Risk in Drum Corps ...

2002 Crossmen know what hard is right??? And I bet you didn't even get a chance to push them as much as you wanted then! lol

And they were marching Darryl Pemberton drill then....

It wasn't risky. It was just a creative element that was neither a success or a failure. It was just there. Risk in drum corps needs to have an inherent WOW! factor not an inherent WUT? factor.

Was it something I never saw so bluntly done on a football field? Yes. Was it something that I do every day? Yes. So what makes that risky?

Being Rediculous is not Risky. After all drum corps have been doing rediculous things on the field for years.

Risk is more than complexity, difficulty or originality, isn't it? SCV adding the bottle dance tag for finals was risky, wasn't it? Star choosing to play less than expected in '93 was risky, wasn't it?

BD getting dressed on the field last summer wasn't difficult, per se. It was risky because there was the possibility that the visual judges wouldn't like the appearance as members dressed at different times and in different ways. Put it this way, if the marching had been like the dressing, the scores wouldn't have been like the scores on most judges' sheets.

Now some will say BD and the top corps have the judges in the designers' back pockets, so nothing they do is risky. Don't bring that weak stuff. Cavies' risk didn't pay off this year while BD's did.

HH

Cadets showed was an entertaining and well performed show that I think paid off for them in the crowd pleasing area. Performing Christmas music could have been a disaster, but it ended up being a lot of fun.

Blue Knights show, esp the opening, was a risky show that ended up being my own favorite show of last year, and in my top 10 of all shows in this century.

• Like 2

Risk is more than complexity, difficulty or originality, isn't it? SCV adding the bottle dance tag for finals was risky, wasn't it? Star choosing to play less than expected in '93 was risky, wasn't it?

BD getting dressed on the field last summer wasn't difficult, per se. It was risky because there was the possibility that the visual judges wouldn't like the appearance as members dressed at different times and in different ways. Put it this way, if the marching had been like the dressing, the scores wouldn't have been like the scores on most judges' sheets.

Now some will say BD and the top corps have the judges in the designers' back pockets, so nothing they do is risky. Don't bring that weak stuff. Cavies' risk didn't pay off this year while BD's did.

HH

The examples you said were risky but no way DCI in 2012 can consider getting dressed on the field risky! Lol it's laughable compared to everything else we've seen in the past!? Changing uniform in the open is risky??

Sitting in chairs during a show and playing was risky. Micing drum speak was risky, acting silly in a show... not risky, especially the 3rd -5th time you've acted silly. The standards of risk go up every year and frankly nothing this year really stood out as risky except Surf's comedy (b/c comedy always has a chance to backfire miserably).

Cadets Christnas show... somewhat risky

BK show, costumes, drill, synth... somewhat risky

Cavies... Not risky, just poor design/planning

Crown... somewhat risky drill execution, risky ensemble moments

• Like 1

Speakin' of risk. I'd support a measure where [some group of people] vote on the difficulty/risk of show, giving it a number from 0 to 10, with 10 being the most difficult. Then the final score is multiplied by that factor for final placement.

One proposal would be to poll the corps directors at each regional, asking them to rate (not rank) all other World Class corps from 0 to 10, and use the average risk factor as a multiplier in the next regional. Thus, there would be a final vote the regional before finals used for finals.

Or poll the audience in real time for all I care, via text. Or poll ALL judges all summer.

The risk factor is not to be treated as a ranking by the evaluator...it's possible to rate three difficult shows equally, and call them all 10s, or 9s, whatever. I suppose it *could* be viable to ask everyone to rank difficulty, but that takes too much time. Decimals are allowed, and encouraged, and will be part of the averaging process anyway.

If everyone were being objective (impossible), you'd get a good read of what is PERCEIVED as risky/difficult (if polling the audience), or ACTUAL (if polling the corps directors or judges...assuming they know better). I'm not sure the distinction matters!

Ex: If BD comes out with a Risk Score of 9.54, and Crown comes out with 9.63, Crown has a small chance of "over-taking" BD for a "risk-adjusted score" championship.

You'd have 2 champions every year: The Judged Champion, and the Risk Adjusted Champion.

If you want to lower the potential for it becoming a popularity metric (and you want to use the audience), then create two metrics: Fan Fav and Risk. The audience will then be more likely to be objective about the difference. Yes, you will still have people who give their fav corps a 10 in both metrics, lol. You could get stats involved, using error margins/standard deviations, etc, throwing out the outliers, etc.

If you incorporated BOTH metrics (fan fav and risk) you'd start getting shows that are popular AND cutting edge!

WIN WIN!

I do love this idea very much.