Just a quick question about auditions

So I'm going up to san antonio next weekend, and was wondering something.

I have my own king euph (got off ebay for a steal), but the Bluecoats use Yamahas.

I was wondering if I brought my euph, if I'd be able to spend some good time on the Yamahas, as I heard they're pretty good instruments, maybe even better than the King that I have (definitely lighter :tongue:), and I might sound better on it? I don't know.

Or if I could just not bring it and use one of their horns, but they are encouraging people to bring their own horns.

I'd just like to spend a lot of time with a Yamaha euph, learning it's tuning tendencies, weight distribution, resistance (the King seems to have a lot of resistance in the upper register, something I'm not too fond of, or maybe it's just my 51D mouthpiece.)

Thanks!

Take your own horn. At auditions there is little time to try different horns. Play the best you can.

• Like 1

... they are encouraging people to bring their own horns.

The corps staff is requesting that because they want to hear you on an instrument to which you're already accustomed. They want you to be as comfortable as possible, knowing that if you make the line, you'll adjust to whatever is given to you to play. Anyone who's concerned about tuning tendencies, weight distribution and resistance as you are is likely to be substantially competent enough to make a good impression on whatever they're playing. Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff, even if it seems not so small to you. You'll do well.

• Like 3

They will make sure everybody gets a chance on the Yamaha instruments, but bring your own for the rest of the time. When I auditioned last year, they didn't bother bringing their equipment truck because it was in California, so we had one Yamaha contra for the dozen or so tuba auditionees but everybody got to try it. I was the only one there who wasn't able to bring any instrument at all, so I sang/buzzed most of the time which, while it worked well enough, is something I strongly recommend against if you can help it (less of a problem for anything smaller than a tuba...) :dry:

Ok cool thanks for the tips!

When I auditioned last year, they didn't bother bringing their equipment truck because it was in California, so we had one Yamaha contra for the dozen or so tuba auditionees but everybody got to try it. I was the only one there who wasn't able to bring any instrument at all, so I sang/buzzed most of the time which, while it worked well enough, is something I strongly recommend against if you can help it (less of a problem for anything smaller than a tuba...) :dry:

wow haha how did that work out with the ensemble? Did you just have one tuba playing at a time? :blink:

wow haha how did that work out with the ensemble? Did you just have one tuba playing at a time? :blink:

Oh haha no, other people brought concert tubas but i wasn't able to fly one down there. We just had one marching tuba for visual block and the individual musical audition, which we shared. Sorry for the confusion :)