Risk in Drum Corps ...

I don't know what happened! I usually get that right. Gonna be a long day ...

Bluecoats!

HH

I will dig deep inside myself and forgive you...this time.

But watch it, buster...You're on my list now. :tongue:

I'll grant that Dada had some elements in common with Absurdity. But not risky? Getting dressed on the field alone, I think, rates as one of the riskiest visual concepts ever. (I personally think it wasn't a success, but that's a different discussion.)

HH

I thought the Crossmen took a risk because they actually played a show that required the musicians to use multiple styles and play long musical phrases... with a less talented corps than many other corps who play "chop and bop" drum corps music.

• Like 1

I'll grant that Dada had some elements in common with Absurdity. But not risky? Getting dressed on the field alone, I think, rates as one of the riskiest visual concepts ever. (I personally think it wasn't a success, but that's a different discussion.)

HH

It wasn't risky. It was just a creative element that was neither a success or a failure. It was just there. Risk in drum corps needs to have an inherent WOW! factor not an inherent WUT? factor.

Was it something I never saw so bluntly done on a football field? Yes. Was it something that I do every day? Yes. So what makes that risky?

Being Rediculous is not Risky. After all drum corps have been doing rediculous things on the field for years.

• Like 4

I think I have to agree that as far as "risk" is concerned, this was not a risky year. That's not to say there were not great shows. I loved this past year. But in my opinion, there were some moderate risks, some that worked, others that did not.

Risks that paid off:

Blue Devils took a huge risk. That show could have been a disaster if anything ever went wrong.

Phantom's show was a risk as well. Opera does not always translate well on the drum corps field. Also, Puccini has such an emotional pull on people and poeple expect it to be nothing less than perfect.

Crossmen attempted and succeeded with a show that many considered too difficult for the corps, but if you were at semi's, it was a risk that paid off.

Surf took a huge gamble. I had a feeling it would be well received, but it could have just been a silly copycat show, and where the Bridgemen are so beloved in drum corps fans' memories, it could have been a laughing stock at best. They also took a chance by performing a show that was so well received. They'll have to top it in 2013.

Risks that didn't pay off

Blue Knights--I didn't get it and more than a few BK fans didn't get it either. BD had an unusual show, as did Cavies, but their shows were easier to follow.

Troopers: the concept was original, had potential and was slightly different for the corps, the music was reasonably well performed, but somehow the show didn't fit together.

Blue Stars: I thought their show was very good, and they were extremely gracious in what was a disappointing finish, but there were some perception problems for fans. If we look at the "sailor" rifles, they were fantastic, and my guess is the uniforms were meantt to make them stand out, and I don't say this to be glib or sarcastic, but they looked a bit Gene Kelly "Anchors Aweigh" in a show that was more Marlon Brando "On the Waterfront." They used a bit of deliberate pause as they began "New World Symphony," something that works well in an orchestral hall, but when performed by the corps made us expect the theme from "Jaws."

Anytime that you step on the feild it's a risk. Just when you think that you have the show down to where you want it to be something jumps up and bites you on the butt.

• Like 1

Somebody thought the Crossmen show was too hard???

Hmmm...

:rock:

Had variety and long phrases, and melody... some physical challenges on long phrases... but... TOO HARD?

:doh:

We haven't approached hard yet... yet.

:devil:

peace and love,

Chuck Naffier

I think I have to agree that as far as "risk" is concerned, this was not a risky year. That's not to say there were not great shows. I loved this past year. But in my opinion, there were some moderate risks, some that worked, others that did not.

Risks that paid off:

Blue Devils took a huge risk. That show could have been a disaster if anything ever went wrong.

Phantom's show was a risk as well. Opera does not always translate well on the drum corps field. Also, Puccini has such an emotional pull on people and poeple expect it to be nothing less than perfect.

Crossmen attempted and succeeded with a show that many considered too difficult for the corps, but if you were at semi's, it was a risk that paid off.

Surf took a huge gamble. I had a feeling it would be well received, but it could have just been a silly copycat show, and where the Bridgemen are so beloved in drum corps fans' memories, it could have been a laughing stock at best. They also took a chance by performing a show that was so well received. They'll have to top it in 2013.

Risks that didn't pay off

Blue Knights--I didn't get it and more than a few BK fans didn't get it either. BD had an unusual show, as did Cavies, but their shows were easier to follow.

Troopers: the concept was original, had potential and was slightly different for the corps, the music was reasonably well performed, but somehow the show didn't fit together.

Blue Stars: I thought their show was very good, and they were extremely gracious in what was a disappointing finish, but there were some perception problems for fans. If we look at the "sailor" rifles, they were fantastic, and my guess is the uniforms were meantt to make them stand out, and I don't say this to be glib or sarcastic, but they looked a bit Gene Kelly "Anchors Aweigh" in a show that was more Marlon Brando "On the Waterfront." They used a bit of deliberate pause as they began "New World Symphony," something that works well in an orchestral hall, but when performed by the corps made us expect the theme from "Jaws."

• Like 1