General 2013 Audition Thread

I just aged out from a top 5 corps after marching a non-finalist corps for 4 years before that. I was like you, wondering if I'd regret not aging out with my drum corps family and missing the chance to have all of the perks of being a super vet and an age out like everyone before me. I did miss those things, but I don't regret it.

I had an amazing age out - the staff appreciated my experience, the members respected me and I felt like I fit in at my new corps rather than being the typical rook out. I think it was worth it to go to my dream corps and age out at such a high level. I won't lie - it's nice to perform to packed stadiums, when it's dark outside, and on that last Saturday night. I understand :tongue:

I did miss Corps A almost every day though. My friends and staff were supportive and encouraged me with my decision, but there were still days when I missed MY friends and MY staff and MY technique (to be dramatic about it ha). There were definitely times when I wanted to be there to help my corps improve and felt like I wasted my chance. Instead of taking an opportunity to be a leader at my old corps, I chose the performance aspect of drum corps.

A few things really made up my mind after auditions and when I was really deciding to go to Corps B:

-Two of my closest friends from Corps A marched there and I wanted to age out with them

-I loooved the show concept and music

-A lot of my staff at Corps A was taught by staff that now taught at Corps B, so I knew they'd be great (they were)

-I've always looked up to and respected and been a huge fan of Corps B

and lastly, to put it simply,

-I got a contract.

Now I try to persuade kids from Corps A to stay there and help it grow and appreciate the time they have, but I guess it's all talk since I ended up leaving. I made tons of pros and cons lists throughout the fall/winter, and now after having done it I'd add a couple of more to each side that I never thought about. I still love Corps A and when someone asks where I marched DCI, they'll always be the first one I mention. I thought about them everyday and will support them as a crazed alumni next year and every year after that. It's totally OK to love your two different experiences without having to feel bad about leaving the first one.

Just some things to consider! I'm sure that didn't help at all, but that's my two cents :smile:

First, I just wanted to say: Awesome post!

Second, one of the things people can learn from this post is that your own experience is yours, and it deserves the same respect as those who choose to stay with a corps that might or might not advance in any given year. I know that when I now talk to recent age-outs who marched Troopers before going to another corps, the first thing I want them to know is this: "once a Trooper, ALWAYS a Trooper." It's not an easy ideal to live up to, and sometimes people fail to remember that ideal in the heat of the moment. But those moments eventually fade into the wider tapestry of life.

My personal philosophy is this: in any given season thousands of young people in dozens of corps spend countless hours working toward a goal with a group of people. They put on uniforms and they represent their corps - and in doing what they do every day they lay down some of the path that leads to that corps' future. It may be frustrating in the short term to see peers move on, but nobody can take away what they did for that one season of drum corps. They were a part of something, and it mattered.

(and I am honest enough to say that I didn't feel this way when I was 18-21 and watching people walk away from "my" corps to join a unit in the higher ranks of DCI.)

Edited by TerriTroop

Bumped for answers. I have the same questions, especially the second one.

yes, you are expected to be at the winter camps unless you have a school conflict. Winter camps are where they teach the foundation of the technique programs (musical and visual), check in on your fitness levels, and get comfortable with the staff. Not having enough money is not really an acceptable reason to miss camps.

I marched 4 years of a world class corps, and was on staff with one last year.

This year, I real life intervened, and I thought I would not be able to do drum corps. then, I got a call and ended up spending the last 3 weeks with an open class corps. It was the most rewarding season of drum corps thus far.

I would thoroughly encourage anyone to get involved. Especially if you are looking to first get involved in drum corps. You may find a home you never knew you had.

I certainly did.

I took 20 years off from drum corps for real life. LOL in 2008, I marched with the Cavaliers Alumni Corps and had a great time. I got the bug back to teach and volunteered with the Oregon Crusaders in 2009. Been there ever since and really enjoy the staff and the members. They may not be "WC". but they certainly work just as hard and put out a good product. The corps has grown s much in the last 4 ears, its fun being a part of it.

Auditioning can be one of those things that varies from year to year and one corps to the next. For example, if a corps didn't have many age-outs and is having a high retention rate it's going to be harder to get in. Contrarily, if they had many age-outs your odds might be better, but it also depends on how many people audition. Some corps draw a remarkable amount.