Teal Sound 2013

This has been LONG AWAITED: The Management and Staff of Teal Sound Drum and Bugle Corps is Excited to announce that Teal Sound will field a corps for the 2013 season. Teal Sound was recently given a financial donation that was able to clear ALL debt of the organization, thus making it possible for the corps return. Teal Sound has a great deal of ground to cover to insure that we remain financially stable moving forward, thus ask that all FRIENDS OF TEAL show their support and visit our website in the coming days with information on how to support the corps. We will also be making the official announcement of audition locations. Your continued support will ensure that Teal Sound is around for many years to come! ~Nothing Else Matters

Great News!

• Like 1

Yay good news about drum corps and money for once lol

Hmmm . . . . color me skeptical.

Someone has posted the above announcement on the TS Facebook wall. But no one from TS is answering the many questions that naturally have followed, such as: who is the director? If this is the way TS is making such a dramatic announcement, they're doing it in a sloppy way -- not the sort of impression the corps would want to make if it were serious, especially after the way things collapsed in 2012.

There is not a word about this on the TS website at this hour. Why the delay? Why ANY delay?

There is not a word about this at dci.org, or on DCI's Facebook wall, at this hour.

There is not a word about it at jacksonville.com, the news website for the Florida Times-Union, in Jacksonville.

I hope it's true, but so far, this has the air of a hoax.

• Like 10

Skeptical and worried in Florida...

As I former staff member, I'm more than just a little concerned about these 'announcements". Numerous former members are asking about refunds. There have been many questions as to who is running it, who's on the board, who's on staff, etc. The only "answer" given was to contact "someone" (with a you-know-who kind of tone), and they'd tell you all about it. I don't even know who this mythical "someone" is, and I worked for the corps for three years! A lot of posts are being deleted off the FB page, mostly the ones asking for refunds from last year and asking who is in charge. There are still un-paid staff members from 2011. I'm one of them. All this adds up, at least to me, as an insincere, or at least misguided, attempt to get Teal back going. And there in no way DCI would let them come back as World Class as some have insisted, and I don't see DCI letting them come back at all without some serious discussion and some rock solid, measurable answers.

Just a few other questions;

Where's the equipment?

Where are they rehearsing?

Who's on staff?

Who's designing the program?

What are the arrangements to handle finances?

How are they touring?

What about the 2012 members?

What about past debts?

Having gone through the demise of Suncoast Sound, Florida Wave/Florida Vanguard, and now Teal Sound, and having to watch Magic of Orlando and a dozen or so other FL DC's also vanish, I, for one, am not optimistic about the future of drum corps in Florida. Until someone with solid BUSINESS experience, not someone who marched for one year, runs it, we will never have another world class DC in Florida, and that's a shame with all the talented performers, teachers, and designers we have in this state (who are all marching, teaching, or designing for just about every other DC in the country). My own son didn't even look at Teal, he went to Spirit. He didn't make the final cut, but he had a great experience while he was there.

I am not holding my breath. I'm afraid that DC will have to not exist in FL for a few years and the memories of Teal will have to fade before anyone will be willing to make an honest, heart-felt, solidly business minded attempt to bring DC back to the state.

Edited by Steve Knob
  • Like 5

Skeptical and worried in Florida...

According to the posting by MotorCity:

...Teal Sound was recently given a financial donation that was able to clear ALL debt of the organization...,

Well, All Debt means All Debt: So, apparently you (Steve Knob) got paid, the rest of the staff who are owed got paid, the kids who were shafted out of their dues money got paid back, ... Hooray; this new found Teal corps is apparently the greatest thing within the new era of DCI. Or, this is another attempt at a very bad business decision!!!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 5

Stu, I wish I had gotten paid.

I am pretty sure your post was meant to be sarcastic, but this is very serious to those of us here in FL that have watched DC's come and go. And I'm worried that your last sentence is what may be going on. We are tired of it. Unfortunately, I'm just a poor designer and teacher. I'm not qualified to run the business side of a DC. And until that person comes along, we'll not have a DC in FL. Right now, I'd rather see a poor performing drum corps that had a solid business foundation than another 5 year flash in the pan, no matter what their placement.

Edited by Steve Knob

According to the posting by MotorCity:

Well, All Debt means All Debt: So, apparently you (Steve Knob) got paid, the rest of the staff who are owed got paid, the kids who were shafted out of their dues money got paid back, ... Hooray; this new found Teal corps is apparently the greatest thing within the new era of DCI. Or, this is another attempt at a very bad business decision!!!

Guess you saw South Park last night, eh? You just can't turn it off! </sarcasm>

• Like 2