Celebrate Arts Parade Finale

Was wondering how many people went to the parade Saturday morning for finals weekend? Did you stay for the mass corps finale??

What did you think of it???

Also, if you did attend...........did you take any photos that you could post? I have been searching online and have yet to find any.

I have dozens. When I get home next week I'll post a link to them.

It was good fun, nice to stand in a few arcs before it started.

The finale on the steps was loud but a bit to short.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB
  • Like 1

They did SUCH a better job of organizing the corps this year than last for the mass finale. The look when they all raised their horns to play was astounding!

Much better presentation than 2011. Sound projected much better. Easier for more people to see and hear everything going on with the kids up on the memorial building instead of filling the field below.

Just a pity that after standing there that long, a minute and a half of Simple Gifts was all we got. Seems like alot of work by alot of people for such a short performance in my humble opinion.

Next year, GIVE US MORE!!!

I loved the parade itself but will agree that the gathering at the end was too short, especially since they told us at semi's that we would hear "Simple Gifts," "America the Beautiful," and "The Star Spangled Banner." I would add we also should have heard "O Canada" played by Blue Saints and Les Stentor. I also expected we'd have some impromptu moments from eth corps, but I'm sure at that point, everyone was worn out not to mention some corps were heading home just as the parade ended. However, what I really enjoyed was the camaraderie between the corps at the beginning and end, how many members of one corps went to say good bye to members of other corps and told them they'd see them next year. The parade was a total feel good event.

Hi,

>>Was wondering how many people went to the parade Saturday morning for finals weekend? Did you stay for the mass corps finale??

I went to the parade and stayed for the mass brass. Overall I liked the parade.

It would be nice to have the top 12 corps marching but that cannot happen on Saturday. The mass brass was awesome but to short. It took way longer to get set up than to play. We needed more.

>>Also, if you did attend...........did you take any photos that you could post? I have been searching online and have yet to find any.

I have pictures that I can upload this weekend and I will post a link then.

Glenn

The 11:15AM megabus arrived in Indy 15 minutes early from Chicago on Finals Saturday, so I was able to see the entire parade, which started just a few blocks north of the Washington Street jail.

The Oregon Crusaders led, carrying both a Celebrate Indy Arts banner and their own. The parade was fast-paced. I do not do crowd estimates, but my guess is 800. Dan Potter announced the corps in the first block. It's a very short parade! My guess is 3 blocks south, then 1 block west, then 3 blocks north. Blue Devils B. Music City. Combined Colts and Colt Cadets. Troopers. The Academy. Glassmen. Etc Etc. Some fans thundersticked their appreciation to the passing Jersey Surf.

The Open Class corps looked big up close and personal. A smattering of Indy Arts organizations also marched between corps. One entry was a dozen weiner dogs. Adorable! There was a BOA truck/float. Sadly, no fez-wearing Shriners in tiny cars. Blue Stars was the last corps to march.

After the short parade, there was plenty of high-fiving, picture-taking, and congrats between corps members.

My favorite part of the morning was when the corps gathered on the north steps of the World War Memorial. One at a time, the corps would file through the lawn crowd to the concert site to genuine thanks-for-your-hard-work applause. Classy.

Once the corps gathered, the front line musicians started a wave. But the first attempt stopped at Pioneer. Later waves picked up momentum, and a few slow motion ones drew loud cheers.

When it was en masse time, I was creeped out by some of the musicians standing on the walls - instead of steps or landings. A few Academy horns were dangerously perched.

"Simple Gifts".

Then everyone sped to lunch.

Hi,

>>Was wondering how many people went to the parade Saturday morning for finals weekend? Did you stay for the mass corps finale??

I went to the parade and stayed for the mass brass. Overall I liked the parade.

It would be nice to have the top 12 corps marching but that cannot happen on Saturday. The mass brass was awesome but to short. It took way longer to get set up than to play. We needed more.

>>Also, if you did attend...........did you take any photos that you could post? I have been searching online and have yet to find any.

I have pictures that I can upload this weekend and I will post a link then.

Glenn

Thanks. I would love to see them!