An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

DCI, find a way to keep the dinos around without alienating the zygotes. It CAN be done, but it will require some deep thinking and a few changes. Don't give up so easily.

This... I agree with this.

• Like 3

Thank you for that. And you make an EXCELLENT point. What would DCI look like today if it had managed to retain a higher percentage of its age-outs over the years? This is exactly what I'm trying to say. It's a lot more difficult to fill a bucket with holes than to fill a bucket without holes. Evaporation is much slower than a leak.

DCI, find a way to keep the dinos around without alienating the zygotes. It CAN be done, but it will require some deep thinking and a few changes. Don't give up so easily.

DCI+WGI = Miles Davis turning his back to the audience and hiding behind the amps for more of his shows. Or serialist composers boasting that they don't need an audience.

You can innovate without putting yourself into a geeky ghetto of rarefied standards of design and 'excellence' that most DCI fans don't even seem to like anymore.

This discussion isn't over.

DCI needs its own version of ###### Riot to wake everyone up. A bad### punk corps (or better: age-out corps) that shows the standards the directors, designers, and judges are shoving down everyone's throats are just a product of their own lack of creativity to innovate within the strictures of a form.

DCI needs some satire and protest. Seriously. I feel bad for the kids who are caught in the middle of this. They deserve better leadership and standards that reward their effort, not play-to-the-sheets WGIDCI.

I'll throw in with that one too.

Climbin' aboard also.

I like zygotes better than plankton too. ha! :tongue: