Carolina Crown 2013

Wait a minute...the same guy writes both the horn & drum charts? Can someone confirm this? Just doesn't sound right to me.

My impression was that Wayne Downey writes the brass book and has basically nothing to do with the percussion book. Someone from BD posted a comment a couple weeks ago letting someone know how it all worked, actually, but I can't find it, so... :lookaround:

Edited by skywhopper

Dave Glyde was in the snare line there. He writes the brass book, and has for a while. I don't know how much of the drum book he writes. I wonder if he gives an outline, and Scott fills it in ....

From BD's web site... "Dave has been their Music Coordinator/Director and in-house composer/arranger since 2003 to the present". A very good friend of mine was on their drum staff for a few years and is good friends with Scott, that's where my info comes from. David writes brass and percussion and Scott put his twist on it.

Edited by JKT90

Was just looking at the San Antonio thread and there's one thing that really is easy to find on almost every page. Everyone thinks the drum line is killing them........Is that really true? I mean I've read the recaps and everything and can pretty well understand them. Earlier in this thread it was explained that the battery is so low is because this is a brass book type show. Can the battery be turned around? How would they go about to dramatically improve them in time for finals? I'm still not worried and I kinda agree with the scores from tonight because it seemed Crown was a bit off tonight. I'm sure thats' a fluke because some of the things I heard/saw on the fan network broadcast I have never seen them make before. I still don't think Crowns' battery is going as bad as everyone's making them out to be but it seems they need a new routine or way of practicing to improve them for the road ahead.........your thoughts?

It's just my opinion, and there are others here who follow the judging sheets much closer than I do. But to me it seems as the horn book is written> Space Odessy / Abyss/triple tounging brass feature, it is hard to write enough percussion content to compliment that without sounding out of place, and I think they are getting dinged for it. As an example, in one part of the show where the drum line is front left and standing still where the judge can stand in front of them, what they are playing fits well with the horn line, but it is not hard stuff they are playing there. I don't believe it's because their line isn't clean, I believe it is the level of notes that they are playing, the execution level is just not as high as BD, Cadets, SCV or Cavies. And I don't think it is the arrangers fault, I think they wrote what they could. There isn't a lot of area in the show to really show case their drum line...a mean a lot of what the brass plays you wouldn't want to NOT feature that, so the percussion section supports in the background. When compared to Cadets playing flam city, ramming notes or BD playing a ton of notes in their line, or SCV playing some really difficult stuff, that is where the line is suffering. Again, it's only my opinion. If they can get to the 4th in drums I think they win...IF they were scoring 1st or 2nd in drums they would be practically uncatchable...but it's their musical content that hurts them, not talent or execution. I love the show, and want to see them win it this year, it's my favorite show right with SCV and Spirit. I don't know what they can do, but I hope they figure it out.

I don't think the percussion is "killing them". It is their weakest section but still time to go. My issue is the corps seems to be having more off nights and did they peak too soon? Overall, they are the corps most likely to win the gold. Maybe BD is cleaning up nicely but not sure that show is better. I think Cadets winning overall GE is more of a concern especially once they clean that guard. (Their nemesis). I still have Crown in #1 in Indy slightly over Cadets.

Thats the score part that was a bit off last night.....Crown getting 3rd GE Visual didn't make sense at all to me, I don't know where they got that at.....I don't think they peaked already...well I hope they haven't. I know that every time I've seen them live(twice) or on the fan network(4 or 5 times) They have improved dramatically, except this last time. I'd love for my first DCI finals experience produces a win for Crown, Luckily the last two times BD has come out as 1st, BD's lead is only .1 and .25 ahead. Last when Crown beat BD it was by .95, a much larger spread than BD to Crown.

Edited by msumello

Lot of changes coming this week...

Going to be some interesting shows this weekend.

• Like 1