Carolina Crown 2013

TL;DR It's the fans I don't care for, not the corps.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous with this I'm-the-victim spiel. When it comes to criticism on DCP it's not what you say that causes an uproar but rather how you say it. I've been critical of Crown but didn't get piled on because I didn't intentionally word my posts in a way that would rile up fans. Crowns fans can be over the top but are generally okay. IMO they're nowhere close to being the most sensitive fanbase in DCI.

• Like 1

I think you're being a bit disingenuous with this I'm-the-victim spiel. When it comes to criticism on DCP it's not what you say that causes an uproar but rather how you say it. I've been critical of Crown but didn't get piled on because I didn't intentionally word my posts in a way that would rile up fans. Crowns fans can be over the top but are generally okay. IMO they're nowhere close to being the most sensitive fanbase in DCI.

This. Sorry JamMan, but until that last post, it's been a long time since I have seen anything reasoned coming from you on a Crown board. It's mostly just bait. That's fine, but don't act like your negative responses are for nothing.

This. Sorry JamMan, but until that last post, it's been a long time since I have seen anything reasoned coming from you on a Crown board. It's mostly just bait. That's fine, but don't act like your negative responses are for nothing.

I'm a very critical person often on the side of harshness. Probably comes from all my years of drum corps. You'd have to look back on my posts to about 2006 (I think it was with this account) to find my reasoned arguments. Since then, my comments have fallen on deaf ears as I've watched Crown improve, yet not at the rate they should be. I want to see them win and it's frustrating to see them come up short on show design year after year while fans heap on praise for being this new and fresh corps when all they're doing is something that one or more corps did the previous year.

• Like 5

I'm a very critical person often on the side of harshness. Probably comes from all my years of drum corps. You'd have to look back on my posts to about 2006 (I think it was with this account) to find my reasoned arguments. Since then, my comments have fallen on deaf ears as I've watched Crown improve, yet not at the rate they should be. I want to see them win and it's frustrating to see them come up short on show design year after year while fans heap on praise for being this new and fresh corps when all they're doing is something that one or more corps did the previous year.

Well, the saying is "Don't dish it out if you can't take it." If you're going to be "harsh" then don't cry when it's thrown right back in your face. Most everyone on here has had extensive drum corps experience and seem to know the difference between open, honest, criticism and trollish jacka##ery. Let's look at a couple of examples.

Example 1: "I respect Crown and want them to win, but I wish they weren't so derivative. I think that may be holding them back."

Example 2: "I liked it better when Madison did it every year from around 1977 to today."

Which post is more likely to get a negative reaction? Which post is more useful to furthering discussion rather than picking a fight? Sure example 1 might have garnered some negative reactions, but it wouldn't have been as extreme. And so what if some Crown fans complain about BD all the time? What does that have to do with the corps? I find that many Scouts fans are prickly in the extreme when it comes to ANY slight to their corps, real or imagined, but I don't confuse them with the Scouts and don't let them stop from rooting for that corps.

Edited by Rifuarian

Hello! I'm pointing out the very reasons Crown did not win colorguard content and only barely won brass!

o.O I'm having a little trouble understanding this one. They won brass by six tenths over Finals weekend, with a performance that I'd say is pretty uncontroversially in the discussion for best brass performances ever (I think there's a thread to this effect somewhere). I suppose they "only" won brass on Finals night by one tenth, but they had a 19.8, a crazy high score for brass, which I'm pretty sure typically tops out in the 19.4-19.6 range (not sure where there's an archive of caption scores to check this). Although credit where it's due, BD last season had one of the best hornlines I've heard from them in years.

Double this.

I don't think JamMan was even replied to in the Crown 2012 thread. He pretty much just trolled here and everyone ignored it.

• Like 3

Well, the saying is "Don't dish it out if you can't take it." If you're going to be "harsh" then don't cry when it's thrown right back in your face. Most everyone on here has had extensive drum corps experience and seem to know the difference between open, honest, criticism and trollish jacka##ery. Let's look at a couple of examples.

