Alabama Charioteers

I have brought them up a few times but man were they an awesome small corps back in the 1970s. Love to hear your stories. Bring'em on!!!

• Like 2

The Charioteers got off to an unusual start on the national scene. They were good enough at 1971 American Legion Nationals prelims that they made the final cut. Only problem was that

the new corps didn't bother to learn a full show that year (just the shortened prelims drill). They had to pull out of finals, and were replaced by a lower-placing corps.

They placed an impressive 22nd at the 1972 DCI Championship, beating Phantom Regiment.

Then there was the 1973 U.S. Open, where of the 85 corps that competed in all classes, the Charioteers placed #1 in M & M execution, only to place #50 in M & M GE.

Edited by Northern Thunder

The Charioteers got off to an unusual start on the national scene. They were good enough at 1971 American Legion Nationals prelims that they made the final cut. Only problem was that

the new corps didn't bother to learn a full show that year (just the shortened prelims drill). They had to pull out of finals, and were replaced by a lower-placing corps.

Keesler Air Force Base corps also only had a prelim show at the 1963 WO ... they too did not expect to make finals but did, due to many of the Sr corps not showing up ... in finals, the did their show ... ran back to the starting line ... and did it again!!!!!

Hey ... ya can't make this stuff up!!!!!

:-)

They placed an impressive 22nd at the 1972 DCI Championship, beating Phantom Regiment.

Then there was the 1973 U.S. Open, where of the 85 corps that competed in all classes, the Charioteers placed #1 in M & M execution, only to place #50 in M & M GE.

Saw the Charioteers a couple of times in 1973 and 1974. They were terrific! Big sound for a small corps.

First time I saw them was US Open prelims 1972. They had the same size triples that we did (Large) and also did "March of the Charioteers." I also saw them at the NT Open where they rehearsed at my high school 74 or 75, and they were rehearsing Chicago's "Just You and Me." Beautiful sound for a small corps. The kids in the corps were so polite and socialable too.

• 1 month later...

When I taught Spirit of Atlanta in the late 70's there were more than a few members who had marched in the Charioteers. Also, many of you might not know that Robert W. Smith marched in the Charioteers.

Edited by Russellrks
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I taught Spirit of Atlanta in the late 70's there were more than a few members who had marched in the Charioteers. Also, many of you might not know that Robert W. Smith marched in the Charioteers.

I was one of those Spirit members who got my drum corps start in the Charioteers. Others that I can think of right off the top of my head were DM Don Grimsley, mellophone Gary Hopkins, the Mattle sisters in the guard, Cyndi Smith, also in the guard, and I think Tim Byrd in the snare line also marched Charioteers. And yes, Robert W. Smith was in the soprano line in 1976.

• Like 2

Ray Eyler was the brass caption head in 1976, but I'm not sure if he arranged the book.

Ray also worked with the Crossmen in '76. I remember giving him a ride from Charioteers rehearsal in Birmingham to McEachern High School west of Atlanta the day before the Atlanta show in 1976. I think that was the same day that the Crossmen had gotten disqualified for the season for having an overage member.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...