Mnozil Brass -- Blue

What's up with the trumpets? I'm a drummer and to my eye a few of those instruments look a bit odd.

• Like 1

What's up with the trumpets? I'm a drummer and to my eye a few of those instruments look a bit odd.

One of them plays on a trumpet with rotary valves, like what French horns and concert tubas use. The others I'm not sure on.

Sam 'ol buddy, did you read my thread on BD 2012 sampling the "everybody" from Mnozil Brass? If you didn't, don't worry, nobody else saw it either. :rolleyes:

BD 2012 thread

Actually, with the same swing and vibe as "when a Man Loves a Woman" I can see another group in Blue from Concord, California doing "Blue" as a closer. :cool:

+++

Thomas Gansch is the solist in the Blue tune you referenced, and he is playing of course, a Gansch horn!

Gansch horn

Sam 'ol buddy, did you read my thread on BD 2012 sampling the "everybody" from Mnozil Brass?

Yeah....for some reason, I thought I saw it on Facebook, so I reposted it here!

Therefore....to FB I go!

On an All Age note...if not old Spirit playing this....how about CorpsVets? Hunter Moss on lead??? OOOoohhh YES! :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

A Gansch horn is a rotary trumpet but it has a "faux" piston so that you can handle it like a valve trumpet. You get the articulation "advantages" of a rotary (the notes "pop") with the power of a valve trumpet but can also control the sound to an extent with your left hand.

Edited by CloudHype

A Gansch horn is a rotary trumpet but it has a "faux" piston so that you can handle it like a valve trumpet. You get the articulation "advantages" of a rotary (the notes "pop") with the power of a valve trumpet but can also control the sound to an extent with your left hand.

Yeah....I looked at a clear pic on the manufacturer's site at http://www.schagerl.com/en/Gansch-Horn/menu-id-88.html

Kinda hard to tell from the side pic, but it looks like the bend in the top is to make room for the rotors...and the straightness yet upwardness of the bell flare is simply to avoid impeding air flow.

The "Killer Queen" model flugel has the same design element.

• Like 1

Looks like the whole band plays Schageri Brass. I just find quirky items fascinating, and despite getting a negative vote I still think they look odd....in a cool way.

Are the rotary valves that much better or is it a matter of choice? Does the bend in the pipe leading to the bell affect sound much? If I were a horn player I would buy one just to be different.

Looks like the whole band plays Schageri Brass. I just find quirky items fascinating, and despite getting a negative vote I still think they look odd....in a cool way.

Are the rotary valves that much better or is it a matter of choice? Does the bend in the pipe leading to the bell affect sound much? If I were a horn player I would buy one just to be different.

It sure doesn't seem to affect the sound on the vid. The Gansch horns sound the same as the rotary trumpet, a standard trumpet, or even (gasp) a 2/3 valve soprano, especially to an untrained ear.

I think the thing about the rotary valves is there's less "throw" to change the note...vertical pistons DO have a distance to travel compared to a rotary.

• Like 1