DCI '88

I still think BD should have won it all. That show was flawless.

I didn't like the random draw that year - although I think that it kept us above Phantom (as they went on so much earlier than we did). Phantom really nailed their show at finals.

Later,

Mike

Cavaliers '88-'89

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THe Scouts should have won that show and they did. Devils were not on, and lacked the visual show that Madison and SCV had. Coloring a non visual show gray sure didn't help matters. Watch the video and listen to the show. The right corps won that night.

RF

I disagree, and I also disagree regarding view of the BD visual show and their coloring of the show. First off, BD brass alone provided more color than any corps that night. As far as actual GE ? The use of color by the guard, the staging of the colors used, the impact of colors, use din tandem with the musical highlights were unmatched and blew the Scouts away. Again its a case of BD being so perfect, so smooth, it "apeared" to be easy, but as far as drill design goes, none that night was better at taking the music and offering it to the audience with visual accompaniment.

No drill offered better staging, better transitions, and greater impact that night the the Blue Devils.

Too bad they never get the credit they deserve for this show, its one of the best of all time.

~G~

I disagree, and I also disagree regarding view of the BD visual show and their coloring of the show. First off, BD brass alone provided more color than any corps that night. As far as actual GE ? The use of color by the guard, the staging of the colors used, the impact of colors, use din tandem with the musical highlights were unmatched and blew the Scouts away. Again its a case of BD being so perfect, so smooth, it "apeared" to be easy, but as far as drill design goes, none that night was better at taking the music and offering it to the audience with visual accompaniment.

No drill offered better staging, better transitions, and greater impact that night the the Blue Devils.

Too bad they never get the credit they deserve for this show, its one of the best of all time.

~G~

'88 BD is one of my all time favorite shows and I agree 'G that the Guard equipment was colorful enough to counter the grey of the uniforms and complimented each tune. What about those pin wheel flags. That was a nice touch. Their uniforms (costumes) also had that metalic blue lining that stood out nicely too.

Traveling cross country to different shows that Summer, we caught BD many times and thought they probably had the winner. I've got to admit however that even though it was a "perfect" show for them execution wise, it fell flat for me emotionally when compared to what I had seen throughout the season. Don't know what it was. Something was just missing and I can't put my finger on it. Were they "too" perfect? Or, maybe their attitude of total confidence with their incoming position (undefeated), wasn't enough to put it over the top. Compared to Madison and especially SCVs pure emotional production, it didn't move me as much. Eh, we'll never really know now because the DVDs can't show the true emotional impact of a show that seeing it live does, ever.

Without mentioning a specific corps, did anyone else notice a large amount of phasing in an opener only at finals?

88 was my third year in Regiment.

We got hosed with the screwey drawing for finals performance order, but with our show I think 6th was reasonable.

I loved BD but I think they peaked at Drums along the Rockies

Loved Madison but thought they only had half a show (Malaguena), but what a killer half they had.

Thought SCV should have won.

BUT THE THING I REMEMBER MOST ABOUT 1988......

is the fact it was 110 degrees every day that summer.

I recall we had a practice day in Arkansas that summer and the thermometer at the field read 127.

again, these are just my opinions and I have been known to be wrong.

Overall it was a great summer but thought 89 was better.

I will always hold the opinion that 1986-1993 was the golden age of DCI

Out of the tick system things took off, but since the early 90s I think its declined.

• 3 weeks later...

~G~

If you make a few more posts that agree with me I might begin to respect you.

Be careful as mature thought leads to maturity. :sshh:

BD was amazing in '88. DCI Champsionships through secret draw. But then it is still about the kids.

Edited by iluvdc

I think Bd should have one, hands down. That is my all time favorite show and is what got me hooked on drum corps adn the Devils. Later I became one.

No, I'm not bias. :P

BD, the the Scouts and the Vannguard. I love all three of those shows...but Bd should have one IMO.