General 2013 Audition Thread

General Question for everyone to weigh-in on

Which do you think I would regret more

1) Passing up the opportunity to try out for a top drum corps (Madison or BD) and marching there for a season (potentially medaling, etc)

2) Passing up the opportunity to age out with the (non-finalist) corps I've marched with for the past 3 seasons.

(I play baritone)

Obviously making one of the two corps I mentioned isn't a given, but I like to think I'd have a fairly good chance at either, thanks to the experience and knowledge gained from the corps I could be walking away from.

Id say go out for one of those top corps. Youll see at the auditions how the staff is and you can feel out if you like it. If you dont like it you can go back to your home corps. Finals is a great experience with a huge audience.

• Like 2

So I know that many of the posters on this forum are adults with children in DCI, or alumni of the activity (or both!) but there are some others, like me, who still have years of marching eligibility ahead of us, and I'd like to put together a resource for us to use when audition season comes around, and also provide a thread for general questions. What should we expect at our first weekend? Are you sending in videos - if so, what kind of software do people use, how do they structure their videos, and what kind of recording equipment is best? Where can I find the material I need to practice to audition? Which corps are looking for additional players, and in which sections? I know these questions are sometimes overwhelming for newcomers to the activity. Hopefully young adults like me, and parents who have accounts on DCP whose children are planning to audition, can pool our knowledge and help one another with whatever questions might come up.

Resources:

2013 Corps' Programs

Corps' Locations (Map)

DCI Parents' Guide

DCI.org Audition Resources

academy.jpg The Academy:

Corps Website

Audition Information

Application Form

Dates:

December 7-9, 2012 (All Sections)

Location TBD

Registration/move-in begins at 5:30pm, Orientation/Auditions begin at 7:30pm

Camp ends at 4:00pm Sunday, December 9

New Member Brochure

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

blue_devils.jpgBlue Devils:

Corps Website

Audition Information

Dates (Calendar):

December 1, 2, 8, 9 - Battery Auditions

November 17, 24, 25 ; December 8, 9 - Brass Auditions

November 24, 25 - Drum Major Auditions

December 1, 2 - Front Ensemble Auditions

November 23 - 25 - Color Guard Auditions

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

blueknights.jpgBlue Knights:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

bluestars.jpgBlue Stars:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

bluecoats.jpgBluecoats:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

boston.jpgBoston Crusaders:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

cadets.jpgThe Cadets:

Corps Website

Audition Information

Dates:

November 16-17-18 — Guard and Percussion Auditions at Woodstown High School in N.J

December 7-8-9 — Brass and Percussion Auditions

December 27-28-29-30 — Four-Day Camp for Brass and Percussion

Winter Schedule:

Brass: One camp in January and one the end of April.

Percussion: One camp in January and March, none in February.

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

crown.jpgCarolina Crown:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

seattle.jpgCascades:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

cavaliers.jpgThe Cavaliers:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

colts.jpgColts:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

crossmen.jpg Crossmen:

Corps Website

Audition Information

Dates:

Dallas eXperience Camp - November 16-18

Houston eXperience Camp - November 23-25

San Antonio eXperience Camp - November 30-December 2

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

glassmen.jpgGlassmen:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

jersey_surf.jpg Jersey Surf:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

madison.jpg Madison Scouts:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Repertoire:

"Night on Bald Mountain" - Modest Mussorgsky

"You'll Never Walk Alone" - Rogers and Hammerstein

Corps Staff and Contact

mandarins.jpg Mandarins:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

pacific_crest.jpg Pacific Crest:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

phantom.jpgPhantom Regiment:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

pioneer.jpg Pioneer:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

Brass

Color Guard

Percussion

Visual

vanguard.jpgSanta Clara Vanguard:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

spirit.jpgSpirit of Atlanta:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

troopers.jpg Troopers:

Corps Website

Audition Information

2013 Program

Corps Staff and Contact

(More to come)

So without further ado, I'm going to kick this thread off with a question that I'm considering as auditions approach:

This past year I began the audition process for the Madison Scouts, but had to quit before I even really got started due to an injury. The reason I auditioned for Madison was primarily that my former high school band director knew the staff there, and recommended I give it a shot. As I go into college next year (Go Northwestern Wildcats!) as a music major, I'm looking to other corps, as well. Not because I don't love Madison, but to stay as close to college/home as I can, to work with my ideal staff, etc . . .

So my question is this: I basically have an impossible time deciding which corps to audition for. I'm a huge fan of Santa Clara Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, the Cavaliers, Madison Scouts, and the Bluecoats. From Evanston, Illinois, driving times to Rockford, IL, and Rosemont, IL are under two hours. Madison is a slightly longer drive, Ohio longer still, and Santa Clara the longest yet. But, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to march with the corps that I end up picking. The hard part is the actual act of picking. I know that I would have an incredible and life-changing experience in ANY of these groups. So how do I pick?

I'm considering things like distance, cost, which staff members I would get to work with, but what else went into your decision, or your child's decision, to march in the corps they marched with? A tip my band director passed on was to try and find out what each corps' program is for the following season. Not that you want to pick a corps based only on the music they plan to play, but if the decision is close between two or more groups, having a strong connection with their program that year is obviously a great way to get yourself started in the activity. Madison Scouts have announced their show, but will we know what other corps intend to play before auditions begin? I'm guessing not.

For the record, I'm a percussionist. I don't know whether I would audition for snare or for the front ensemble (yeah, I clearly have none of this worked out - I haven't even picked an instrument yet), and that decision might hinge on whether I make it through physical therapy with enough strength to march. So give me whatever (preferably unbiased) advice you can! I hope this can kick off the thread on a good note, and that as time progresses this thread can be used as a resource for all the newbies, like me, who are looking for a corps to march next year.

Thanks so much! Let the discussion begin.

Don't forget Pioneer is relatively local for for you, as are the Kilties and defending DCA champion Minnesota Brass Inc.

Don't forget Pioneer is relatively local for for you, as are the Kilties and defending DCA champion Minnesota Brass Inc.

Thanks!

I'm continuing to review different websites as corps put out their dates and audition information. I'm not through everyone yet, as I'm having a really hard time getting the formatting on this thread to show up the way I want it to. It looks fine when I enter in the information, but then when I preview or submit the post, fonts change, font sizes change, spaces changes, spaces disappear . . . it's frustrating, to say the least. Bear with me while I get through the rest of these, and feel free to point out anything I've missed.

Thanks!

I'm continuing to review different websites as corps put out their dates and audition information. I'm not through everyone yet, as I'm having a really hard time getting the formatting on this thread to show up the way I want it to. It looks fine when I enter in the information, but then when I preview or submit the post, fonts change, font sizes change, spaces changes, spaces disappear . . . it's frustrating, to say the least. Bear with me while I get through the rest of these, and feel free to point out anything I've missed.

The wysiwyg editor is very deceptive. It lets you copy/paste html into a message and it renders it just fine -- UNTIL you save. Then it applie it's content filters and away goes your nice formatting :-\ Always hit preview before posting so you can see what the editor plans on doing. Even then problems with line spacing might appear only on the saved message.

Crown said they will have materials up around Labor Day

I have a few questions on Crown's Auditions:

1. Are they all 6 camps? Or just November/December? Or is it that they begin giving out contracts after December camps?

2. Is the registration fee JUST registration, or does does it count toward one camp? (As in if I wanted to go to the November camp, would it be $125 to register and $125 for camp, or just $125 for both and then just another $125 for each additional camp?)

---I think I just answered this one on their website, but I will leave it here just in case... I interpret from the site that its 125 for registration and 125 for camp)

EDIT: Adding one...

3. What generally happens the very first week of spring training?

Edited by Pat61

The wysiwyg editor is very deceptive. It lets you copy/paste html into a message and it renders it just fine -- UNTIL you save. Then it applie it's content filters and away goes your nice formatting :-\ Always hit preview before posting so you can see what the editor plans on doing. Even then problems with line spacing might appear only on the saved message.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, but I didn't think so. I may simply re-write the entire thread in Pages and then paste it all at once; continually changing one thing and then another is causing all sorts of problems to pop up.

Also, I had another question:

How do corps deal with students whose college/high school academic year ends after the summer move-in begins? If, for example, I attend a university whose year ends in late-May/early-June, but wish to participate in a corps whose move-in date in mid-May, what is the general policy? I see on the Blue Devils website that they work out individualized solutions, which is great, but is that the norm? How much would someone miss if they moved in two weeks late?

Lastly, is it expected that new members attend every winter session? Travel costs can be quite expensive if the corps you wish to audition to join - for whatever reason - is not close to home. (I'm thinking mainly of the corps out west, for students who live/study on the East Coast or the Midwest.)

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, but I didn't think so. I may simply re-write the entire thread in Pages and then paste it all at once; continually changing one thing and then another is causing all sorts of problems to pop up.

Also, I had another question:

How do corps deal with students whose college/high school academic year ends after the summer move-in begins? If, for example, I attend a university whose year ends in late-May/early-June, but wish to participate in a corps whose move-in date in mid-May, what is the general policy? I see on the Blue Devils website that they work out individualized solutions, which is great, but is that the norm? How much would someone miss if they moved in two weeks late?

Lastly, is it expected that new members attend every winter session? Travel costs can be quite expensive if the corps you wish to audition to join - for whatever reason - is not close to home. (I'm thinking mainly of the corps out west, for students who live/study on the East Coast or the Midwest.)

Bumped for answers. I have the same questions, especially the second one.

General Question for everyone to weigh-in on

Which do you think I would regret more

1) Passing up the opportunity to try out for a top drum corps (Madison or BD) and marching there for a season (potentially medaling, etc)

2) Passing up the opportunity to age out with the (non-finalist) corps I've marched with for the past 3 seasons.

(I play baritone)

Obviously making one of the two corps I mentioned isn't a given, but I like to think I'd have a fairly good chance at either, thanks to the experience and knowledge gained from the corps I could be walking away from.

I just aged out from a top 5 corps after marching a non-finalist corps for 4 years before that. I was like you, wondering if I'd regret not aging out with my drum corps family and missing the chance to have all of the perks of being a super vet and an age out like everyone before me. I did miss those things, but I don't regret it.

I had an amazing age out - the staff appreciated my experience, the members respected me and I felt like I fit in at my new corps rather than being the typical rook out. I think it was worth it to go to my dream corps and age out at such a high level. I won't lie - it's nice to perform to packed stadiums, when it's dark outside, and on that last Saturday night. I understand :tongue:

I did miss Corps A almost every day though. My friends and staff were supportive and encouraged me with my decision, but there were still days when I missed MY friends and MY staff and MY technique (to be dramatic about it ha). There were definitely times when I wanted to be there to help my corps improve and felt like I wasted my chance. Instead of taking an opportunity to be a leader at my old corps, I chose the performance aspect of drum corps.

A few things really made up my mind after auditions and when I was really deciding to go to Corps B:

-Two of my closest friends from Corps A marched there and I wanted to age out with them

-I loooved the show concept and music

-A lot of my staff at Corps A was taught by staff that now taught at Corps B, so I knew they'd be great (they were)

-I've always looked up to and respected and been a huge fan of Corps B

and lastly, to put it simply,

-I got a contract.

Now I try to persuade kids from Corps A to stay there and help it grow and appreciate the time they have, but I guess it's all talk since I ended up leaving. I made tons of pros and cons lists throughout the fall/winter, and now after having done it I'd add a couple of more to each side that I never thought about. I still love Corps A and when someone asks where I marched DCI, they'll always be the first one I mention. I thought about them everyday and will support them as a crazed alumni next year and every year after that. It's totally OK to love your two different experiences without having to feel bad about leaving the first one.

Just some things to consider! I'm sure that didn't help at all, but that's my two cents :smile:

• Like 1

Several kids at the Oregon Crusaders had the same question going into this past summer. They all banded together and decided to stay. Most of them could have made a finalist corps. However, they decided to be leaders of their corps that they all marched in together for at least 3 years or more. That bond and friendship helped OC take the next step to getting better and the leadership they provided was very important to the future of the Oregon Crusaders.

Also, winning is not the most important thing. Going to a top corps still does not mean you will win. My feelings are this. If you love the corps you marched with for the past few years there is a reason why you stayed there that long. 1 year at a top corps is great, but the life long friends you made already are just as important and will last way longer than being a rook out. But, you also have to follow your dreams and if your dream is to march at a top corps, then you should try out. You can always do the other. Making a pro and con list is hugely important in making a decision. You have about 3 months to figure it out and take the step that is best for you.

Other important questions.

finances, can you afford to go to all of the camps.......

will it interfer with school??????

How will affect your future?

Just think about it and the answer will come to you.