What would YOU do?

A few weeks back I posted a topic similar to the effect of, "What should I do?" This topic is somewhat relevant, but since that last post, my view has changed on certain issues. This post will be quite lengthy, but bear with me as I have to explain all the details in order for the correct advice to be given.

I'm 21, turn 22 next July. From Alabama. I'll graduate college next May with a degree in journalism and don't really know yet what I'm doing after graduation. There's a chance I could receive a Graduate Assistant position within a University Athletics Department, but that's yet to be determined.

Past musical experience: I don't mind being honest in this portion of the post, because honesty it's what gets people where they are. I have 5 years of experience on tenors and 2 years on bass drum. But that doesn't mean anything in my view of Drum Corps. I never got the chance to learn the detailed musical techniques like some people did, but I sort of picked up on different stuff over the years. The last time I played in anything was in 2009 when I was in my university marching band (300+), and I played tenors.

Here's the situation: In my eyes, I'm in a bad spot geographically to travel to audition camps, with the exception of Spirit. To some, driving 5-6 hours one weekend per month pay seem easy, but for me, it's sort of difficult. I'm responsible for 2-4 Division I Athletic Sports on campus and some of those sports will require travel to road events. I had my hopes up to go for Teal Sound, but now I'm not so sure about that.

I plan to audition for Spirit. But I'm not trying out on tenors. I understand that there are hundreds of other possible members that will be going for those spots, and if I'm honest with myself, I'm not up to par on my tenor ability nor will I make it there due to the lack of learning I received over the years. Sure, I would receive that instruction at camps, but I would honestly be a step behind. After thinking over things (every single day of the week), I've decided that it'd be best if I try out for the front ensemble, more specifically a rack/auxiliary/drumset percussion spot. By no means am I setting the bar too low for myself, but I'm just thinking about the situation realistically.

The other option: I have emailed, read and heard about internship positions available within corps. I've already been in contact with Crown and Crossmen about theirs. In the event that I did not make Spirit or it just didn't work out, I'd love to be on the road helping a corps in any way possible. I was recently told that I may regret that if it happened, because every day I'd wake up realizing that I was old enough to be on the field, but instead I was on the sideline wishing I was out there. I completely understand that.

I say all of the above to say this. If I make Spirit (or some other corps), so be it...that's the ultimate goal. If not, I still would LOVE to be on tour for an entire summer. If I'm honest with myself, I almost want to do drum corps for more the friendships, travel and experience rather than improving my musical ability. In the event I did not make it, I could still intern for a corps, still tour like I've always wanted, still be around drum corps every day, and even save $2500+. I don't say this to sound boastful, but the financial situation, nor the attitude situation are what has always kept me from trying this. I've always loved DCI and have often told myself I'm not good enough or I can't do it. But now, I'm nearing the last year of eligibility and I've got to get serious.

So, to all of you who honestly care and have listened to what I've had to say, what would you do? There's much more information I could have put, but I think I've got enough. :tongue:

• Like 2

I've given you my advice on read on this situation, and my opinion stays the same. Start e-mailing any corps you want to audition, and see if they have anyone from your local area that could drive you to camps, or would pass through your area. And ask around your school's band program. You can't be the only kid at your entire school that is interested in dci. See if anyone else is driving somewhere, or if you can set up a carpool system.

And from someone who aged-out this year, don't miss your last year. I got offered to spend the summer on support staff after getting hurt, but it would have driven me crazy being there, but not being on the field. I feel like being an intern would be like that. where you're with the corps, but not on the field performing and practicing every day

Sounds like you answered your own question. Go for the marching spot, and, if that doesn't work out, go for the internship. Either place you land is sure to be a great experience. Oh, start practicing NOW, and a lot...

Check your flight cost to both, all three or whoever. It might be more cost effective to fly than drive. Time is about equal but I know you can get cheap flights all around the southeast. I used to do it weekly between Atlanta, Charlotte, B'Ham, and Nashville. And many of the corps pick up folks from the airport - JUST ASK THE CORPs.

The corps preference is all you. Meet and talk to the folks, visit camps, figure out which one has your energy. You are about to spend some serious time and money and build some relationships that are lifelong.

And let me make another point: Let's just say things didn't work out with auditions, and I do decide to take an internship spot within a corps. We ALL know how, around April-June, various people post on DCP and other locations about spots that are still needing to be filled. Let's just say one of those spots still remaining is one I'm interested in and could potentially fill.

In the end, I'm practically in a win-win situation, no matter what happens.

If you don't feel you can make a battery, learn rudimentary baritone and march with the horns, - either way, you've got to march! Real life can wait one more summer.

Well that's one way to look at it.

Audition for Spirit. You'll never know unless you try. Too many people get all caught up in the audition process and lose sight of enjoying a fun weekend enjoying drum corps. Also, many open class corps (and some World Class corps) have positions open late into the spring and early summer.

From your post, I sense a passion to perform with a drum corps. Don't pass up the opportunity to do so.

After your marching year, you can always volunteer your time to support any drum corps out there. I can't think of a single corps that would ever turn away good volunteers!

But to answer your question: MARCH IN 2013!!! You'll never regret doing so. The experience will be life-changing.

Best wishes to you!!!

• Like 1