Saturday, August 4, 2012 - 3:00 PM EDT

Four Flags Spectacular

Venue Address

Niles High School Stadium

1441 Eagle Street

Niles, MI 49120

Performing Corps

Corps listed in alphabetical order.

Performance order determined during tour.

7th Regiment - New London, CT

Music City - Nashville, TN

Legends - Kalamazoo, MI

Raiders - Wayne, NJ

Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA

Les Stentors - Sherbrooke, QU

Blue Saints - Sudbury, ON

Gold - San Diego, CA

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

Genesis - Edinburg, TX

Oregon Crusaders - Portland, OR

Revolution - San Antonio, TX

Spartans - Nashua, NH

Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

Last Update on 4 Aug 1:54 pm EDT

Current conditions at

South Bend Regional Airport (KSBN)

Lat: 41.71 Lon: -86.32 Elev: 773ft.

Partly Cloudy

85°F (29°C)

Humidity 63%

Wind Speed S 5 mph

Barometer 29.91 in (1012.0 mb)

Dewpoint 71°F (22°C)

Visibility 10.00 mi

Heat Index 90°F (32°C)

This Afternoon: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 93. Heat index values as high as 97. South wind around 10 mph.

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Niles, MI

Saturday, August 4, 2012 - 3:00 PM EDT

Four Flags Spectacular

Venue Address

Niles High School Stadium

1441 Eagle Street

Niles, MI 49120

Performing Corps

Corps listed in alphabetical order.

Performance order determined during tour.

7th Regiment - New London, CT

Music City - Nashville, TN

Legends - Kalamazoo, MI

Raiders - Wayne, NJ

Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA

Les Stentors - Sherbrooke, QU

Blue Saints - Sudbury, ON

Gold - San Diego, CA

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

Genesis - Edinburg, TX

Oregon Crusaders - Portland, OR

Revolution - San Antonio, TX

Spartans - Nashua, NH

Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

Last Update on 4 Aug 1:54 pm EDT

Current conditions at

South Bend Regional Airport (KSBN)

Lat: 41.71 Lon: -86.32 Elev: 773ft.

Partly Cloudy

85°F (29°C)

Humidity 63%

Wind Speed S 5 mph

Barometer 29.91 in (1012.0 mb)

Dewpoint 71°F (22°C)

Visibility 10.00 mi

Heat Index 90°F (32°C)

This Afternoon: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 93. Heat index values as high as 97. South wind around 10 mph.

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Show is canceled

Just got back from the Niles, Michigan show. Had a great time till the tornado anyway ! The show officials did a good job of warning the corps & crowd about the impending bad weather. Sounds like everyone was safe. I really enjoyed all the corps that I did get to see. Here are a few thoughts:

Gold - Very nice sound from a large brass section - counted 11 contras. Very talented flugelhorn soloist in the middle tune. Show got a great response from the crowd. Kept wondering to myself.... could this corps might be the next big corps from California ??

Blue Saints - very small corps once again, but performing pretty well. I think they just need a little more confidence in their ability & sell the show better. The drum line has two snare drummers who are featured - very talented kids.

Les Stentors - This was the first time I had seen this corps in three years. Wow..what a shock. So much improved. Performing a fun 60's rock show complete with a "wipeout" percussion feature - a big hit with the crowd. A few individuals sticking out in the horn line but overall very nice. A five member guard but very talented and selling the show well.

Colt Cadets - Saw this corps at Whitewater - very much improved since that show especially in the brass section. Battery plays musically & have a well written book. Colt Cadets always a crowd favorite in the open class did not disappoint again this year. great job !

Raiders - Nice upper brass ! Very sophisticated show design. Nice volume from a horn line with less than 40 performers. Pretty sure brass was the strongest section of the corps till the percussion feature - Holy Cow !. Nice well rounded corps. Loved the show.

Legends - Never shy away from challenging their performers. Nice show concept that the crowd can relate to especially in the Midwest. Very nice low brass section & a much improved color guard this year. A huge response from the home state crowd.

Music City - What a clever show design. Performing songs the average audience member can relate to but still presenting it in a new & fresh way - excellent. All areas of this corps are pretty strong. The color guard was a definite standout. One of my favorite shows of the year.

7th Regiment - Daunting task going on after the much bigger Music City but Regiment pulled it off quite well. Small horn line but have nice volume & play very musically.

Genesis - My first viewing of this corps ever. They did not disappoint. Very complex show for the open class. I wonder what kind of damage this corps could do if they were full ?? I'm a fan.

Bummed out that I couldn't see the rest of the corps. Someday I will get to see the O.C. perform - live !

photos from the show: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4465359833620.2185800.1278502144&type=1

Edited by spatula67
  • Like 2

Thanks for the recap, bummer about the weather. One more argument in favor of starting in the east and finishing the OC and WC seasons out west. It was a beautiful 75 and sunny with little humidity today! I'm so sick of shows being rained out.

• Like 1

I was looking forward to those shows almost as much as the corps were to performing them. So sorry the age outs didn't get to go out and march. One less chance to let the world see how great their talent is. Good luck in finals everyone.

I am so in agreement about weather in the west being PERFECT for outdoor shows this time of year. No thunderstorm threats... no tornadoes to run from...dry air... just NICE. I am leaving this wonderful weather for Indy and Mich. Cty tonight and after spending all the money and time to travel, will be devastated if either of the Mich Cty shows are rained out. Last year the prelims were.

Thanks for the recap, bummer about the weather. One more argument in favor of starting in the east and finishing the OC and WC seasons out west. It was a beautiful 75 and sunny with little humidity today! I'm so sick of shows being rained out.

Our Legends kids were noting the irony of having 3 shows rained out during the year of such drought.