Another open letter to DCI.

1. Do we have to assume that throwing the dinos a bone will necessarily alienate any new fans? On the contrary, I don't think most newbies would miss the synths (except for the synth players, many of whom can also play percussion instruments), and I think a lot of them would enjoy seeing more shifts in scores and placement from night to night--imagine if there were true parity in Drum Corps and anyone could move five places in a night (as there is in highly subjective sports like gymnastics and diving).

The audition pool skill levels would have to be equal for each corps for anything like that to have a remote chance of working.

If this is complete inaction, then I'd hate to see what passionate participation is. I'm not sure that I'm leaving forever. Perhaps I just need a break. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right?

All I know is that right now, I'm fed up with DCI. I don't love it. I'm not enjoying it. Why should I force myself to give time and money to an activity that doesn't excite me? If you say it's because I need to "support the kids", I'll be glad to take my support to kids who are starving in foreign countries and help them out instead. :smile: Honestly, if you want audiences in the seats, you need to give audiences a reason to sit there. If they can keep building an audience while losing a certain number of audience members, then more power to them. I think there's a better way, and by writing as much as possible (and encouraging others to do the same), I'm hoping to help DCI find that better way.

You absolutely should not attend shows if this is true...and infect those who are fans or are just becoming fans with a lousy attitude. You like what you like, and it just happens you don't like DCI drum corps. So be it.

Fans are attending shows from all the reports here on DCP from around the country...and certainly from the two shows I was able to see...both packed houses.

you go to one broadway show at a time not everything on Broadway..which Im sure none of us would like everthing on broadway I would think 33% would be pretty good

Except that I can pick and choose what Broadway shows to pay for and what to skip. If DCI would let me pay admission for only the corps I want to see, you might have a point.

Until you come up with properly researched and verified ratios between those, like you, who will leave and those, like me, who will stay...what we have, at best, is conjecture.

If I had the resources to do it, I would in a heartbeat. In the meantime, conjecture is all we have. I feel like I've made a pretty good case that there may be an issue worth looking into. Everyone is free to have their own opinion, though. I'm not asking for lockstep uniformity (that would be DCI judging), just that someone will listen to what I'm saying (And an acknowledgement from DCI that they've heard what I've said would be a nice gesture, even if they plan to ignore it. So far, they've not replied to me in any way.)

Now...I would present you with two questions to ponder: What makes you think DCI has NOT taken the hard look you recommend? and Don't you think it's possible...if they have...that they've discounted the impact your actions will have on DCI and Drum Corps?

Maybe they have. Given the lack of even a "thanks for writing, but we're not interested", I doubt it. But if they had completed a market research analysis and found that a huge percentage of people who attended a DCI event (or bought something or subscribed to the Fan Network) were completely satisfied, why wouldn't they publicize that information? That seems like a marketing/PR goldmine.

I know it's a hard pill to swallow...that your sensibilities and the resulting actions might possibly not matter...but there it is. Deal with it, eh?

I think I've already agreed to deal with being a lone voice (if that's the case) about 20 times since this topic began. But thanks for the advice. I'll agree to do it again if it makes you happy.

I hope they pay no attention to a poll like that. I believe they did do some sort of fan survey after champs last season...maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I do seem to remember hearing something about it taking place, but I'd love to hear the results of that. Can anyone point us to the press release?

The audition pool skill levels would have to be equal for each corps for anything like that to have a remote chance of working.

Not necessarily. If judges were truly diverse and free to express some subjectivity (especially on the general effect), I think that would create a similar result.

And by diverse, I don't mean diverse in their qualification levels. I do want people who know about drum corps. But if a judge is judging general effect and "doesn't get it", he or she should feel no pressure to give the group a high score just because that's what is expected and/or that's what other judges have given them. At current, I don't think that freedom exists.

Edited by JulesBry

You absolutely should not attend shows if this is true...and infect those who are fans or are just becoming fans with a lousy attitude. You like what you like, and it just happens you don't like DCI drum corps. So be it.

Fans are attending shows from all the reports here on DCP from around the country...and certainly from the two shows I was able to see...both packed houses.

I try not to "infect" other audience members, but I do ask questions. And the answers I get are not as rosy as the ones you seem to get. Maybe I am infecting them. I should wear a mask if I ever go to another DCI show. :ph34r:

That being said, I used to like DCI drum corps. A lot. And I'm really sad about not liking them as much any more. So, I decided to share my feelings with people whom I thought might care. Quite a few did. Others wanted to chop my head off for daring to disagree. And that's okay. I knew this was a hornet's nest when I posted my letter (aka nest-stirrer). But as I've said before, I had to say it. I couldn't just silently walk away when I thought there was something I could do to raise awareness and perhaps make the situation better--even incrementally.

Do I think any of this will matter? No. Unfortunately, not. But in desperation, one tends to grasp at straws.

Not necessarily. If judges were truly diverse and free to express some subjectivity (especially on the general effect), I think that would create a similar result.

Are you saying that you do not want the best corps to score the highest? That judges should be free to evaluate the corps based on no set of standard criteria?

That is what it looks like, though I really doubt you mean that.

Unless the corps are first made up of members with equal skills, I don't see what you want happening.

And by diverse, I don't mean diverse in their qualification levels. I do want people who know about drum corps. But if a judge is judging general effect and "doesn't get it", he or she should feel no pressure to give the group a high score just because that's what is expected and/or that's what other judges have given them. At current, I don't think that freedom exists.

Oh, I think the freedom does exist...but the judges tend to see the corps all summer long, and speak to staffs at critique, so they do "get it".

I'm not quite sure what you are looking for here, actually.

Judges are not supposed to judge on what they personally like...they are supposed to evaluate the corps based on the criteria the corps have defined. That is no different in 2012 than it was in 1972.

I try not to "infect" other audience members, but I do ask questions. And the answers I get are not as rosy as the ones you seem to get. Maybe I am infecting them. I should wear a mask if I ever go to another DCI show. :ph34r:

That being said, I used to like DCI drum corps. A lot. And I'm really sad about not liking them as much any more. So, I decided to share my feelings with people whom I thought might care. Quite a few did. Others wanted to chop my head off for daring to disagree. And that's okay. I knew this was a hornet's nest when I posted my letter (aka nest-stirrer). But as I've said before, I had to say it. I couldn't just silently walk away when I thought there was something I could do to raise awareness and perhaps make the situation better--even incrementally.

Do I think any of this will matter? No. Unfortunately, not. But in desperation, one tends to grasp at straws.

I have no problem with you posting your letter or sending it to DCI...that is 100% your right. I just happen to disagree with the content of your letter, but that's OK.

I understand a couple of the points you made and why you made them, but I don't think that the activity is dead or on the downward spiral by any stretch. That being said, you do not speak for the majority.

I am sick and tired of DCP whiners. Those of you who whine and say you are leaving are the #### problem to begin with. Believe it or not, DCI is not gonna just fold because you decided to leave.

Are there opportunities to improve? Absolutely. However, coming on DCP and telling everyone you are walking away doesn't show wisdom, it shows cowardess. It is time for the OP and anyone else who will decide to pontificate there way out of the activity needs to start offering solutions, get engaged and volunteer their time, talents and strengths to the activty to invoke the change they feel is warranted.