DCA Aug.25: Reading and Bridgeport

They don't have to , they choose to

Late 1990s, I noticed that the Empire Statesmen used that "pit box" area quite a bit, in terms of horns and drums passing through the area (in front of the corps' pit, which was set up on the field, just outside the "box.")

I asked Vince Bruni about it. He said, "They're basically giving us a free five yards extra to get up closer to the audience. Why not use it?" I agree.

Edited by Fran Haring

Strutta's right, though... if you're going to use that area, be prepared to pay the price in penalties if you mess up!

Edited by Fran Haring

The whole boundary thing has never changed. Even with the "traditional" front sideline, what do you do if the form is mispositioned? Take a visual hit and stay in bounds or take the penalty and correct the form? I was at the Hurc's show and watched KS go into the pit. I didn't see any pit boundary marking, though there might have been one. My first thought was "I hope they don't get hit with a Renegade." When I saw the penalty listed, I figured it had to be the boundary. Easily fixed. BTW, that KS show is solid.

The whole boundary thing has never changed. Even with the "traditional" front sideline, what do you do if the form is mispositioned? Take a visual hit and stay in bounds or take the penalty and correct the form? I was at the Hurc's show and watched KS go into the pit. I didn't see any pit boundary marking, though there might have been one. My first thought was "I hope they don't get hit with a Renegade." When I saw the penalty listed, I figured it had to be the boundary. Easily fixed. BTW, that KS show is solid.

Good question. Any negative from flattening a form to keep it in bounds would be FAR less than the 1 point penalty.

After thinking on it a bit, there's more to it that penalty vs. visual. If the next form or transition relies on the positioning of the members caught in the squeeze, it could get ugly. I noticed that KS had no penalty on Sunday, so it probably worked itself out quick enough. Hope to see most everyone in Annapolis!

After thinking on it a bit, there's more to it that penalty vs. visual. If the next form or transition relies on the positioning of the members caught in the squeeze, it could get ugly. I noticed that KS had no penalty on Sunday, so it probably worked itself out quick enough. Hope to see most everyone in Annapolis!

I was watching from the side and it looked like their entire corps (or at least the brass) were in a "company front" in front of the pit by a couple of steps at the finsh of their show ...

Edited by ajlisko