Yesterday's Scores

Judges, well you did it again--- don't know what you were judging, but it wasn't the same stuff the crowd saw this entire season.

You supposedly factored in some "crowd appeal" into the score this year, yet you totally disregard the single most crowd-appealing performance THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE 2012 SEASON, the Bridgeman Tribute by the Jersey Surf.

Why did you even bother? Yesterday's performance (which kept the Surf's standing O string intact, by the way) was far and away off the Richter scale of Entertaining. With the Jersey Surf, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it! And get it you did!

Well, guess what? The other performances may have the judges' seal of approval, but the Surf has the hearts of the entire DCI audience!

By the way (again), the judges admitted at the 2002 Winter Olympics that they got it wrong (the Canadian Figure Skaing Scandal), but they "manned up" and finally got it right. Hint Hint!

I am just a fan. But WHAT a FAN! LOVE the 2012 Surf!!!

• Like 4

It was available on the free stream in the afternoon.

I would put them ahead of the Blue Devils. That show left something to be desired......ENTERTAINMENT!!!

Surf is not going to be as clean as most of the DCI universe, but that show was entertaining. And THAT is what I pay money for.

I know I will get red marks, but I really don't care. Those red marks are purely opinion anyway....like the judging system :-)

I think BD's show is entertaining. I know I'm not the only one.

Like you said, opinions.

• Like 5

I enjoyed Surf quite a bit. Fun and funny show. But entertainment wise, there are easily 10+ corps ahead of them for me. I am more entertained by excellent execution than just a fun design. But I appreciate what Surf is doing this year.

• Like 3

Even if there are 10 ahead of them, that puts them at 11th place, not 20th/

I enjoyed Surf quite a bit. Fun and funny show. But entertainment wise, there are easily 10+ corps ahead of them for me. I am more entertained by excellent execution than just a fun design. But I appreciate what Surf is doing this year.

I promise you that the kids don't care. They are having the time of their lives. 5 years from now no one will remember that Surf was 20th, but they sure as heck will remember the show! Also, they have improved from last year (placement-wise). Now it's on the staff to continue to build the positive momentum. Keep entertaining the fans, while upping the execution levels, and the corps is in a good place for growth.

Edited by OrlandoContraAlum
  • Like 5

I promise you that the kids don't care. They are having the time of their lives. 5 years from now no one will remember that Surf was 20th, but they sure as heck will remember the show! Also, they have improved from last year (placement-wise). Now it's on the staff to continue to build the positive momentum. Keep entertaining the fans, while upping the execution levels, and the corps is in a good place for growth.

this is exactly what they need to do. keep the fun entertaining show and improve the performance quality.

The Bridgemen and VK were fun and entertaining, but those two corps could play the bejeezus out of those instruments, and Bridgemen also marched pretty darn well for the era. I always thought the Chuck Taylor's made VK's marching look bad, but their forms were usually good and on par with their competition.

So surf, keep the fun style and improve the technique and performance quality and you will find yourself passing those corps ahead of you, and trust me that is really fun when it starts to happen.

• Like 3

One more point... I (honestly) think that Surf is placing pretty much right where they should, from an overall standpoint. I think that they are underscored in GE, because I don't know that anyone actually knows HOW to effectively score GE, but I don't know that I would honestly put them above anyone ahead of them. Maybe one or two corps (not gonna name names!) but that would be about it.

• Like 3