This year's gold and silver

'

A well designed "scatter" takes hours and hours to design correctly. You have dots on a page from A to B .. but path is something that has to be done on an individual basis. This can be done 2 ways.

1. "Members ... pick a path and stick with it consistently ... I'll change paths one at a time if I see something that isn't working"

With this method .. the drill designer or visual caption head has to take into account the actual flow of the movement, where focal points are, pacing might need to fluctuate and avoiding compressed clusters.

2. "I'm going to give every single one of you your exact path". Not fun .. and it's a full day of visual on just that one set.

Both methods work. Both require draining hours of repetition to get it right. End result .. a scatter isn't just a scatter. It's a detailed effect that takes a stupid amount of hours to coordinate and execute at a high level. Most great scatters have momentary focal points that showcase one performer or a group of performers. They will also generate velocity into the next set (which is usually a hit). Some great scatters to resolution .... wow ... 88 Garfield was stupid good. 90 Cadets in the closer, various spots of the 91 cadets offering.... And a very healthy chunk of what BD did this year. Suncoast also did some awesome scatters in 88 and 89 .... funny, 4 of my examples are Marc Sylvester creations.

When we were learning our 1971 "America, the Brave' show, Bobby Hoffman tried option 1 in a spot to get the corps to move from point A to point B in a free-form manner at the start of our battle sequence. Sadly, us members were just so rigidly structured in how we learned drill that it was impossible! He ended up doing option 2, which took a lot longer to learn, and created much stress...I think he lost quite a few hairs from his afro! :tongue:

Actually, .4 can be done in GE alone on each subcaption .. they are not divided.

No, GE is also divided. There are 4 GE judges: 20, 20, 20, 20, worth a total of 40 points. Remember they added the double panels now!

But yes, it can take .4 away, if every judge had them .2, .2, .2, .2 down.

My point stands about .1 from every judge would not be worth 1.00. :)