How can corps survive today?

Corps used to have macho NFL/NBA/sports-sounding names. How many kids want to identify with some of those PC warm/fuzzy monikers that today's units hang on themselves?

First thought that went thru my head was the "White Roses" of York, PA..... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

First thought that went thru my head was the "White Roses" of York, PA..... :rolleyes:

the Audubon Bon-Bons.. :smile:

horn_line.jpg

Edited by Kevin Powell

Holy Name Cadets first...then Garfield Cadets, then Cadets of Garfield for one year in 1971, then back to Garfield Cadets, then Cadets of Bergen County, then The Cadets, then Holy Name Cadets (2009 only), and back to The Cadets. The 2009 change was in honor of the 75th anniversary of the founding of the corps in 1934 by the Holy Name Church...and part of the successful effort to reconnect to the church a bit. The corps does a ceremony there just prior to the start of the season now.

History shows that most of the Catholic parish corps wound up being hurt by their host churches. (So much for the "Milk of Human Kindness", huh?) Maybe they

In mid-season 1958, the Pillars Of The Church in this "Holy Name" parish decided to grab all the corps instruments and uniforms. The corps still went to AL Nationals in Chicago with makeshift uniforms, borrowing other corps' instruments, and finishing well with their deserved new slogan "The Corps That Would not Die".

After that experience, this "effort to reconnect to the church" stuff sounds like a classic case of the abused child reaching out to the abusive parent.

That is wrong for several reasons.

Not all corps (not even all world class corps) tour as much as the ones listed above. For a true average, you need numbers for Mandarins, Jersey Surf, Pioneer, and so on.

Some of these 990s include other costs besides just the operating cost of the listed corps. In some cases, the organization is running other youth programs, perhaps even two or three drum corps, or a marching band circuit, or WGI ensembles. Also, one org might include both the full cost and income of fundraising ventures like bingo in the respective categories of their 990, while another org might just list one number for the net profit or loss of the bingo operation in the relevant column of the 990.

agreed. I was generalizing and just thinking top twelve with the numbers presented.

I also have complete understanding of the other expenses that I briefed over in the post before. Ex. BD and why they should have a much higher number - I strayed away from other expenses for conversation sake and the sake of typing on a phone.

Edited by Kevin Powell

the Bon Bons.. :smile:

LOL, at least the Bon Bons were all female.....

• Like 1

...or the Lucky Ladies and Bon bons of the all-girl set.

...or that real macho-sounding corps, the Broadcasters from Newton NJ.

...not to mention Fantasia III

...my first corps...the Livingston NJ Hilltoppers

...lots of others! :tongue:

Lamplighters

J's (yes, corpsreps shows a corps named J's) :smile:

Shoreliners

Riversiders...they sound so bucolic!

a couple of Stardusters

the Toppers

I'm not sure I want to know what the Flashing Lassies were all about! :w00t:

• Like 1

I'm not sure I want to know what the Flashing Lassies were all about! :w00t:

LMAO....

And the White Roses did merge with the Choclatiers for 2 years in the 70s.....

Yeah... guess what Central PA town the Choclatiers were from....

Wierd part is both corps orginally formed in the 1920.....

Everyone knew the White Roses were a youth-based anti-Nazi resistance organization in WWII Germany, where a few heroic college youth did what they could against the Hitler tyranny before they were captured, tortured and executed, and this corps took their name in their honor. Elsewhere in America, similar European heroes were remembered by naming places/things for Lidice, Guernica, Normandie and others.

You don't owe me an apology. I suggest you attempt to learn the history of the heroic White Roses - who had more sheer guts than I, admittedly, or you, I suspect, ever would - and then post your reactions to what you've learned about them here.

Everyone knew the White Roses were a youth-based anti-Nazi resistance organization in WWII Germany, where a few heroic college youth did what they could against the Hitler tyranny before they were captured, tortured and executed, and this corps took their name in their honor. Elsewhere in America, similar European heroes were remembered by naming places/things for Lidice, Guernica, Normandie and others.

You don't owe me an apology. I suggest you attempt to learn the history of the heroic White Roses - who had more sheer guts than I, admittedly, or you, I suspect, ever would - and then post your reactions to what you've learned about them here.

As a history buff I'll look this up when I have spare time.... probably after I retire (not meant as sarcastic, I have a list of retirment things to check)....

Seriously, York, PA is known as the White Rose city and nearby Lancaster is the Red Rose city. Not sure how we got the 'War of The Roses' moved to our side of the pond.