DCI '88

But I will reiterate what I've said may times before: SCV '88's "Music of the Night" was my favorite closer of all time. It still makes my scalp tingle to this day!

Although it's probably not my favorite (that would be SCV 2000), it was really something. Imagine hearing that, at full volume, about ten feet from your head. It was really something!

As they say: "To the victors go the spoils!" If I were in your place at that moment, I'd still be there, having spontaneously combusted and melted permanently into the Astro Turf!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.....that's one of the only things I remember about that night after SCV was announced in 2nd...the rest is still a blur. I only remember SCV leaving the field, I remember singing Never Walk (to the crowd), but don't remember marching the encore. I don't remember leaving the field. I remember the celebration tho.

Interesting note - I heard that our guard staff had most of the flags removed from the poles (out in the parking lot) and had to put them all back on for the encore!

Madison 88 was the first DCI corps i saw live when they toured the UK.

I have good memories of watching their show and also the thrill of joining in and playing "you'll never walk alone" along side the Scouts in the stand.

Do you remember that Gellio ?

From '88 to '89, SCV got new drums and were more featured. '88 had no percussion feature to speak of, but the parts you could make out weren't bad at all, especially that mezzo-piano roll in the opener as they marched single file.

1988: SCV tenors play a little bit of Masquerede in the inimitable Hardimon melodic style!

I knew I had that one right because, in 89 the running joke was that if they (DCI) di that again that "the black man" couldn't pull the number. Ellis Carter (a black guy) was the DM in 88 along with Darren Bassard (a white guy). Ellis pulled 12, so I was not going to be allowed to pull anything.

OK, Bill, here's how it went down. I was hanging over the railing watching the draw with mucho anticipation...Darren reached for a card...JACK BEVINS stopped him! (I KNEW we were cursed at that moment...) and pointed to the card he (Jack) favored...bless him, he was just playing around...and Darren obediantly drew number ONE...meaning you're on first, suckers! ...ah, Jack. Heh. <**> cg

• 2 years later...
I remember that year the nice bond we had with the Scouts, like when we did you'll never walk alone with them in that fieldhouse in Seiverville, TN because the weather was so bad. Folks got a real treat that night.

Man, I was at that show and I missed it?!?! Was that in lieu of a retreat? I remember a rain delay after the Freelancers and when the show resumed with the Crossmen, the crowd and the corps were hyped for the rest of the night!

Edited by Chris McDowell

For once, I agree, Madison should've won and nobody got ripped off. I watch the DVD (it's one of my favorites). Of course I used to think that SCV should've won but if you're going by pure emotion, yeah they maybe should've won but I can see WHY Madison won. They had the total package. A great drill, great horn line, superb color guard, wow..what a drum line and the show was just incredible.

SCV had a great everything but there were some marching things I saw that probably held them back from winning (I'm just guessing without looking at recaps) based on what I saw.

Blue Devils, one of my favorite shows of all Blue Devils history but, I just say I wouldn't want to be a judge that night! b**bs All corps were incredible. I might've had a three way tied and ###### some folks off! :P

But there is no conspiracy theory here (to me) anyway, I used to be an advocate for 88 SCV, but when I go back and watch 88 Madison, it's understandable why they won.

The "draw" (I don't think) affected the placement. But that's just me...:)

But I think the best overall year for every corps in the top twelve was probably 1994. :)

My favorite memory of '88 is VK playing Zorba.

I listen to that clip, close my eyes and see Anthony Quinn dancing.

Simply amazing moment that highlights a very good year in DCI.

As far as strongest years go, '80 and '89 top to bottom are two of the best.

I think Madison had one of those truly magical shows in 1988. I do also think that their prelim performance was much better than their finals show. Their visual package was outstanding that year. BD had the musical book for sure. I think where they lacked was in their visual performance. SCV was absolutely amazing and especially the night of finals. What a show. I think the scores could have gone anyway between these three corps that night. The fact that the prelim scores were not announced I think gave Madison the edge going into finals night. I was truly shocked by the results. Happy for the Scouts. Lets face it, this was an exciting night and a great year for drum corps. Conspiracy? I hardly think so, a surprise to even some of the judges and DCI mucky-mucks, yeah I think so. It certainly made for an interesting off-season of discussion thats for sure.

Yeah, we had quite a bond with the Scouts that year, got to meet many of them. Playing our shows together in Sevierville (as you've already reminisced) and at least one joint run of "You'll Never Walk Alone" in parking lot after a show (forget which one), and last but not least our SHARED free day in New Orleans!

I think these are some of my favorite moments in drum corps. When the corps actually had a chance to get to know each other off the field and spend time together. I have had the opportunity to do this with different corps over the years and the members always rave about that. After the season is done and over with, these are the memories that stick with you for a life time.