25 years later

New music vs. old music...

There are many modern composers who write brand new music every day for orchestras, wind ensembles, jazz bands, string quartets etc.

Not to mention some of the amazing work that's done on television and film scores.

Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga and other pop stars aren't the only new sources of music. Just saying.

I realize this, of course, but in the face of the sweeping statement "new music is best music" it was pretty easy to find a pin for that balloon.

I like the new and old. I do think the corps need to stop redoing. (old or new). Just knowing the expanse of music just on my 160gb iPod or even better a field trip of research at a college music library.

I like really old for one good reason... copyright.

• Like 1

Repeat performances are almost never as good as the original time they did it.

Don't tell 08 Phantom (Regiment).

On a completely different thought, did everyone know Andrew Lloyd Webber did a sequel to Phantom, called Love Never Dies?

Now that would be funny.

Edited by acolli17

I dunno.

You may very well be right, but there was nothing disappointing to me about Phantom's '08 Spartacus.

Hmmm... but... PR did not play all Spartacus music as they had in 1981 and 1982.

I don't expect that SCV would bring out the old chart and play them either. At least, I hope they would not.

Good point but how would one do Phantom of the Opera with other non-POTO music?

Creative ways perhaps but I'd rather not have that explored.

On another note... Northern Thunder (Brian T) posted this past years SCV hornline at the Texas Bandmasters performing the Ballad from our SCV 1989 POTO - "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again". Exact same arrangement. I'd encourage all to find it, give it a listen, and continue with thoughts and responses to the OP question.

On another note... Northern Thunder (Brian T) posted this past years SCV hornline at the Texas Bandmasters performing the Ballad from our SCV 1989 POTO - "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again". Exact same arrangement. I'd encourage all to find it, give it a listen, and continue with thoughts and responses to the OP question.

And they've done Music of the Night multiple times as an encore tune, the exact same arrangement as the '89 show. I think 2009 was the last time they did MOTN, besides in this year's show

Don't tell 08 Phantom (Regiment).

On a completely different thought, did everyone know Andrew Lloyd Webber did a sequel to Phantom, called Love Never Dies?

Now that would be funny.

I'm actually surprised no one has tried any of the music from the Phantom of the Opera sequel. I mean, it's nowhere near as strong as the original, but I've seen corps do more with less for source material