Example 1: "I respect Crown and want them to win, but I wish they weren't so derivative. I think that may be holding them back."

Example 2: "I liked it better when Madison did it every year from around 1977 to today."

Which post is more likely to get a negative reaction? Which post is more useful to furthering discussion rather than picking a fight? Sure example 1 might have garnered some negative reactions, but it wouldn't have been as extreme. And so what if some Crown fans complain about BD all the time? What does that have to do with the corps? I find that many Scouts fans are prickly in the extreme when it comes to ANY slight to their corps, real or imagined, but I don't confuse them with the Scouts and don't let them stop from rooting for that corps.

Geeze, why can't Crown threads ever take a joke? Wow, they're playing Latin-flavored music and I pointed out a corps that used to play nothing but. People can either ignore it, find it in good humor, or try to tear me down. It's obvious which way that went.

Now you're asking what the fans that complain about BD and DCI have to do with the corps? It reflects poorly on the corps! Haven't you met someone who hate the Red Sox/Yankees/Heat? Why would they hate a good team? Sometimes it's the members, but a lot of times it's the fans! Am I going to root for a corps when a fans tells me he didn't like a show/corps that I like or have a personal tie with when I never asked for their opinion? Not really.

Now I'm not asking for people to just let criticisms go un-flamed (this IS the Internet, after all), but just listen to different viewpoints. ESPECIALLY in the corps's catch-all topic. This isn't "Crown Appreciation 2013", it's just "Carolina Crown 2013". If I have a criticism, it's going here.

Anyway, I can go on, but calling out mannerisms of fans and members won't do any good. I'll just keep watching and cheering just like everyone else and commenting on what I like and don't like.

PS There are a couple other corps whose close supporters bashed DCI non-stop when they moved up to Div I and I still don't support that corps. Same with some Open Class corps now.

• Like 4

Geeze, why can't Crown threads ever take a joke? Wow, they're playing Latin-flavored music and I pointed out a corps that used to play nothing but. People can either ignore it, find it in good humor, or try to tear me down. It's obvious which way that went.

Now you're asking what the fans that complain about BD and DCI have to do with the corps? It reflects poorly on the corps! Haven't you met someone who hate the Red Sox/Yankees/Heat? Why would they hate a good team? Sometimes it's the members, but a lot of times it's the fans! Am I going to root for a corps when a fans tells me he didn't like a show/corps that I like or have a personal tie with when I never asked for their opinion? Not really.

Now I'm not asking for people to just let criticisms go un-flamed (this IS the Internet, after all), but just listen to different viewpoints. ESPECIALLY in the corps's catch-all topic. This isn't "Crown Appreciation 2013", it's just "Carolina Crown 2013". If I have a criticism, it's going here.

Anyway, I can go on, but calling out mannerisms of fans and members won't do any good. I'll just keep watching and cheering just like everyone else and commenting on what I like and don't like.

PS There are a couple other corps whose close supporters bashed DCI non-stop when they moved up to Div I and I still don't support that corps. Same with some Open Class corps now.

Ah, Internet Evasion Tactic #12: "It's just a joke! I'm joking! Why can't you guys take a joke?" Hint: Humor tinged with some kind of underlying bitterness, grudge, mean-spiritedness, etc. does not work. No one will take your obvious baiting with good humor. And again, it seems like you want everyone to take your barbs in stride while you're whining about being bashed. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. It's not that hard to point out what you like and don't like without being attacked.

As for the rest of the post: I'm a huge, huge sports fan. But I like to think that drum corps folks are above the childish tribalism that some sports fans indulge in. Guess that's not the case. It's not hard to separate a corps from that small, small, minuscule handful of fans who might have dared annoy you at some point in time.

• Like 1

As for the rest of the post: I'm a huge, huge sports fan. But I like to think that drum corps folks are above the childish tribalism that some sports fans indulge in. Guess that's not the case. It's not hard to separate a corps from that small, small, minuscule handful of fans who might have dared annoy you at some point in time.

Well, it's a handful for you. It's a majority for me.

• Like 2