Bridgeport line-up?

Because I'm not going to Annapolis and I wanted to see the Scouts I made the trek to Bridgeport. What I saw was two top flight corps and several Class A type units. The show in Reading featured only three solid Open class corps.

The crowd in Bridgeport was sparse. I don't know about attendance in Reading but my point is this; does DCA really hope to satisfy and expand a shrinking fan base by scheduling lineups with a limited ability to wow a crowd for an entire evening? Maybe the time has come to run one show at a time and stock them with 4, 5, or 6 corps that will give Joe average fan their money's worth. Attendance seems to have dwindled to only the hard core loyal fans. The large crowd at the Barnum Festival supports the argument....if there is one.

Why was C2 and the Statesmen sitting home? Aren't they part of the circuit?

I know DCA won't respond so does anyone else have a thought on this?

• Like 1

Why was C2 and the Statesmen sitting home? Aren't they part of the circuit?

I know DCA won't respond so does anyone else have a thought on this?

I believe travel expenses were at the root of both these corps decisions to stay home . Empire performed Saturday night in Webster NY and C2 competed the next day in NJ.

With a very expensive weekend coming up in Annapolis Im sure both organizations were being fiscally responsible by staying close to home this past weekend. I believe C2 was originally penciled in for CT , Not Reading.

Jay

• Like 1

Attendance at Reading as quite good. The parking lot filled, people including myself had to park in spaces we could scrounge in the adjoining resedential neighboorhoods.

Scranton and Downingtown were also well attended.

I have no idea why or why not some of the venues outside PA aren't drawing.

And it's not just old fogies at the shows down here.

Maybe part of it is that Downingtown and Reading also have a HS Band co-sponsoring, which helps to draw some younger people and their parents.

The Reading Alumni, some older, etc. also come out in force in PA as do many of the corps members' family and friends.

Another thing I've thought about regarding Big Sounds is that it's given several Class A corps over the past few years a really good venue and a really large and appreciative crowd for them to perform in front of. I would think for Shenendoah Sound, Carolina Gold, and White Sabres, the fact the Bucs bring them to their shows is MUCH appreciated and that those two contests are the big ones for their seasons short of Championships because of the crowds. In that way, it's been a GREAT contest for groups that usually get shoved in the back of the train as it were.

By all accounts Barnum and Lynn have good turnouts. the Cabs shows I would think are well attaneded I would think it's up to the show promoters to provide a good venue, etc. Maybe alumni from some of the corps in those areas where attendance is down aren't coming out in force nor are the families of corps members. I don't know the answer. All i can tell you is that it's not all doom and gloom in DCA regarding attendance at shows, and I frankly try hard to make sure people are VERY aware that things aren't bad all over.

• Like 1

My post is representative of comments heard during the program. My concern could be even more directed at DCA. The Hurricanes have been a show sponsor consecutively for over fifty years why wouldn't DCA make certain that another top five corps appear to help the sponsor with a draw. Take the Hurricanes out for the moment and DCA would have had no top five corps in that show. Thank goodness that the Scouts were there but can you imanige what the show would have been like if Cadet 2 and Empire were there. Fans come to expect a fare representation of DCA members when making their choice to attend a show or not. The show sponsor deserves better from DCA. Totally respect the expense side of things as earlier mentioned, but didn't Empire take three busses and a performing group to the DCI's? Wouldn't it have been better to support a DCA sponsor instead? I doubt that this would happen in Scranton.

Why should a NE corps have to come down or west to a contest when there are already well attended and established shows in place for them to attend? The network is there.

DCA units in the South and Midwest are at a disadvantage, but if they wish to overcome it, they must establish their own infrastructure to deal with it instead of whinging. MBI and the Govies have proven that it can be dealt with. I don't hear them complaining. BOTH defending DCA champions are from outside the NE/traditional all-age historical region.

The solution?

Maybe one solution is to have more corps in those regions so there are closer shows to attend or shows that at least have more corps in them. There are obviously problems. Evidently, WGI has a higher priority in some areas for membership. It knocked Alliance out of the picture. That's one issue we don't seem to have up this way. Problems will have to be addressed, solved, and dealt with by the people in that region.

Making Reading/Cabs/Fusion/younameit to come to Atlanta for a show won't solve one blessed thing. Does anyone think that a DCA South show's attendace would increase noticeably with them there? Would locals care?

Maybe it's callous- but the Midwest has seemed to have solved the major issues and have some success. The South needs to do the same if they want to be a viable factor in the mix. Whinging won't solve things. Positive action will.

• Like 1

Keep this dialogue going and see it through the eyes of the paying customer.

The WOW is what keeps you coming back.

Without the wow, we can appreciate effort all day....but just for the day...and look for other WOW options the same week next year.

WOW separates you from your money.

OK works if its your kid or free.

The Cabs and Bridgemen alums are WOW corps; So are the Mini-Corps (staged properly); perhaps a couple of underutilized resources.

• Like 1

Unless there has been a major change the Bridgemen don't take on weekend gigs the way that Cabs Alumni does. They wow the audience, that's for sure. So get your contracts out to them early and book them now!

:tongue:

• Like 1

Hmm. Someone made a comment about smaller corps having a limited ability to "wow a crowd"?

Seen Fusion Core this year?

Seen Carolina Gold?

There was sufficient wow there out of those two corps. They do a great job.

There were some new people who went to Big Sounds and seemed pretty "wowed" by the show. They talked to me afterwards. I told them I was sure DCA thanked them for coming.

Only three open corps were there. There's more to the equation.

I can remember certain corps being "univited" from Hurcs shows in the past by the Hurcs themselves. I find this rather ironic that it's come to this now. :devil: