25 years later

I think that the tendency towards "chop and bop" is an inevitable consequence of the way judging works, wherein variety of achievement is emphasized over coherent development of a single idea or demonstration of sustained ability in a few areas.

I agree with your "chop and bop" "Why" being the judging. My problem is that they are taking an already realized single ideas from great artist and bastardizing the ideas into the latest greatest drum corps "remix". I liked keeping the song structures and shortening them to fit. Ideas seemed clearer than many of today's twitter feed remix shows. That is just me.

It worked for the BD show because the "Collage" of ideas is inherently a dada ideal. But, I am just not a fan of the "chop and bop" remix. I guess that is also reason I have not bought CDs or recordings since the mid 90s.

I have heard many people say that. I think I had the same opinion at the time.

But I also remember witnessing the corps knock down the stadium in Whitewater as they barraged through their opening set, turning to the person sitting next to me before the show had passed the 30 second mark, and stating, "That's everything I want from drum corps."

Yes, I'll agree that was everything I wanted from drum corps...in 1989. Everything I want from drum corps in 2013 was fairly well summed up by many of the top corps of 2012.

Heh,

I loved SCV '89 live at Centerville during the hit you're talking about! thumbup.gif

Of course, the solos were performed better in Centerville then at finals and the holes weren't in the show at Centerville that were there at finals due to the two overage British members who were found out.

I also loved the All female guard and the masks in the '89 show.

I really loved SCV '89 live, but in hindsight, I believe that '88 was the better design. The coed guard was great, the solos were spot on. No holes at finals.

Also, the music was beautiful and emotional at points and aggressive at other points.

Obviously, they were both great shows ( 2nd and 1st place).

That was big part of what made 89 better than 88.

For YOU. smile.gif

'89 was more aggressive, less finesse, control, and nuance. The aggression was certainly heard in the solos for '89 during finals. Man, that just diminished the show so much for me effect wise. Plus the holes took away from the flow for me.

Oh well... Not trying to be so contrary, sorry!

Either way, that show wouldn't work today.

absolutely correct. We were being told about the massive undertaking of the 1992 show even while the 1991 show was being put on the field. We wore white uniforms in 1991 just so the traditional red would pop again in 1991.

Then as 1992 progressed more and more things were either taken out or abandonded before they even got started. There were a lot of contributing negative factors. The staff was fighting bitterly ALL summer. Gale was sick and not able to keep control of things like he had done so well for 24 years prior. I can't speak for the horns and gaurd, but we in the drumline were very good, but we had terrible attitudes. Just look through that line and count the number of future caption heads that were there. It was rediculous. But, in the end, it was also somewhat of a fiasco. Luckily, there was enough inherent talent in the staff and in the corps that Fiddler mostly worked OK. But, it was not even close to what it was supposed to be.

I fear that a tribute show (of sorts) would turn in to a re-mix instead. And re-mixes rarely retain the right spirit.

more inside info please... I've been a staunch SCV fan since I first saw them in 83. In 92 I was living in Sacramento and got to see them at the BD/SCV preview and two early west coast shows (Sacramento & BD home show). When I saw the guard in those exquisite, simple, long black dresses, dancing with the menorahs I remember thinking "Yeah, there's something special happening here." I then didn't see them until finals in Madison and was shocked at what the show had become. It was my biggest WTF moment since Vanguard lost to Madison in 88.

Slightly off topic - my all time favorite show (of any corps) was Martha. Would love to hear any inside thoughts on that season.

New music vs. old music...

There are many modern composers who write brand new music every day for orchestras, wind ensembles, jazz bands, string quartets etc.

Not to mention some of the amazing work that's done on television and film scores.

Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and other pop stars aren't the only new sources of music. Just saying.

Edit: On topic, I always find it interesting how new talent interprets a classic piece, whether it's a piece of music or an entire play/film. Christopher Nolan's Batman films, West Side Story (the musical), Metallica's S&M, all of these exist due to revisiting and reinterpreting classic material.

Edited by C4T

and there is century upon century of old music that has never been explored. Just Saying.

• Like 1

Blending new and old, should they perform Fiedler On The Roof? :-)