DCI '88

1988 was a superb year for all drum corps,too close to call for me,but how would you of called it ?

Do you agree with the placements ?

Do you concur with the conspiricy theory's over the Scouts win ?

BD 3rd ?

Suncoast too ahead of their time ???

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That depends - what is your conspiracy theory over the Scouts' win?

I thick the screw was on in all 3 classes

I sat at the top of the stadium near the boxes. From that vantage point Madison had an unbelievable show. The GE generated by actually cleaning their drill for the first time in years was stunning. Combine a clean drill with that horn line and they were tough to beat. Both BD and SCV were fantastic that night also. In my mind it was a toss-up.

1988 was a superb year for all drum corps,too close to call for me,but how would you of called it ? 

Do you agree with the placements ?

Do you concur with the conspiricy theory's over the Scouts win ?

BD 3rd ?

Suncoast too ahead of their time ???

I thought we Madison folks were all "grassy knoll conspiracy" nutjobs. But when Madison wins, its okay to consider conspiracy?

The fact the scores were not divulged to other judges to my mind, makes '88 the ONLY year in modern drumcorps where the outcome was 100% unbiased. The real question that should arise from that year is why DCI dumped the format after only one year? BTW, 88 Madison was not my favorite year and the win was as much a surprise to me as others. The way it was arrived at however means (to me) it is a valid championship. Under the old tick system, there were a number of champions that were not the favorite. But nobody could argue that they were not the best at accomplishing what they set out to accomplish. The 1988 format went a long way to attempt to establish a bias free outcome. Pity they discontinued it.

Edited by dans24103

I marched in DCI Finals in Kansas City in 1988, with the Santa Clara Vanguard. We beat the Blue Devils. We lost to the Madison Scouts.

I really don't have any complaints how the season turned out. I thought that Madison was fantastic and they deserved their title, and by the end of the season we'd cleaned up our act enough to give the Blue Devils a run for their money after getting spanked all season long.

I stomp them.

I marched in DCI Finals in Kansas City in 1988, with the Santa Clara Vanguard.  We beat the Blue Devils.  We lost to the Madison Scouts.

Yeah Rich,

I remember that year the nice bond we had with the Scouts, like when we did you'll never walk alone with them in that fieldhouse in Seiverville, TN because the weather was so bad. Folks got a real treat that night.

I also remember standing out with the other contras at retreat, and hearing, "At least it was Scouts and not Devils." We all seemed cool with it.

You mentioned getting spanked, and this is weirdly off topic, but for years I remembered getting our clocks cleaned at the first show we did with Dev's. I remembered clear as a bell it was like, a twelve point difference, we got crushed, right?

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I went on CorpsReps and looked up the scores for that year, and lo and behold, it was only THREE points! And after we went our own way, we won every other show that year, until the end of course.

It's funny what we carry with us all these years later. For me, mainly just images, just a few real specifics. Anyways, just seemed like the right time to bring it up. See ya bro.

Jeff Banyots

p.s. Nice to see you switched to the dark side, horn wise I mean! Woof!

J

Edited by JeffBanyots