Bluecoats marching technique

I just found it visually unappealing, but I hope they continue it and make it their style. I also hope SCV ditches the bicycle step and goes back to marching like the badasses I remember them being. I hope the Blue Knights go back to the bicycle + prep-step. I hated that too, but it was uniquely them. I'd like to see the Scouts bicycle-stepping again like they did in the 90s. I hope the Cadets keep the bouncy straight-leg and silly elbow lead too. All-in-all, I'd like to see some attempts at having some sort of visual identity coming out of these corps, instead of trying to all march the same way.

• Like 1

Some benefits I see:

- the articulation of the beat occurs on the same part of the foot with every step

- the legs have a consistent look traveling both forward backward, and one that should appear more lifted/extended

- it would be difficult to perform with your weight anywhere else but centered

- fewer female hip injuries because of how the leg is accepting the weight

- less feet in the sound

- it gave them a new look that separated them from other corps

- transitions more fluidly to dance choreography

It fits, too, with the current trends in running and physical therapy research; the Vibram FiveFingers and other barefoot sport shoes, for instance, that encourage a platform running style. That said, I'm sure it has its disadvantages as well, but I applaud their decision to try something new.

Thank you. I rarely opine. Bluecoats looked poised and mature from my laptop while watching FN and I wondered why. It's been 35 years since I aged out with heel-roll-close-to-the-ground-slow technique. The high mark time had jostled the horn lines flow of sound (my knees are ok by the way :) Bluecoats 2012 technique enhanced their wonderful sound and allowed their drum line to focus while moving at a crazy speed. What a delight to watch and listen to Bluecoats 2012!

• Like 1

As someone with some insight on this from members, they realized the less feet in the sound with this, it was easier to look more uniform performer to performer because lets face it, those of us that marched heel first straight leg technique (BD, Ccadets, Colts, Academy and many more) know that it is extremely difficult to get everyone on the same page with that because it is less natural to do than a toe first technique. There's also that strange place in the technique where heel first is too small for the step size but jazz running is too big. The toe first made it easier to do all the step sizes without having to go to that weird place (4.5 to 5-6 to 5). I think it's cool and agree that it gives them a visual identity now which I feel Bloo lacked even when I was there.

Just FYI, I heard that the call to march the whole show toe-down came about 2 weeks into move-ins. I'm excited to see how the corps fairs next season when they have the winter camps to refine and teach the new members the toe-down technique. I imagine your calves start to burn after a while... ouch.

Just FYI, I heard that the call to march the whole show toe-down came about 2 weeks into move-ins. I'm excited to see how the corps fairs next season when they have the winter camps to refine and teach the new members the toe-down technique. I imagine your calves start to burn after a while... ouch.

That is true, they didn't decide the technique they were using for the season until 2 weeks into move-ins.

I'd like to add that following this group throughout the season and watching them develop while watching videos, going to several shows, rehearsals, etc... this may have been the most visually polished Bluecoats corps in their history. I really really hope they can keep this drill writer because this show was a joy to watch. Great guard integration, awesome transitions, smooth flow, beautiful staging and just an all around visually appealing show (these arent words I usually use to describe a Bloo show...remember last year? yikes). Kudos to the "new" staff for integrating that new technique and making the corps look so mature, not just from the field but from up top as well. While the 2010 corps was obviously on top of its game visually and the drill design was stellar, I'd like to see the new direction the corps takes visually and maybe improving on a caption that has been traditionally their weak point, both performance and design wise. In my opinion, while we may all love the hornlines and drumlines, this is a visual activity and that's what wins championships. When was the last time you saw a 4th-6th place corps win a visual title? (like you see sometimes with high drums or high brass going to corps in that range)

For what it's worth, we spent a lot of time working on this kind of technique at Garfield in '87. It was only used in certian parts of the show, most notably the dissolving company front. I think Bluecoats did a great job with it this year.

...because lets face it, those of us that marched heel first straight leg technique know that it is extremely difficult to get everyone on the same page with that because it is less natural to do than a toe first technique

You say "let's face it" as though it is universally acknowledged that it's easier/more natural to move toe-first. Is there any kind of evidence to support this? Why don't people (other than runway models in high heels) walk around toe-first during the course of their daily activities? Not trying to stir the pot, but to me it looked awkward and distracting.

Peace,

Fred O.