Neutrality

The OP paid $ for the product so I think they have a right to comment on what they paid for. Also, arguing that a person should be able to do a better job before making any judgement is not a good argument. For example, I may see a movie that ends up having crappy special effects. I don't know anything about creating special effects, so I couldn't do a better job, but I still might have valid comments regarding them.

True, but if instead of offering a critique of the special effects, you accused the movie studios of bias towards particular effects studios based on the order and length of clips of those special effects in the movie trailer, then you wouldn't deserve a perfectly constructed argument either. :tongue:

I'm not resting this solely on Michael Boo's shoulders because I think his works are well written and well done. I still feel that he "picks" favorites. Here is one sentence from the notecard inside the 2011 finals DVD - "Boston Crusaders knocked the Blue Stars out of the eight place position that the corps had enjoyed for the last three years. Also above the Blue Stars finished the Blue Knights and Madison Scouts". It's not about what he said (he stated mere fact), it's how he said it. Again, by no means am I saying this is limited to people like Boo; I've sensed that there have been many people rooting for only a few select corps and others are getting left in the dust. I can name a few other than just the Blue Stars. I also think that in relation to the podcasts that Dan Potter puts out for DCI are also focused on a few select corps. I recall listening to a podcast last year that was about 20 minutes in length and 11 or so minutes of the podcast was dedicated the Blue Devils. Why not split up that time and dedicate it to talking about the top 12? Perhaps there could be some talk about the corps that are in the running for the top 12 as well. It could mean only speaking about a corps for a minute and a half, but I think this is sufficient for 1 podcast, as they came out on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. Even the video that was shown at DCI finals last year showed more scenes of BD, Crown, SCV and Cadets then all of the other corps combined. As much as you guys disagree, I DO believe DCI can do a better job promoting each corps equally.

Does the NFL, MBL, NBA, NASCAR, etc.... promote all of their teams/competitors equally?... no!.. and they shouldn't for business's sake. There are stars and powerhouses in every sport... this is what people come to see. The corps that sell the tickets deserve a little more exposure than the rest. Not that DCI should try and hide some of its other corps, but it is pretty ridiculous to talk about Pioneer just as much as the Blue Devils... just like the Colorado Rockies will never get the same coverage as the New York Yankees.

wait. hold on here.

a journalist picks favorites. You mean...like the newspapers do? or tv does?

as for your example....what's so wrong with what he said? it's the ####### truth?

Now while agree DCI marketing may focus a little too much on the top corps...well....when you read the sports, do you hear about the KC Royals or the Yankees?

We sure do miss the Kansas City Star though....

• Like 1

I've concluded over the past few years that neutrality is almost completely gone from DCI. It's even evident with DCI's own media and press that favorites are picked. I'm even looking at the card inside my 2011 DCI Championships DVD and bias is shown.

Agree or Disagree? You decide

WHAT..-Did-I-do-this-time%3F.jpg

• Like 4

, I DO believe DCI can do a better job promoting each corps equally.

Now what corps bring in the most money? Where is DCI's incentive to promote corps that won't generate a return?

ATTENTION... ATTENTION MICHAEL BOO... I think he means you. :tongue:

If you mean treating all corps equally, some may be more equal than others, but good luck getting consensus on who is treated more equally than others in this or any other competitive endeavor, and good luck in your quest for utopia.

He might be mad that he missed the sign I painted because I made the letters too small.

utopia.png

• Like 6

ATTENTION... ATTENTION MICHAEL BOO... I think he means you. :tongue:

What some people think I do at night.

its-all-about-me.jpg

Where I think I should hide until the season is over.

sany00111.jpg

• Like 3

He might be mad that he missed the sign I painted because I made the letters too small.

I guess the negative red mark means I've offended someone. I truly am a bad person.

Edit: Ditto for the "What did I do this time" post. I'm batting zero for infinity.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

I'm not resting this solely on Michael Boo's shoulders because I think his works are well written and well done. I still feel that he "picks" favorites. Here is one sentence from the notecard inside the 2011 finals DVD - "Boston Crusaders knocked the Blue Stars out of the eight place position that the corps had enjoyed for the last three years. Also above the Blue Stars finished the Blue Knights and Madison Scouts". It's not about what he said (he stated mere fact), it's how he said it. Again, by no means am I saying this is limited to people like Boo; I've sensed that there have been many people rooting for only a few select corps and others are getting left in the dust. I can name a few other than just the Blue Stars. I also think that in relation to the podcasts that Dan Potter puts out for DCI are also focused on a few select corps. I recall listening to a podcast last year that was about 20 minutes in length and 11 or so minutes of the podcast was dedicated the Blue Devils. Why not split up that time and dedicate it to talking about the top 12? Perhaps there could be some talk about the corps that are in the running for the top 12 as well. It could mean only speaking about a corps for a minute and a half, but I think this is sufficient for 1 podcast, as they came out on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. Even the video that was shown at DCI finals last year showed more scenes of BD, Crown, SCV and Cadets then all of the other corps combined. As much as you guys disagree, I DO believe DCI can do a better job promoting each corps equally.

The Blue Stars did, in fact, fall 3 places in 2011. Boston did, in fact, replace them in 8th place. How exactly should Boo have phrased it to avoid your accusation of "bias"?

To your larger point, the top corps draw the most fans and sponsors to DCI. They appropriately get featured in the bulk of the marketing. As corps like Bluecoats and Crown have moved up, they've gotten correspondingly more exposure from DCI. There's no reason to think the same thing won't happen if Scouts or Crusaders or Spirit start placing higher.

• Like 2

I'm not resting this solely on Michael Boo's shoulders because I think his works are well written and well done. I still feel that he "picks" favorites. Here is one sentence from the notecard inside the 2011 finals DVD - "Boston Crusaders knocked the Blue Stars out of the eight place position that the corps had enjoyed for the last three years. Also above the Blue Stars finished the Blue Knights and Madison Scouts". It's not about what he said (he stated mere fact), it's how he said it.

Okay, let me rewrite it.

No...I don't know how I would.

I'm serious here, so please humor me. How should that have been written?

And I'm also serious when I say, thank you for reading my work so thoroughly. I try crafting every sentence to have meaning and perhaps without knowing it, you've reminded me that people do care about what I write. That's something every writer lives for. (Even those who don't end sentences with prepositions, like I just did.)

Again, by no means am I saying this is limited to people like Boo; I've sensed that there have been many people rooting for only a few select corps and others are getting left in the dust. I can name a few other than just the Blue Stars. I also think that in relation to the podcasts that Dan Potter puts out for DCI are also focused on a few select corps. I recall listening to a podcast last year that was about 20 minutes in length and 11 or so minutes of the podcast was dedicated the Blue Devils. Why not split up that time and dedicate it to talking about the top 12?

Dan produces a multitude of wonderful podcasts each season. Each has a different focus. I don't know which one you listened to, but it probably had Blue Devils as a focus. It's possible that someone might wonder why the next podcast didn't focus on Blue Devils.

• Like 1