DCI '88

1988 was my 5th year teaching SCV.

After the 1987 season, many folks aged out or did not choose to march again. Our hornline had a large number of rookies, and it was a tough year - especially after the brass line we had fielded in 87. The show was strong, but we had to work the performers very hard to try and mold them into the corps we knew they had to be.

At DCI Finals in Arrowhead Stadium, it happened.

Watching from the staff viewing area at the top of the stands, we were shocked, amazed and extremely hyped when our corps came out and did the show of their lives. The magic in the air was amazing. In my many years of drum corps, I have almost never seen a group catch fire that way. And Phantom of the Opera was he perfect vehicle for them.

When BD was announced in third place that night, I remember Myron turning to me and saying, "Madison beat the Blue Devils tonight!"

Little did we know that they had beaten us as well.

Thanks for sharing that memory Chris. 1988 SCV remains the greatest performance that I have ever seen in drum corps. I believe they even captured a lot of that on the video.

Carlito

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say that was an anomoly since on the 10th VK was 3 points behind Madison and on the 13th VK was 4.3 behind Madison. I'm curious to know what happened at the show on the 12th that had VK only 1.4 behind madison

The judging at the Witchita Falls show was weird. And it was freaking hotter than blazes. Maybe a few judges brain cells were overcooked that day? :beer: