An open letter to my son, and all the age outs

Two great stories....all the way from BD to Pioneer....and all in between. There is a place for everyone. I"m gonna make a baby later tonight so I can be telling stories in 20 years.

Two great stories....all the way from BD to Pioneer....and all in between. There is a place for everyone. I"m gonna make a baby later tonight so I can be telling stories in 20 years.

A comedian I was interviewing once said something that applies here. I asked him if he had any advice for teenagers and he said, 'practise safe sex; practice, practice, practice.' You might want to leave out the safe part.

Regards,

John

Congratulations to Thomas, Dan, on his world championship win.

Thanks. I'm just back from the show and still buzzing. It's a moment in time that I will never forget, and that will never come again.

Thanks. I'm just back from the show and still buzzing. It's a moment in time that I will never forget, and that will never come again.

So true. Thirty-five or fourty years later, you'll remember it like it was yesterday. I still remember marching off the field feeling like I had just done, and been part of, something phenominal in 77 and not knowing how much so until prelims were over. And I remember my last season very well. Congrats to your son.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

I was always impressed with him because he is deaf. How he does what he does I can't say. He always wanted to march in Glassmen where I once taught the drumline, or in Phantom, his favourite corps. It broke my heart because I knew that he never would because of his deafness.

Dunno that it would've been impossible....obviously he proved that it WAS possible. Did he never contact G-men or PR??

In 82 BD had a soprano player (from Canada, I think) was was VERY hard of hearing....and in 07 they had that one tenor who'd also marched Cadets who was (I think) legally blind.

And of course, there was the bari soloist for Oregon Crusaders in 07 who has some sort of degenerative condition and was confined to a wheelchair, playing a concert bari with solenoids to move the valves.

It's only a barrier if you let it be so...congrats on your son for marching Pio....or ANYWHERE for that matter.

To dapperpoet, your son has aged-out, but he will always be a part of the amazing Blue Devils family. It amazes me every day how tight I am with an organization I moved across the country to march with twenty something years ago. Like your son, I was very fortunate to have a parent that supported me.

To sarnia sam, I met your son when he was with the Blue Saints, and I was on the brass staff at Teal Sound. We shared a housing site in 2009. He is an amazing kid and a class act. I'm really happy he got to march with Pioneer.

Dunno that it would've been impossible....obviously he proved that it WAS possible. Did he never contact G-men or PR??

In 82 BD had a soprano player (from Canada, I think) was was VERY hard of hearing....and in 07 they had that one tenor who'd also marched Cadets who was (I think) legally blind.

And of course, there was the bari soloist for Oregon Crusaders in 07 who has some sort of degenerative condition and was confined to a wheelchair, playing a concert bari with solenoids to move the valves.

It's only a barrier if you let it be so...congrats on your son for marching Pio....or ANYWHERE for that matter.

Sam I understand what you mean. Having been in a line that was at the top I know how important listening is to being crispy clean. How that would work with someone who can't hear is not something I can imagine. Further down the scale where clean is relative and the notes are thicker he'd do well. I just don't know any of the top eight or ten lines were he could function at the level required, not for lack of trying. But, I've been wrong before.

Regards,

John

To dapperpoet, your son has aged-out, but he will always be a part of the amazing Blue Devils family. It amazes me every day how tight I am with an organization I moved across the country to march with twenty something years ago. Like your son, I was very fortunate to have a parent that supported me.

To sarnia sam, I met your son when he was with the Blue Saints, and I was on the brass staff at Teal Sound. We shared a housing site in 2009. He is an amazing kid and a class act. I'm really happy he got to march with Pioneer.

Thanks John. I guess I didn't clue in when he was telling me about the guy from Teal he was talking to that it was you. That was a corps he was interested in in 2010 as a place to march and guess it was your conversations that lead him that way. It's too bad it wasn't possible for him to do it at the time.

Regards,

John

Thanks John. I guess I didn't clue in when he was telling me about the guy from Teal he was talking to that it was you. That was a corps he was interested in in 2010 as a place to march and guess it was your conversations that lead him that way. It's too bad it wasn't possible for him to do it at the time.

It wasn't just me. He was talking with everyone on the Teal staff he could, trying to absorb everything. Most of the Blue Saints kids were like that. It was a fun day.