writing letters home back in '04. I had bummed a cell phone to call home and only did that about twice. I don't have kids so I can't answer the OP. sorry.

I've heard that some corps require their kids to turn in their cell phones at the start of tour. Can anyone confirm?

I'm not a parent, but my friends text me everyday while on tour, sometimes corps will post various photos of their housing sites and the "Charging stations". Seems like a lot of the kids today use cell phones to call/text family and friends while on tour more frequently.

I usually text with my son once or twice a week. He's like his old man...he just doesn't have a lot to say:

My text to him: Wow, I saw the show on Fan Network last night and I though you guys looked and sounded great. It's really starting to come together!

His text back, several hours later-- Yeah, we had a good run.

Oh, well...at least I find out he's still alive.

This is very interesting. One of the things I *loved* about marching was being able to leave the "real world" behind and really focus on having a great experience.

I guess this is just yet another way that the activity is changing.

I wonder what would happen if a corps said "No cell phones." Do the Cavaliers still do this?

• Like 1

In '08 - 01' I only heard from my son about 4 times a summer because there were no cell phones just long lines and phone booths.

In '02 he became the "news person" on the BD bus so I got to hear from him daily when I'd give them some sort of bizarre news of the day, it was fun.

My daughter toured last year, I heard from her every night and got pics.

My son is a visual tech with BK now; I hear from him about every other day or if there are no tweeters at a show I'll text and he'll give me some updates to post.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom